The_Lonely_Goatherd
How mean! Surely they could have found something positive to say?! :mad:

Rushed work is the story of my uni life :yep:

Well he managed to say "he handed his work in on time" :p:
Turdburger
Well he managed to say "he handed his work in on time" :p:

True! :p:
Reply 9442
I'd be more concerned about your tutor calling you Turdburger to be honest. :wink:
More bitching about that report. He also said my collection "could and should have been better" and it was "saved by symmetry"

I got 15 14 14 6 3 in the 5 questions (/20). the 15 was in symmetry and therefore didnt really save me much more than the 2 14s. Infact it saved me a lot less as it took ages and meant I had ran out of time way before I could finish q4 and 5 and just scribbled some nonsense. I even wrote I ran out of time at the end.
It would probs make my life easier if I changed my name permanently to The_Lonely_Goatherd. Avoid all the name variations I get at the moment :s-smilie:
Turdburger
More bitching about that report. He also said my collection "could and should have been better" and it was "saved by symmetry"

I got 15 14 14 6 3 in the 5 questions (/20). the 15 was in symmetry and therefore didnt really save me much more than the 2 14s. Infact it saved me a lot less as it took ages and meant I had ran out of time way before I could finish q4 and 5 and just scribbled some nonsense. I even wrote I ran out of time at the end.

You wrote that and they still were rude about it in the report?!?! Baaah! :mad:

I ran out of time in my collection paper and wrote that on the paper. Luckily my tutor didn't bring my time management up in the report read to the Provost. I get really bored in exams because I can't sit still and concentrate on one thing for that amount of time. Music just pops into my head and I sit there bopping for what feels like 2 minutes, but is actually 10! In this particular collection, it was French music followed by Christina Aguilera... during an essay about music from 600-1100 AD :rofl:

Anyway, when I explained all this to my tutor, she started talking about how I should do all my Finals in a separate room away from everyone else :eek3: So I was very glad she didn't bring that suggestion up in the report! :yep:
Reply 9446
I don't think I've left less than 45 minutes early from a collection in the last year. It's terrible really. Then again my collections papers have not been fantastic in their results either.
I've never left a collection early. Christina Aguilera means I always run out of time :ninja:
Reply 9448
I spent too much time in collections this term helping the first and second years, so they didn't go too well...
Reply 9449
Lonely, I get told to speak up more and not let the boys talk me down, so I think it's a fairly common complaint - I've had it two or three times now. The lads usually get reports telling them to shut up and let other people talk :p: how can you be quiet for that long though? Do you not have things you want to say? Don't you disagree with your tute partners/feel they're putting a point across badly?
Reply 9450
Ooh... it's not a copy-and-paste job... Dermot clearly approves of me :biggrin:

Mind you, seeing as I'm pretty much the only one who ever speaks in tutorials, it's maybe not so surprising. Also, he never marked our collections, so he doesn't know how **** mine was :tongue:
haha, i had a tute with my two best (male) friends in college this term, and after it one of them was like "you were HORRIBLE! really aggressive!" and the other one was as bemused as i was (i'd just made sure i held my own, really).

then i mentioned this to my tutor (we were all there, a week or so later) and my first friend was like "she was awful!"... my tutor just looked at him and was like "girls are allowed to be assertive and intelligent too, you know!". ahaha.
Just realized that I've never had a male tute partner. My theory tutes are manly enough as it is.
Athena
Lonely, I get told to speak up more and not let the boys talk me down, so I think it's a fairly common complaint - I've had it two or three times now. The lads usually get reports telling them to shut up and let other people talk :p: how can you be quiet for that long though? Do you not have things you want to say? Don't you disagree with your tute partners/feel they're putting a point across badly?

Ah, that's good to hear that someone else gets that kinda feedback! My tutors are quite hung-up on gender difference though. My main tutor kept asking me throughout my first year if I felt isolated, whilst my other tutor has very bizarre ideas about what being a feminist consists of :p: I think the boys feel a bit miffed because no one ever tells them to shut up in their reports, they just get labelled "garrilous" in mine :eek:

Usually if I'm quiet in a tute, it's either because I don't know much about that topic and don't have anything to say, or I'm struggling to follow the conversations around me, or I'm really tired. I can be quite vocal/argumentative, but only in certain topics. In any case, my head's always buzzing full of stuff and consequently I don't even realise that I haven't spoken for long periods of time :nah:

Plus my tute partners rarely put points across badly :ninja:

Having said all this though, my main tutor was telling one of the first years that he should argue with everyone, like I do :rofl:
cpchem
I spent too much time in collections this term helping the first and second years, so they didn't go too well...

We were staring in disbelief at one of our first years, he was writing so much and drawing very confusing analytical diagrams :eek: It was soooo funny afterwards, coz some of the first years were saying how badly they'd done getting high 50s in the collection, whereas I got lower than all of them in the real thing and got a Third in the exact same collection they had done :rofl:

I had to lend one of the first years my Mods revision notes. He didn't realise he needed to keep checking his uni e-mail during the hols and only realised in January that he had two collections!

:smile:
Reply 9455
The_Lonely_Goatherd

Usually if I'm quiet in a tute, it's either because I don't know much about that topic and don't have anything to say, or I'm struggling to follow the conversations around me, or I'm really tired. I can be quite vocal/argumentative, but only in certain topics. In any case, my head's always buzzing full of stuff and consequently I don't even realise that I haven't spoken for long periods of time :nah:

Heh, I'm quite lucky that, between the three of us, at least one of us can say something about a topic, and it's never happened that we've all read everything, so everyone says something at least once.

This technique backfired in 1st year, when my tute partners forgot we had a tute, and I had to have it by myself, which revealed I hadn't really read enough/read it well enough. But it was my first term, so the tutor was quite forgiving!
Athena
Heh, I'm quite lucky that, between the three of us, at least one of us can say something about a topic, and it's never happened that we've all read everything, so everyone says something at least once.

This technique backfired in 1st year, when my tute partners forgot we had a tute, and I had to have it by myself, which revealed I hadn't really read enough/read it well enough. But it was my first term, so the tutor was quite forgiving!

We usually split the reading between the three of us as well, but the boys read much quicker and understand much better than I do, so I just let them do the talking, chipping in occasionally! :yes:

One-to-one tutes are scary. There's no one to hide behind... :ninja: I do like being able to work at my own pace in them though :yes:
Reply 9457
The_Lonely_Goatherd
We usually split the reading between the three of us as well, but the boys read much quicker and understand much better than I do, so I just let them do the talking, chipping in occasionally! :yes:

One-to-one tutes are scary. There's no one to hide behind... :ninja: I do like being able to work at my own pace in them though :yes:

I haven't had many 1-to-1 tutes, but one of them involved going to the tutor's house in Summertown and drinking tea in her conservatory while discussing my essay.
Athena

I haven't had many 1-to-1 tutes, but one of them involved going to the tutor's house in Summertown and drinking tea in her conservatory while discussing my essay.

Drinking tea is a very important part of tutes :yes: We often take some form of cake to one of our tutors and she gives us tea :cool: One time she was quite worried about us and made us cake :love:

I have one-to-one every week for harmony and had a few tutes by myself last year coz I was the only one who wanted to study women composers. Well, the boys were interested, but feared it would turn into feminist rants directed at them :p:
Reply 9459
I have never had tea in a tute. I am sure my performance would improve significantly if I did.

Latest

Trending

Trending