The Student Room Group

Dating with no intent to marry is like going to the grocery store with no money.

Dating with no intent to marry is like going to the grocery store with no money. U either leave unhappy or take something that isn't yours.

Do you agree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No

hth
Reply 2
No. Humans need companionship. Dating is one way to establish that. Plenty of people date without marrying for the sake of companionship, friendship, and intimacy.

And then, of course, there are those who cannot marry, like gay people who live in places where gay marriage is illegal.
Reply 3
Original post by HucktheForde
Dating with no intent to marry is like going to the grocery store with no money. U either leave unhappy or take something that isn't yours.

Do you agree?

There are three types of women; good time girls, girlfriends and woman to marry.
Some men find most women to be so self entitled and masculine they will never marry but enjoy the companionship and or sex because they perceive a better woman unattainable.
Reply 4
Original post by si82
There are three types of women; good time girls, girlfriends and woman to marry.
Some men find most women to be so self entitled and masculine they will never marry but enjoy the companionship and or sex because they perceive a better woman unattainable.

How many types of men are there?
Reply 5
It would be better if you define what does a 'date' actually meant?
Reply 6
Original post by HucktheForde

Do you agree?

for a guy maybe. but for girls datings an income
No , you don't have to be married to spend your life with someone.
Reply 8
Original post by Brains127
It would be better if you define what does a 'date' actually meant?

:fyi:here you go:
noun
Date is defined as a particularly day of the month or day, month and year.

An example of date is October 9, 1925.

Reply 9
Original post by fiasco.j
:fyi:here you go:
noun
Date is defined as a particularly day of the month or day, month and year.

An example of date is October 9, 1925.

hehe that means date doesn't mean its an official marriage meeting lol
Reply 10
No, relationships can be enjoyable of themselves so they are still worthwhile if they don't end in marriage.
Reply 11
Nope. You don't need to marry to have a long term relationship.
Reply 12
The want to date doesn't imply a want for marriage, so this comparison doesn't work in my opinion. The grocery shop is also an awkward analogy - it seems to imply that marriage is a price that must be paid, and that partners are something that can be bought by means of such exchanges, which seems a cynical (and not representative) view of relationships.
Are you basically saying we shouldn't date for short term purposes? Because not everyone needs to get married to stay together until death...
Of course not.
I don't have to marry someone to prove to them that I love them and am committed to them.
people date for companionship and sometimes hoping for sex and marriage. Having a sexual relationship without considering that this may result in a child (even if contraception is used), being prepared to support that child financially and emotionally and to have enough of an ongoing relationship with the other parent to support their relationship with a child is wrong. So is marrying someone just so that you can have sex with the approval of your community.
No, you're just a slave to societal expectations. Marriage is not the be and end all, in fact, looking at divorce rates, it looks like a load of crap to me.
No. What if I am 18 years old. Going into a relationship with that mindset would scare him away
To be honest, with such a high proportion of marriages ending in divorce now, and a huge number of couples cheating on each other, living together before marriage, having babies before they're married etc - it just doesn't mean what it used to.

I bet there are very very few people who date without sleeping together, and only spend their first night together in their own home on their wedding night.

Ultimately, marriage is so easy to get out of these days, and fewer people are religious, so unless you're dead set on getting married, it's really not a necessity anymore.
Original post by Emily.97
I don't have to marry someone to prove to them that I love them and am committed to them.

I don't think anyone is fully committed to me (and me to them) unless we're married. Otherwise, either of us can leave at any time, for any reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending