Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question, can't find a relevant thread, but I'm writing something on it. SO:

PRESS RELEASE

Students at the University of Oxford have ended their successful occupation of the historic Clarendon building at the Bodleian, Britain’s largest university library, in solidarity with the occupied Palestinian people in Gaza. The building was taken over by nearly 100 students, backed by dozens of supporters amongst the university community and numerous Oxford-based civil society organisations. This action was part of a large wave of student occupations launched across the UK. Similar victories have already been achieved in SOAS and LSE.

The occupation began at 12 noon and ended at 7pm on Thursday January 22, following negotiations with the Proctors of the University. Full details will be publicly released next week.

Juliette Harkin states: “we consider this to be a major step in promoting justice for Palestine within the British academic community.” According to Omar Al Shehabi, a student at Pembroke College, “this is a truly great achievement. The war crimes of the Israeli apartheid regime in Gaza must be confronted by international civil society.”

Honor Brabazon, a student at University College, notes that “this wave of actions, including our victorious occupation in Oxford, will contribute to raising awareness and mobilisation in solidarity with Palestine.”

Mohammad Madi of Trinity College emphasises that “this is a victory for human rights activism in Oxford and it is an expression of the British academic community’s solidarity with the besieged and occupied Palestinian people of Gaza. We have received a remarkable response from academics and students in Oxford and beyond.”

James Norrie, a student at Wadham College, comments: “we salute fellow students who have conducted occupations in other universities including SOAS, LSE, King’s, Sussex, Manchester Metropolitan, Birmingham, Leeds, Essex, and Warwick. Their actions demonstrate that students can play a pivotal role in promoting universal principles and in supporting the occupied people of Palestine. We would hope that similar actions would be undertaken in universities worldwide.”
    Does anyone know what the hell they're meant to have "won" yet?

ReputationRep:
    i think it was a press release from the university condemning the bombings in gaza

or something like that

(Original post by probably not)
    i think it was a press release from the university condemning the bombings in gaza

or something like that
    If it's a press release condemning Israel's action from a humanitarian point of view, I'm worried that that has been interpreted as "supporting the occupied people of Palestine." It's dangerous territory.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh... going out the night before a 9am class where I'm presenting first and leading the discussion was a bad idea.

Damn you Bridge for being so irresistible...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the hell they're meant to have "won" yet?
    http://www.cherwell.org/content/8350
    Er, they're only going to be fined £20. Disrupt the university for a day, break the law, involve the police- £20. Spray someone with champagne after an exam -£80. That's quite a victory.
    Oh and supposedly that the university will publicly condemn civilian casualties in gaza, investigate whether they have investments in BAE systems and consider offering 5 scholarships to gazan students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alive)
    Oooh, what did you do? I've been trying to convince someone to come with me since the middle of last term. I don;t think I have the balls to go on my own.
    Erm dancy things. It was all very casual, there were lots of people and plenty had trouble with things including me. There weren't any obscenely difficult things we were asked to do either, so go for it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It's really hard to discuss your course/dissertation with people who don't believe in evolution when everything you study hinges on evolution being a fact, and not a theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    It's really hard to discuss your course/dissertation with people who don't believe in evolution when everything you study hinges on evolution being a fact, and not a theory
    Why are you discussing your course/dissertation with people who don't believe in evolution? Can't you tell them they're idiots or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Why are you discussing your course/dissertation with people who don't believe in evolution? Can't you tell them they're idiots or something?
    I'm not an idiot and I don't believe in evolution...

ReputationRep:
    ******* builders outside my room :mad:
    I'm already distracting myself from doing my essay by going on TSR, and now they're definitely making sure that I can't work because they're making so much noise :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    It is a fact, and they are wrong.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Someone Christian. He got this glazed look when I said I was looking at evolution as part of my dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    what about the gaps in evolutionary theory? I don't get how some of it stacks up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    So they say.

ReputationRep:
    what about the gaps in evolutionary theory? I don't get how some of it stacks up.
    Do you not believe in evolution at all - as in that man has always been man, exactly as it is now - or do you just not believe that evolution is solely responsible? The latter I can understand - I don't think mutations are random, nor do I necessarily thing there wasn't something 'created' at the start - but the principle that species adapt and change over time seems pretty incontravertable to me. People are taller now than they were 1000 years ago and there are far more people of mixed ethnic backgrounds, and other than natural selection at work, I can't think of a reason why this would be the case. The idea that we're entirely evolutionarily stationary seems ludicrous. Though there's also no evidence that evolutionary mutations are entirely random and some good evidence (specific things evolving in different places) that they're not.

ReputationRep:
    Someone Christian. He got this glazed look when I said I was looking at evolution as part of my dissertation.
    I get that when anyone starts talking about their thesis in theology. Or, quite often, English, but that at least admits it's fiction.

Although I do take issue with anything causal being called a fact. While we know things do evolve, the theory of natural selection is a theory, not a fact. A very plausible theory with a lot of supporting evidence, but not a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Do you not believe in evolution at all - as in that man has always been man, exactly as it is now - or do you just not believe that evolution is solely responsible? The latter I can understand - I don't think mutations are random, nor do I necessarily thing there wasn't something 'created' at the start - but the principle that species adapt and change over time seems pretty incontravertable to me. People are taller now than they were 1000 years ago and there are far more people of mixed ethnic backgrounds, and other than natural selection at work, I can't think of a reason why this would be the case. The idea that we're entirely evolutionarily stationary seems ludicrous. Though there's also no evidence that evolutionary mutations are entirely random and some good evidence (specific things evolving in different places) that they're not.
    Evolution obviously occurs, you can see it within species. However, there are massive gaps: how does a creature go from a single, to double circulatory system? What's the in between stage of that? Some weird creepy little sea things only work as a whole, they need both bits of them (much like a type of motor) to function- how do these evolve without suddenly exploding in to being? Also how comes one time evolution creates giant lizards and the next it creates smart apes? Evolution is still a theory as far as I'm concerned, the whole thing from beginning to end can't be called 'fact'.

ReputationRep:
    These people exist in England?

ReputationRep:
    gravity is still a theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Different places might have the same evolutionary pressures though - makes that random gene mutation that gives you white skin/fur equally useful and more likely to not die out in both the desert - reflecting the sun, and the Arctic - for camoflage.

Meh, I think creationism and evolution are mutually exclusive things. Yes, pure chance and pure randomness coupled with situational pressures, natural selection et al explain all.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.