Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wooo.... finally submitted by choices of supervisors for next year. Now I just have to sit and wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    I'm steadily improving, although I did spend my tute sneezing. I missed breakfast this morning and had to have dry Rice Krispies. And now I have to walk up to the University Offices before 6pm to apply for Access stuff...
    I never go to breakfast. Do none of you keep a massive supply of bread and a toaster? How else do you plan to survive?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs Carrothead)
    I never go to breakfast. Do none of you keep a massive supply of bread and a toaster? How else do you plan to survive?! :confused:
    Simple, a windmill to produce the flour (we have the wheat shipped in, I confess), a baker, and a man with a toasting fork and strict instructions to keep the fire burning.

ReputationRep:
    We're not allowed toasters in rooms. The nearest one is in the basement of the house next door...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    We're not allowed toasters in rooms. The nearest one is in the basement of the house next door...
    No toasters?! Well still, I think I'd survive off dry cereal rather than have to get up and join the breakfast freaks. Is it not like that at everyone else's college, where only people that go to breakfast are the really odd ones you never see anywhere else? Them and the rowdy rowers. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    I *hate* roadmap questions......they really upset me as they're stupid reactions with stupid observations. Urgh. And if it snows tonight I'll be most upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    You have rooms at Merton? I thought they just gave you sleeping bags and you stayed in the library :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    No toasters?! Well still, I think I'd survive off dry cereal rather than have to get up and join the breakfast freaks. Is it not like that at everyone else's college, where only people that go to breakfast are the really odd ones you never see anywhere else? Them and the rowdy rowers. That's it.
    Balliol doesn't do breakfast, so no.

(Original post by tarnishedpenny)
    I *hate* roadmap questions
    How could you, they're fantastic... if you know everything, or possess remarkable amounts of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    You have rooms at Merton? I thought they just gave you sleeping bags and you stayed in the library :tongue:
    I like the rooms at Merton , that is one of the reasons I applied there. They completely sucked us all in with (the probable lie) of showing us a really nice suite of rooms that they CLAIMED was a third year room i.e. go into a hall, little living room off to the right, bathroom to the left, study bedroom straight ahead.

Next year I'm going to have to live down Cowley Road I expect. Stampy stampy stamp :mad: .

ReputationRep:
    Are you allowed a toaster? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Are you allowed a toaster? :eek:
    Yes.... And at Keble I think they're allowed rice cookers or microwaves, or something crazy like that.

Although after I set the smoke alarm off by attempting to cook a pain au chocolat on top of the toaster (they were black and the whole quad smelled), I have to keep a close watch whilst toasting now.

And call me stupid, but it seems to me that some of the smilies aren't working...... for instance appears as typed and when I type : ( : in case they've changed the shortcut, nothing appears. Argh!

ReputationRep:
    Oi, no mocking your elders and betters (by 730 years, give or take one). We can't live in the library, anyway - despite (or possibly because of) our reputation, we don't have a 24-hour library.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.... And at Keble I think they're allowed rice cookers or microwaves, or something crazy like that.

Although after I set the smoke alarm off by attempting to cook a pain au chocolat on top of the toaster (they were black and the whole quad smelled), I have to keep a close watch whilst toasting now.

And call me stupid, but it seems to me that some of the smilies aren't working...... for instance appears as typed and when I type : ( : in case they've changed the shortcut, nothing appears. Argh!
    I assure you they're not. I went to Keble! You could maybe get away with it in Arco, but that's the only place and even then you're not meant to bring in cooking stuff that wasn't there already. In my 1st and 2nd year I lived with purely a fridge and a kettle.

Edit: smilies aren't working properly since the upgrade. It's being worked on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    Oi, no mocking your elders and betters (by 730 years, give or take one). We can't live in the library, anyway - despite (or possibly because of) our reputation, we don't have a 24-hour library.
    See the funny thing is that we do, it just doesn't seem to have done us much good.

ReputationRep:
    See the funny thing is that we do, it just doesn't seem to have done us much good.
    At the risk of sounding somewhat pedantic....the college you currently hold an offer from have a 24 hour library. :tongue:
    And John's doesn't either - it's one of the reasons it's so difficult to get together a decent case for a 24hr library as you can't even claim that there's a strong correlation between library opening hours and academic achievement.

ReputationRep:
    Balliol's isn't 24-hour, either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tarnishedpenny)
    At the risk of sounding somewhat pedantic....the college you currently hold an offer from have a 24 hour library. :tongue:
    And John's doesn't either - it's one of the reasons it's so difficult to get together a decent case for a 24hr library as you can't even claim that there's a strong correlation between library opening hours and academic achievement.
    The college from which I have an offer and which I will, on achieving 3 A's, be attending, has a 24 hour library.

I can dream :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I do. I keep extra in the freezer and UHT emergency milk for tea. No way could I survive without breakfast supplies here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkd)
    Your library isn't open 24 hours?! Oriel's is actually, which is surprising. When I can't sleep, I go and wander around it in the dark.... once nearly dying of shock when I was looking for a book on international law in the law section at 4 in the morning, and there was a cough behind me from someone I'd completely failed to notice and who'd obviously been watching me silently for a good couple of minutes.... creepy, huh?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus' library is 24 hours

And my crazy vegetarian, no leather, toiletries made from vegetables not chemicals, housemate is eating MEAT next door to impress a girl. And they're being all intimate while I'm trying to cook my high-maintenance dinner. Urgh

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.