Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    yep, department offer then it's like may when you get a college offer (I may be wrong, can't really remember)

John's is rich so likely to be over subscribed like Trinity, Cam. ChCh rejected me (they only have a small grad population). You would like Hertford, I promise, loads of grads, awesome MCR events, ensuit accommodation about a 10 min walk from the main shopping centre and it's close to sainsburys and M&S.
    really? That sounds fab. I just don't want to find myself living in Ox's equivalent of Girton or something. I was just checking out the website and it's super pretty. the ox website says my subject is offered at hertford but there arn't any fellows doing it (though i dont there are any at john's for that matter either...).

I better now sort out my essays if I'm to actually get a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    really? That sounds fab. I just don't want to find myself living in Ox's equivalent of Girton or something. I was just checking out the website and it's super pretty. the ox website says my subject is offered at hertford but there arn't any fellows doing it (though i dont there are any at john's for that matter either...).

I better now sort out my essays if I'm to actually get a place.
    im the only art historian in hertford (grad or undergrad as i understand it) and there are no fellows- everything is arranged through your department so it makes no odds.

hertford college has the advantage of being opposite the bodleian for lunch and dinner and stuff... and having several cats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    im the only art historian in hertford (grad or undergrad as i understand it) and there are no fellows- everything is arranged through your department so it makes no odds.

hertford college has the advantage of being opposite the bodleian for lunch and dinner and stuff... and having several cats.
    ooo, it's sounding really tempting!

This is a pretty pointless question but how did you feel about your submitted work? I have one essay that I guess is pretty OK but the second is from last year is a bit :/. It was good at the time but doesn't really feel that fabulous now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Splits, straddles, slides, lunges...
    ["your mum" joke]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    ["your mum" joke]
    Poor effort, Huw.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea about grad stuff (being a lowly undergrad and all), but I'll put my six bits in anyway! The articles describing the epistemological basis of reality in terms of real world interaction between warring industrial nation states is beginning to test my sanity.

I like the look of Green (now Green Kellogg I believe?). It looks fluffy and nice, very far out unfortunately, but all politicky and not Nuffield. And why are MCRs (as in the actual rooms) so much better than JCRs? I want a bar that doesn't smell of urinal *stamps feet*

ReputationRep:
    a lot of john's grad accommodation is on st john street. which is (a) pretty central and (b) reallynice.

(Original post by Mrs Carrothead)
    I like the look of Green (now Green Kellogg I believe?).
    Green Templeton. And it's on Woodstock Road, so not that far out. (I don't know what they're doing with the old Templeton campus though, which is a fair way down Abingdon Road.)

ReputationRep:
    The articles describing the epistemological basis of reality in terms of real world interaction between warring industrial nation states is beginning to test my sanity.
    Did you just make that up as a topic or are you serious? If you made it up, that would make quite a good game.

ReputationRep:
    Green is slightly less "far away" than St. Anne's - about a mile from Carfax?

MCRs tend to get less use and stay fresh for longer. Undergraduates have poor hygiene.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, yes. Still, looks rather nice. Now if only I was actually intelligent enough to do a postgrad here, or anywhere for that matter *daydreams*...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Did you just make that up as a topic or are you serious? If you made it up, that would make quite a good game.
    No, I didn't make it up . There's a 45 page article on it by someone called Adler in which he compares Constructivism as an approach to International relations to throwing a bird up in the air to throwing a stone. Apparently the bird can fly away (constructivist), but the stone can't (rationalist), and IR is like the bird because nations are not only bound by physical laws...... yes..... quite.

Saying epistemological basis of reality in terms of real world interaction between warring industrial nation states makes it (and me) sound a lot me intelligent though.

And making a good game? Have you tried Cybernations.....?

ReputationRep:
    And making a good game? Have you tried Cybernations.....?
    What's that?

ReputationRep:
    Grr... prices have gone up for Crazy Tuesdays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    hey guys!

sorry to invade your thread but I just have a quick quessie and it will probs be easier if I just post it in here than make a thread...

what are st john's and ChCh like for getting ensuite grad accommodation? I know there's a significant chance I won't get allocated either college if I do get an offer but I thought I'd check anyway.

I was thinking of going for St A's but I'd much prefer to be in the centre of town as has been the case for me in Cam.
    I think the ChCh grad (&undergrad, I think) accommodation up Iffley road (not far up, and right next to the sports centre, if that's your thing) is in a shared complex with Corpus, called the Liddell Complex. There's a handful of pictures and info here: http://www.ccc.ox.ac.uk/conferences/facilities.php . There might be more grad rooms elsewhere, but I've no clue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    What's that?
    Cybernations is a game where you establish your own little nation and trade and buy infrastructure and technology and join alliances and can declare war and take over other nations and crush them. Some people take is waaaaayyy too seriously, but it's reasonably entertaining, and lots of it is done on forums, which is yet another way to waste time. Yey! Personally I preferred NationStates, but I think that went the way of the dodo. Ah well.

Anybody catch the inauguration? I'm rather scared about how religious the inauguration of a declaredly secular leader is. *shivers*

ReputationRep:
    i've gone with st john's and hertford. I'm clearly easily persuaded!

ReputationRep:
    Hertford is really nice. I applied to Merton though, so I wouldn't trust my judgement!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Grr... prices have gone up for Crazy Tuesdays.
    Oh noes! How much by?

ReputationRep:
    Cybernations is a game where you establish your own little nation and trade and buy infrastructure and technology and join alliances and can declare war and take over other nations and crush them. Some people take is waaaaayyy too seriously, but it's reasonably entertaining, and lots of it is done on forums, which is yet another way to waste time. Yey! Personally I preferred NationStates, but I think that went the way of the dodo. Ah well.

Anybody catch the inauguration? I'm rather scared about how religious the inauguration of a declaredly secular leader is. *shivers*
    Sounds slightly naff to me :p:

I'm having an inaugration party :yep:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.