Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    Whereas i spend my sunday nights doing linear algebra. What on earth will i do after 4th week when i stop taking it?
    Linear algebra :yy: Quite possibly the easiest module I will ever have to do for my degree. I so love having one module that (at least so far... ) seems like a reasonably assured first.

I also love £7.90 lunches in Pierre Victoire after lectures that make you feel so utterly satisfied. Ohm, as Gemma would say. Did I say I loved my life?

ReputationRep:
    *growls* (yes Sam that was a proper growl not a baby-lion raaa) I HATE lentils! One of my big rants last year was why-you-shouldn't-drink-protein-shakes even if you are a rower. I am this close to starting to drink them myself. I am too tired to make full on bean casserole stuff which is about all I know how to do with beans other than make chilli. Quorn is too expensive. Cheese isn't high-protein enough. So I eat lentils. Many many lentils. And I slowly die inside.

Am also v upset that now the river flag has changed W1 will start training on the river again soon. I don't mind training with W2 atm because I'm just forcing myself to do more than them to keep myself in line with W1. But we can't get on the river unless it goes bloody green flag. And that's unlikely. Therefore unless I can get us some tank time I am in dire straights. *cries*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)

But we can't get on the river unless it goes bloody green flag. And that's unlikely. Therefore unless I can get us some tank time I am in dire straights. *cries*
    I suggest you start being nice to Phil (K'uin K'ra on here) and seeing if you can bribe him to cox for you!

ReputationRep:

Am also v upset that now the river flag has changed W1 will start training on the river again soon. I don't mind training with W2 atm because I'm just forcing myself to do more than them to keep myself in line with W1. But we can't get on the river unless it goes bloody green flag. And that's unlikely. Therefore unless I can get us some tank time I am in dire straights. *cries*
    Can you not do half-half with W1 and W2? 4 of us novices went on the river on sunday with 4 of M1, which is apparently what the rules say you're allowed to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    Can you not do half-half with W1 and W2? 4 of us novices went on the river on sunday with 4 of M1, which is apparently what the rules say you're allowed to do.
    I think the problem is only the lack of an experienced/senior cox. Now that the river is down to Blue flag, it isn't senior crews only (which only applies in amber conditions), just no novice coxes.

ReputationRep:
    *growls* (yes Sam that was a proper growl not a baby-lion raaa) I HATE lentils! One of my big rants last year was why-you-shouldn't-drink-protein-shakes even if you are a rower. I am this close to starting to drink them myself. I am too tired to make full on bean casserole stuff which is about all I know how to do with beans other than make chilli. Quorn is too expensive. Cheese isn't high-protein enough. So I eat lentils. Many many lentils. And I slowly die inside.
    Yeah, lentils are not good- I thought you magicked a way to get them to taste good with HP sauce though? Why not protein-shakes? I know nothing about them really, but I've heard so long as you don't overdo it, there's no problem?

Alternatively, give up rowing :p: 'tis a silly sport.

BTW, fudge sounds amazing! I'm definitely up for that (unless I have actually died). In the meantime... french politics. Hmmm.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Argh, stats day from hell, I have two worksheets to "look at" (what the hell does that mean???) that my tute partners kindly left it until today to tell me are due in tomorrow, and I have an essay with no deadline that I've done no reading for, but that I KNOW my tutor will suddenly send a email demanding done... :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Argh, stats day from hell, I have two worksheets to "look at" (what the hell does that mean???) that my tute partners kindly left it until today to tell me are due in tomorrow, and I have an essay with no deadline that I've done no reading for, but that I KNOW my tutor will suddenly send a email demanding done... :bawling:
    :hugs: From someone who knows what it can be like.

ReputationRep:
    when a maths tutor says "look at" they generally mean have a go at as many questions as you get chance to, but don't worry about it if you get stuck, or don't quite manage all the questions- basically do as much as you can in the time you've got.

When was the essay set? Best bet is to pre-empt your tutor and tell them that you're aware that it needs doing, and doing the best you can to catch up having been off ill, and ask when they'd like it in for. If they're remotely human they'll be fairly generous in the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I think the problem is only the lack of an experienced/senior cox. Now that the river is down to Blue flag, it isn't senior crews only (which only applies in amber conditions), just no novice coxes
    It's gone blue?! I checked this morning and it was still amber!! :eek: Actually yes we're still coxless - we only have 1 experienced cox atm and she's rowing in my boat. We do have various others hanging around - 2 finalists and the boat club captain but obviously they'd all rather not be taking on anything that's why they stopped! *Crosses fingers for a green flag*

Yeah, lentils are not good- I thought you magicked a way to get them to taste good with HP sauce though?
    Yeh that makes them edible - it doesn't make them good!

Why not protein-shakes? I know nothing about them really, but I've heard so long as you don't overdo it, there's no problem?
    The short version is that you can just overload your kidneys with protein if you're eating normally AND drinking them - it's kinda like eating the perfect diet and then taking 2 multivit a day. The long version is... longer.... I'm thinking I should be ok though because the point is I need the supplement!

Alternatively, give up rowing 'tis a silly sport.
    *looks unimpressed* No flapjack for you Mr Juthani!

BTW, fudge sounds amazing! I'm definitely up for that (unless I have actually died). In the meantime... french politics. Hmmm.
    Cool, will try to find a recipe that can set in time for us to make it together AND eat it. Or we could leave it to set overnight on Thurs and I could bring it over on Fri? Also have you checked Facebook recently? Just remembered that SEH eat later than Jesus - could just eat at mine if you like?

ReputationRep:
    Do what you can with the worksheets - what are they on anyway? And what's the essay title? Anything biological *procrastinates away from own essay title...*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjuthani)
    :hugs: From someone who knows what it can be like.
    I think we've all been there before at least in some form or other
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Do what you can with the worksheets - what are they on anyway? And what's the essay title? Anything biological *procrastinates away from own essay title...*
    Erm, explain the principles of fecundity, mortality and something else - ecology.

Analysis of variance and two tailed t test. The TTTTs should be alright, but ANOVA looks a real *****. Please no one tell me it's easy, I only did maths to GCSE and stats is really getting to me I also have eye-strain from two many late nights and I'm extremely tired, but I can't nap. I might cry.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I'm pretty good with ANOVA (are you doing it on Minitab?) but Dave still has all my notes from last year when he "borrowed them" so I haven't really got anything I could pidge to you... That sounds like quite a short essay question although I guess it depends on the reading list.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hmmm I'm pretty good with ANOVA (are you doing it on Minitab?) but Dave still has all my notes from last year when he "borrowed them" so I haven't really got anything I could pidge to you... That sounds like quite a short essay question although I guess it depends on the reading list.
    I wish! I have to do it by hand. I feel... today is possibly one of my worst days in Oxford. I supposed to be taking it easy, getting better, not "burning the candle at both ends", to quote my doctor, and that's what the next fews days are going to be.

This is so ****.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, take it easy, charlotte. That really sucks, but it's not worth getting into a state about. The worst that can happen is that you can't do all the questions- but that's the whole point of having tutorials on such things.

:hug:
    Jonathan
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thomasjtl)
    Oh, take it easy, charlotte. That really sucks, but it's not worth getting into a state about. The worst that can happen is that you can't do all the questions- but that's the whole point of having tutorials on such things.

:hug:
    Jonathan
    I really can't help it, and you don't have my tutor. I have occaisionally thought about switching to arch and anth to get away from him.

ReputationRep:
    I really can't help it, and you don't have my tutor. I have occaisionally thought about switching to arch and anth to get away from him.
    Ok, even coming from me with my tutor, seriously, take it easy. While they may not agree with "I'm really ill, I need time off", that doesn't stop that fact that you need to. Tell them, and if he gets too grumpy, talk to welfare officer/dean/senior tutor. You are ill, you need to rest and relax and do work slowly and steadily. If the timetable doesn't allow it, talk to someone more senior and arrange for it to. It doesn't help your learning (which is, after all, the actual reason for the work) to be not remembering it or panicing :hugs:

On a slightly better note, I got a *compliment* on my extra collections :eek: Admittedly it was the slightly-double-edged one of "this is a big improvement on the previous effort", but I'll take it

Analysis of variance and two tailed t test. The TTTTs should be alright, but ANOVA looks a real *****. Please no one tell me it's easy, I only did maths to GCSE and stats is really getting to me I also have eye-strain from two many late nights and I'm extremely tired, but I can't nap. I might cry.
    ANOVA *is* a real *****. Luckily out exams are set up with 8 possible questions and you only need do two, so I skipped it entirely
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Ok, even coming from me with my tutor, seriously, take it easy. While they may not agree with "I'm really ill, I need time off", that doesn't stop that fact that you need to. Tell them, and if he gets too grumpy, talk to welfare officer/dean/senior tutor. You are ill, you need to rest and relax and do work slowly and steadily. If the timetable doesn't allow it, talk to someone more senior and arrange for it to. It doesn't help your learning (which is, after all, the actual reason for the work) to be not remembering it or panicing :hugs:

On a slightly better note, I got a *compliment* on my extra collections :eek: Admittedly it was the slightly-double-edged one of "this is a big improvement on the previous effort", but I'll take it

ANOVA *is* a real *****. Luckily out exams are set up with 8 possible questions and you only need do two, so I skipped it entirely

We have to do five stats questions from 10, so I think I may avoid ANOVA entirely. I am going to have to speak to my tutor about him cutting me a bit of slack, and possibly talk to someone else about not having him for stats anymore. God I feel awful.

ReputationRep:
    Is he really that bad? Or is it a misunderstanding - I know I've had those with tutors before who thought I was just lazy. How awful is awful? Awful enough that you need time out, a hug and an ice cream? Or still not awful enough to justify a work-break?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.