Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Well I offered to come see you and you didn't reply My advise is forget revision until the essays are done
    But I did reply! :confused:

I thought I had real post the other day- turned out to be stuff forwarded from college about more graduate jobs stuff! (Why am I getting this stuff?)

ReputationRep:
    Ick grrrrrrrrr have a cold! Really sucks! Am not surpised though as managed to stay healthy all of last term despite everyone in my house being ill at some point! Hope it clears up before Xmas!

I think I need to chill out with the revision! I find it really hard to work out if I'm working too hard or not! I mean, I don't spend all day working but that's because I'm doing other things like driving lessons (damn fog this morning!), riding my horse, walking the dogs, osteopath visits (my damn neck is still playing up!), xmas shopping that it feels like I'm not working hard enough, yet at the same time I want to just sit and watch crappy tv! lol. *sighs*

And Sarah you're insane taking QM!!!! I absolutely can't stand QM and I'm a physicist! Why did you take such a silly supplementry subject....anyone would think you're turning into Alice in my year!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjuthani)
    But I did reply! :confused:

I thought I had real post the other day- turned out to be stuff forwarded from college about more graduate jobs stuff! (Why am I getting this stuff?)
    Hehe sorry facebook didn't send me an email so I thought you were ignoring me and didn't want to see me *Boo feels singularly unloved* Won't know for sure when I'm going down til Em gets back from India which isn't til xmas eve so might be a bit last minute - might make more sense to meet up on the way back which will def be the 2nd but don't think shortbread will keep that long!

ReputationRep:
    I took it because it was the best of a bad lot! There was a really good spectroscopy one that I was gonna do and then they cancelled it for this year. And I have a problem in that I cannot do organic chemistry however much revision I do, and most of them are either organic or weird ones where you have to write essays :eek: so quantum was the only one left...yes I am completely mental...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingqueen)
    Seriously don't stress over collections. I've got 20% before and my tutor didn't even care (and he's famed for being quite strict) so there's no need to panic. I think I did fairly badly in my first set because I didn't realise how different they were from A level, so its really a chance to get used to how oxford set exams.
    I really caution taking this at face value, as it depends on your tutors. I've got low 60s before and been put on report about it (had to go to the senior tutor to get out of penals). If your college doesn't care, then that's fine, although they're a good tool to show where the gaps in your knowledge are. My college does care, so I **** my pants about them every holiday, as anything less than high 60s won't cut it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I really caution taking this at face value, as it depends on your tutors. I've got low 60s before and been put on report about it (had to go to the senior tutor to get out of penals). If your college doesn't care, then that's fine, although they're a good tool to show where the gaps in your knowledge are. My college does care, so I **** my pants about them every holiday, as anything less than high 60s won't cut it.
    :eek:
    I've been lazy as hell, so I now have just over 2 weeks in which to re-learn the entire first term. And even then I couldn't get 60s (I thought 70 was a first?).
    I haven't started ANY revision, mostly because I am actually dreading going back; I'm not sure whether to e-mail my moral tutor about how much I never want to return to Oxford (what's the procedure on this?) ...besides exams, coming back home has made me realise how much happier I am here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Wow, harsh! Sorry for giving that advice then, as most people I know at mine and other colleges have never been cautioned about low colelction marks. And low 60s?? What's wrong with that, its a 2:1?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, harsh! Sorry for giving that advice then, as most people I know at mine and other colleges have never been cautioned about low colelction marks. And low 60s?? What's wrong with that, its a 2:1?
    It's cuz Univ fell dramatically down the Norrington Table and their rector/principal wasn't amused and so is now making them all work damn hard!

I don't know what's wrong with a 2:1 - that's all I want to get at the end of the day! To be fair though Will, I think you'd been getting very good marks throughout the term, so they were probably slightly concerned when you got a low 2:1! In my case, I'm fairly consistent across the terms and collections, so they have less of a concern! lol

ReputationRep:
    Ah but you see the problem is that Drogue is wonderboy and shall be sent down from the university unless he gets at least an 85 in every collection he is set Don't let him scare you too much. It's a true story but none the less a slightly ridiculous one because any normal tutor wouldn't do that. Message is kids work hard, but don't panic - especially if it's your first time round - the tutors expect you to do a lot less than perfect!

ReputationRep:
    Mmm actually thinking about it Will's not the only person I've heard it from - don't know how completely true this is since I heard it about 3rd hand but wasn't Rebecca asked to consider resigning her organ scholarship last year after she got "only a 2i"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Mmm actually thinking about it Will's not the only person I've heard it from - don't know how completely true this is since I heard it about 3rd hand but wasn't Rebecca asked to consider resigning her organ scholarship last year after she got "only a 2i"?
    Not entirely true - but I don't think I'll discuss the details on here!
    Basically - your tutor won't care unless they have made it clear to you that they will! I think that's probably fair .

ReputationRep:
    Queen A don't worry about collections at Hilda's. I can only speak about the econ side of things but last year it was nothing to worry about, i got a low 2.2 in my hilary collections and it was fine (mgt was another story but then i had an evil tutor anyway who used to give me tutes at 7.20 on friday morning and wonder why i wasn't fully awake at that time!). I found the first year a bit of a struggle if i'm honest and there were times when i really wanted to quit but this year everything seems much easier and i'm so glad i didn't give up. I think have different tutors this year has made a huge difference. (no more early morning tutes is definately a very good thing)

ReputationRep:
    Our tutor gives individual targets, so if he thinks you should be getting a first, he gives you a mid 60s target. Makes a lot of sense. As much as I'm a slacker, I'm so glad he's my tutor. He's a great tutor, and puts enough pressure to make me work. But seriously, after small group tuition with a really good tutor and plenty of time to learn the stuff, wouldn't you feel like you'd let yourself down if you couldn't do the questions? Maybe it's just me, but I feel quite bad that people at other universities, without the privilege of the type of tuition I get, know as much and do as well. Economics isn't that hard, but somehow it takes quite a bit to make sure you understand it enough.

(Original post by Queen_A)
    :eek:
    I've been lazy as hell, so I now have just over 2 weeks in which to re-learn the entire first term. And even then I couldn't get 60s (I thought 70 was a first?).
    Yes. But there's a huge difference (in E&M at least) between a low 60 and a low 70. The former says you got the general idea and made a passable attempt. The latter says you nailed it, or at least got something interesting there.

(Original post by Hoofbeat)
    It's cuz Univ fell dramatically down the Norrington Table and their rector/principal wasn't amused and so is now making them all work damn hard!
    Not quite, he's like that anyway, that was just a coincidence, it seems. Plus we went back up again last year, and still are worked hard.

ReputationRep:
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sorry needed to do that!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe there there Chloe, have some tea

ReputationRep:
    WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sorry I was "arghhhhh"-ing earlier, I was panicking about my driving test, which I've just had and I passed first time without a single minor, so now I'm really happy!!! Obviously venting my anger out earlier helped!

Hope everyone's as chirpy as I'm now feeling!

ReputationRep:
    Oh you cow :p: Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Sorry I was "arghhhhh"-ing earlier, I was panicking about my driving test, which I've just had and I passed first time without a single minor, so now I'm really happy!!! Obviously venting my anger out earlier helped!
    :eek: No minors? Damn, I've never seen that happen! I thought I was quite good with my 4 minors! (admittedly I passed almost 5 years ago... )

ReputationRep:
    i got 6 minors, but two were for the same thing, which i thought was a bit unfair (one for not checking that i'd left my indicator on when moving off, having pulling into the side of the road, and then another for moving off having left the indicator on). Well done, though, chloe!

ReputationRep:
    my first one was no minors and one major...

bloody ambiguous traffic lights nerves combination...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.