Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Aww :blush: I'm only good at church singing - sadly I'm a soprano not a singer but that still means a lot And the reason I wrote sjuthani is that I normally try to stick to people's usernames on the forum in case it confuses anyone. You'll notice I refer to Will as Drogue... although I don't think I've called Chloe Hoofbeat since before I came up so maybe that's wrong
    Lol. Well Drogue sounds like it could be a name...Hoofbeat really doesn't! Boo, I really need to meet you at some point, especially as our colleges are so close! Hopefully we'll meet through the Turl St Musical (and maybe I'll meet Sam too when you bring him along )

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't like it when TSR members who know each other in real life call each other by their real names rather than their forum names when on TSR... I think it propagates cliquey-ness (sp?!) on the forum and that makes other people feel left out but it's everyone's forum and whilst it's inevitable that some people are going to know each other irl I don't think that in-jokes or whatever are good for the forum dynamics. :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agrippina)
    Personally I don't like it when TSR members who know each other in real life call each other by their real names rather than their forum names when on TSR... I think it propagates cliquey-ness (sp?!) on the forum and that makes other people feel left out but it's everyone's forum and whilst it's inevitable that some people are going to know each other irl I don't think that in-jokes or whatever are good for the forum dynamics. :tsr2:
    Sorry. The problem is that a lot of us do know each other, either through friends of friends or just through TSR meetups.

I don't think it promotes cliquey-ness any more than using their username instead of their real name and saying the same thing! An orange is still and an orange whether or not you call it that! I think anyone (this isn't aimed at your comment) that gets really upset by cliquey-ness on an internet forum, really ought to look elsewhere for a social life! TSR is a forum designed for students to find out information from others about life/work etc but also of course a social aspect, however it is not a substitute for real-life! Too many people on here nowadays* seem to take TSR a bit too seriously....it's just an extra way of finding out some information and chatting to other students.....you still need to have your own friends too!

Sorry for ranting. I'm in a bad mood. Went to do my lab and got told to go home for 2hours because the server's down! So frustrating when we're so close to finishing too!!!!

*particularly the applicants that don't seem to be able to "think for themselves" and constantly have to ask questions or ask for reassurance...how are they going to cope at interview or Oxford if they can't manage independent thinking? I mean, sensible questions are reasonable, but all too often half of the threads on the front page are pathetic and if they just thought about things or did their own research they could easily find out the answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Sorry. The problem is that a lot of us do know each other, either through friends of friends or just through TSR meetups.

I don't think it promotes cliquey-ness any more than using their username instead of their real name and saying the same thing! An orange is still and an orange whether or not you call it that! I think anyone (this isn't aimed at your comment) that gets really upset by cliquey-ness on an internet forum, really ought to look elsewhere for a social life! TSR is a forum designed for students to find out information from others about life/work etc but also of course a social aspect, however it is not a substitute for real-life! Too many people on here nowadays* seem to take TSR a bit too seriously....it's just an extra way of finding out some information and chatting to other students.....you still need to have your own friends too!

Sorry for ranting. I'm in a bad mood. Went to do my lab and got told to go home for 2hours because the server's down! So frustrating when we're so close to finishing too!!!!

*particularly the applicants that don't seem to be able to "think for themselves" and constantly have to ask questions or ask for reassurance...how are they going to cope at interview or Oxford if they can't manage independent thinking? I mean, sensible questions are reasonable, but all too often half of the threads on the front page are pathetic and if they just thought about things or did their own research they could easily find out the answer!
    I appreciate your points, I just meant like it's difficult sometimes to know who someone's referring to when they use a real name as opposed to a forum name, for example. And that makes it difficult for other people outside the friendship(s) to participate in the conversation.

And I'm in a bad mood too... I'm one of three people on the Oxford Student Chorus committee and one of the other people is really sick today which means that there's loads for the remaining two of us to sort out and i have a double essay crisis and it's the concert tonight!

(8pm, Exeter College Chapel, £3 tickets for students, Vivaldi Gloria and Puccini Requiem if anyone's interested )

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate your points, I just meant like it's difficult sometimes to know who someone's referring to when they use a real name as opposed to a forum name, for example. And that makes it difficult for other people outside the friendship(s) to participate in the conversation.
    Yeah I get what you mean. Generally, I try and write their screen-name in brackets after their real name, at least for the first post in a thread and especially if I'm answering someone's post in a thread other than this one, where there's lots of newbies.

And I'm in a bad mood too... I'm one of three people on the Oxford Student Chorus committee and one of the other people is really sick today which means that there's loads for the remaining two of us to sort out and i have a double essay crisis and it's the concert tonight!
    (((((Hugs))))

ReputationRep:
    I've got Sam written in bold in my signature, so I don't see how its a problem with me specifically. I like the idea of calling people by real names rather than usernames because it makes it feel a little more personal and more community-like (which, as Rachel (Agrippina :p: ) points out could be considered cliquey).

I had an essay crisis last night, and what do I do? Go to my college mums' house for dinner, and hang around with them until 2am! I had such a great time, and both of them are truly awesome (I'm a lucky git ) and they've helped me out so much, but when I came back, I was so tired I just crashed! Gonna have to hand in rubbish, incomplete work today (not great, but not too much of a disaster) and then go a little crazy tonight- general philosophy sucks.

ReputationRep:
    i guess it's doubly confusing when people call me Jonathan.

ReputationRep:
    It is a bit cliquey, but we are a clique. In the Oxford forum, there seem to be the mass of people who are applying and a relatively few students here, and that naturally means we form a clique. I don't think that's bad, it's entirely free to join - just come to a meet-up.

Having said that, I prefer to use internet names here, it's just some internet names are way to long or difficult to spell. Sam is so much easier and more personal than sjuthani, the same with Chloe and Hoofbeat. However I still refer to Elles as Elles, Feefifofum as Feef and myself as Drogue, because they're easy to say, short and work as nicknames. The latter is quite sad, as I actually answer to it in real life

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!!!
    i've not been on here in agggggggggges!! how are you all? found your first term ok? i've finally got chance to post a message on here! (im sure when im back home next week you won't be able to get rid of me!)
    really wish i could have made it to the meet-up (which was so long ago now)...if we do one next term, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    I tried to plan another meet-up, but that didn't really happen because I've so much going on- overloaded with work ATM!

ReputationRep:
    I always call Shiny, Shiny too......I think I embarass him when I shout that! I try my hardest to call him Chris, but it doesn't work. Anyways, none of you newbies will know him.

And in response to "Drogue's" comments, I always call Elles, Elles, but then ppl like F1Fanatic and Worzo I always call them Stu and Andy respectively!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolatecheese)
    Hey everyone!!!
    i've not been on here in agggggggggges!! how are you all? found your first term ok? i've finally got chance to post a message on here! (im sure when im back home next week you won't be able to get rid of me!)
    really wish i could have made it to the meet-up (which was so long ago now)...if we do one next term, let me know.
    Hey!! Yes yes I know I see you in college but I had started to think that maybe you were one of the people who abandons TSR completely as soon as they get to Oxford... sorry :blush:

I think it's fair enuf to call me Boo cos uh it's IN my username... but yeh I will always call Elles, elles etc!

@ Chloe (oops I mean Hoofbeat!) I don't understand how we've never met when I seem to see simon (oxymoron) so much! One day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)

@ Chloe (oops I mean Hoofbeat!) I don't understand how we've never met when I seem to see simon (oxymoron) so much! One day...
    Hehe yeah I know. But I suppose if you had met me and knew who I was, you might have seen me more...I mean, you probably see Simon because you recognise him, whereas we've probably walked past each other lots and never realised! It doesn't help that I don't have 9am lectures much (yay!), so you probably won't see me on Parks Rd and I'm not round college very much since I live up by Keble.

We will meet one day though! Are you definitely going to play in the H2$ Musical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    It is a bit cliquey, but we are a clique. In the Oxford forum, there seem to be the mass of people who are applying and a relatively few students here, and that naturally means we form a clique. I don't think that's bad, it's entirely free to join - just come to a meet-up.

Having said that, I prefer to use internet names here, it's just some internet names are way to long or difficult to spell. Sam is so much easier and more personal than sjuthani, the same with Chloe and Hoofbeat. However I still refer to Elles as Elles, Feefifofum as Feef and myself as Drogue, because they're easy to say, short and work as nicknames. The latter is quite sad, as I actually answer to it in real life
    Yeah, there's not that many of us and I think a bit of commaraderie is a good thing. Lets be honest here, in this thread, which is really what we're talking about as where else do we refer to people on first name general terms, there's only about 15 of us posting and I think it's fairly obvious who is who. There is no real need for everybody to read this thread as it is by definition a thread for Ox students. For example I know Agrippina is Rachel, we've never met, possibly never will but you pick it up easy enough :p:. As you say though, it does depend on the username and real name. Drogue is easy to type as is Elles... F1 fanatic is so less personal so I generally promote the use of my real name (Stu) or at the very least F1F.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I never intended to stimulate so much discussion on this topic! Of course it's ok to use first names on a thread like this, just not in general I don't think that's all

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I never intended to stimulate so much discussion on this topic! Of course it's ok to use first names on a thread like this, just not in general I don't think that's all
    Well we'll jump on any bandwagon to procrastinate! :p:

In that case I agree. I wouldn't refer to anybody by their first names in an "official" capacity of advising applicants for example. They are clearly not going to know who is who, but if it's a chat style thread then I see no harm in it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but when I'm procrastinating, I'll debate anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Well we'll jump on any bandwagon to procrastinate! :p:

In that case I agree. I wouldn't refer to anybody by their first names in an "official" capacity of advising applicants for example. They are clearly not going to know who is who, but if it's a chat style thread then I see no harm in it
    Yes, this procrastination thing is awful... I've got two essays to do, one of which is in for tomorrow, and I've got a concert tonight so that means more time when I can't work, and instead of taking advantage of time when I can be working, i'm on Facebook/TSR/youtube/whatever. It's terrible!

If you want another way of procrastinating you could come to my concert tonight at Exeter Chapel! I'll be on the door selling tickets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjuthani)
    Yeah, but when I'm procrastinating, I'll debate anything!
    too slow my friend... :bandit:

The young gun does not beat the old master just yet (in japanese accent)

*bows*

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this procrastination thing is awful... I've got two essays to do, one of which is in for tomorrow, and I've got a concert tonight so that means more time when I can't work, and instead of taking advantage of time when I can be working, i'm on Facebook/TSR/youtube/whatever. It's terrible!

If you want another way of procrastinating you could come to my concert tonight at Exeter Chapel! I'll be on the door selling tickets!
    Yes, though to be fair I don't *technically* have anything more to do this term... but there is plenty that I should be doing

Tempting though the concert is I have my own form of procrastination tonight, namely badminton followed by pub quiz :cool: Don't get too cold on the door.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.