Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Not yet. He got a look of death when he asked me if I was Indian and having an arranged marriage and then proceeded to ask me if I was from some bizarre Christian-esque Sri Lankan cult when I said I wasn't Indian :ninja:

I also gave the following link to my tutor, who inquired on behalf of the FCR/SCR/whatever they call it who he was and why he's always dressed like that:

http://chronicle.augusta.com/graduat...obadilla.shtml

Besides, there have been worse JYAs. One of them seemed to find the BNP funny and decided to say this in front of me. Luckily he never talked to me again, or he would have got a slap :yep:
    That is absolutely hilarious (the link, not the BNP :p: ). He looks like the most smug ******* ever and there are so many opportunities for mockery, I wish he was a TSR poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    That is absolutely hilarious (the link, not the BNP :p: ). He looks like the most smug ******* ever and there are so many opportunities for mockery, I wish he was a TSR poster
    We could physically find him and laugh in his face.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Teebs)
    He's definitely unique. We have great fun talking to him in formal hall. He's quite nice, but soooooooooooooooooo funny :rofl:

That's the other thing. He goes to formal hall every single day. Which, given we have 6 formal halls a week, is quite a lot. If the tickets are sold out, he'll ask everyone he knows if they have a ticket and if he can buy it. He somehow even managed to get into the Boat Club dinner... with his mother :lolwut:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by cpchem)
    We could physically find him and laugh in his face.
    Nah, that's mean! He is very nice. Just very naive and incredibly odd :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, that's mean! He is very nice. Just very naive and incredibly odd :yep:
    It would be an educational experience for him...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    It could even become the new defining moment of his life :tongue:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Teebs)
    It's so brutal though! Plus he's extremely thick-skinned. He doesn't seem to understand when Woosta people take the mick
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It could even become the new defining moment of his life :tongue:
    :rofl:

Actually I'm not even sure if he's still here this term. Some JYAs only stay for two terms, don't they? Will have to check this when I get back :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It's so brutal though! Plus he's extremely thick-skinned. He doesn't seem to understand when Woosta people take the mick
    Surely brutal is more things like taking him down an alleyway and beating him up (not that I in any way advocate such things).

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Actually I'm not even sure if he's still here this term. Some JYAs only stay for two terms, don't they? Will have to check this when I get back :cool:
    I wouldn't know - as I said, Balliol doesn't take them. Also, if they're only here for two terms, aren't they really missing the point of the Junior Year Abroad?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know - as I said, Balliol doesn't take them. Also, if they're only here for two terms, aren't they really missing the point of the Junior Year Abroad?
    It's probably a cunning scheme on the part of the university to charge more for less.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry, I meant that as a general question, rather than directing it at you! The BNP one was only here for two terms. I think my college bro may have only been here for two terms as well. It's a bizarre system. I don't really get it

ReputationRep:
    What's a JYA?

EDIT: Oh, cpchem has semi-answered my question...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Surely brutal is more things like taking him down an alleyway and beating him up (not that I in any way advocate such things).
    Yeah, I guess the word 'brutal' is more suited to those situations :yep:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MSB)
    What's a JYA?
    An American student who's spending part or the whole of the third year of their degree at Oxford :cool:

ReputationRep:
    An American student who's spending part or the whole of the third year of their degree at Oxford :cool:
    So they're at about the same intellectual level as our freshers, then?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So they're at about the same intellectual level as our freshers, then?
    I'm not entirely sure. I don't really understand how the American school/uni system works. Are their first two years the equivalent of our sixth form? We have a Music one this year at Woosta, but she's following the third year course

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure. I don't really understand how the American school/uni system works. Are their first two years the equivalent of our sixth form? We have a Music one this year at Woosta, but she's following the third year course
    The textbooks that sophomore chemists in America use (for the whole year) cover about the first fortnight in Oxford.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The textbooks that sophomore chemists in America use (for the whole year) cover about the first fortnight in Oxford.
    You could say similar stuff about unis in the UK as well though (maybe not quite to that extreme though!)

ReputationRep:
    I see.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.