The Student Room Group

How do these choices sound?

I have sent in my UCAS form and I have applied for the following Universities. My predicted grades are: English D, ICT B (Double Award) (might have a disappointing exam, as at AS, so need to be cautious), AS History D, as General Studies D

I am applying for English and Theology at the following Universities:
University of Hull - 300 UCAS points needed
University of Lincoln - 180 UCAS points I think, but not too keen on going here
University of Nottingham - AAB - ABB
University of Sheffield - ABB
University of Leeds - ABB

I feel that a lot of these courses are ambitious, but this is the subject that I want to study and I have tried to choice locations where I would be interested in living.

Many thanks for any advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You only have a chance at hull and lincoln. The other universities are quite competitive as indicated by the requirements.
Reply 2
Nottingham, Sheffield and Leeds are all long shots if you are predicted the above grades.
Reply 3
there are about 108 unis so try and pick some unis that are outside the top 30 :smile:
Reply 4
to be brutally honest, why are you applying to unis with standard offers WAY above your predicted grades? Lincoln is the only one that's within your reach, as I believe 300 UCAS points is roughly BBB, and you're predicted BBD, which is still a huge gulf.
Reply 5
I only applied to Universities where I am interested in going. In my reference, the referee has added reference to the fact that I am not always able to complete exam questions, so I hope that they will be willing to take a chance.
Reply 6
I feel that a lot of these courses are ambitious, but this is the subject that I want to study and I have tried to choice locations where I would be interested in living.

At least you recognise that some of the courses you've picked are ambitious. In your words, 'I have tried to choice locations where I would be interested in living': there must be other universities with slightly lower entry requirements, which you would be willing to go to, surely? It's all about compromising... However, to finish on a positive note: If you are really enthusiastic about the course you have applied for, this *should* come across in your PS (and getting your referee to mention that you significantly underperform in examation/timed conditions could be beneficial). Hope that's helped :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for all the advice. I am wanting to live at home for University and even some of the choices that I have selected are slightly further than I would like. Ideally I want to go to Hull
Reply 8
If i were in your shoes, i'd apply for at least 2 you're positive you can get the grades for, 2 that are maybes, and the other 2 do what you like with :smile: If you want to go Nottingham or Leeds definitely apply there, my predicted grades were DDE but i got ABC (alot of retakes) :smile: You never know :biggrin:
Reply 9
If i were in your shoes, i'd apply for at least 2 you're positive you can get the grades for, 2 that are maybes, and the other 2 do what you like with :smile: If you want to go Nottingham or Leeds definitely apply there, my predicted grades were DDE but i got ABC (alot of retakes) :smile: You never know :biggrin:
Reply 10
shauncouldstone
Thank you for all the advice. I am wanting to live at home for University and even some of the choices that I have selected are slightly further than I would like. Ideally I want to go to Hull

Hmmm, unless you live within 5-15 miles of the university you would struggle to live at home. Commuting to Nottingham university and back from Hull everyday would be a complete nightmare. And as the other people have said, you are predicted BDDD, a maximum of 280 UCAS points, so you would seriously struggle to get into any of your choices apart from Lincoln. If you are really interested in studying the subject you should think about living away and applying to universities around the 200-250 UCAS points mark.
Unfortunately, Nottingham, Sheffield and Leeds seem way out of your reach even with an excellent personal statement and reference, especially with the predicted D in English. Your referee mentioning your difficulty with exams may actually end up going against you as well because traditional unis also place much more emphasis on exams than coursework, so the admissions tutors may feel that if you can't cope with A-level exams, you won't cope at uni either. You'll be fine with Lincoln though, and you should be fine with Hull, unless they specify that those 300 points must come from 3 A-levels. You say you'd like to live in those locations, but have you looked into other unis in the same areas with lower entry requirements? Leeds Met, for example, don't offer English and theology, but you can do straight English with 220 points and you'll have 350 altogether if you meet your predictions. You also have one more space to fill.
i think you need to think this through a bit more.

Nottingham is top tier for english (lots of AAA students don't get in) and asks for A in English joint Theology. With a prediction of D and AVCE you will be rejected outright.

Leeds and sheffield are slightly less competitive but still ask for A and B in English for joint courses. Also rejections I'm afraid.

Hull asks for 300 points and without a B in English will be a real stretch. Depending on the applicants/places ratio, you might get an offer but struggle to meet the conditions.

Lincoln should be OK but you are not keen.

If you want to stay in Hull, and that's fine if it will suit you better, have a look at American Studies. Offers range from 260-300 points and applications for this subject nationally fell through the floor last year (probably cos of Iraq/Bush). Options include literature, art, history, film and a year in America.

For other more realistic options in the region, have a look at the Leeds Met and Sheffield Hallam prospectuses.

Before you make your final choices, look carefully at the proportion of exams to coursework. You might be able to minimise the amount of exams you have to take & increase your chances of getting a decent degree.

Sorry if this sounds negative but you need to aim for unis/courses with entry requirements that are achievable: maybe 2 a little above your predictions, 2 in line with predictions and 2 a little below so you have an insurance if thinks go wrong next year.

Is there someone at school/college who could help you with the research/choices?

Good luck
but wasnt there a girl on this forum who was predicted EEE at A level and got into her uni wich needed something like ABB
Reply 14
American Studies

Thanks for all the advice. I only want to do English or Theology. Ideally, I would like to study them together, but if this is not possible and if the entry requirements for single English are too demanding then I would consider Theology on its own, if the requirements are less. I struggle to see the purpose of doing a degree just to have one, if it is not a subject I am whole-heartedly interested in.

Many thanks again for all the sugestions.
I think the last 3 chocies are a bit mental but good luck anyways :yy:
Reply 16
Predictions are only predictions, if you really believe that you can get there then go for it, otherwise you won't get anywhere.
If I was totally honest, I would admit that Exeter and Cardiff are long shots for me but if I never try, I'll never know. Anything is possible with enough effort.
Good luck :smile:
If you're set on English/Theology, you'll need to look at some courses with lower entry requirements. The Guardian league tables let you search by course/tariff points.

For theology only, Leeds ask for BBB, Sheffield BBC, Nottingham ABC, Hull 260 points (BCC). So Hull should be a good possibility, with Leeds & Sheffield as stretch choices. You might be able to pick up English as an anciliary module.

Good luck
Reply 18
Thanks for the advice. I think for theology only then Sheffield could be a good possibility because 2 B's could come from IT as it is a double award, so I would only need a C in one other subject

Thanks again
English and Religious Studies at Aberdeen: CCC
Theology and English at Canterbury Christ Church: CC
English and Theology/Religion at Greenwich: 160 points
Theology and English at Newman College of Higer Education: 160-240 points
Theology and English Literature at Roehampton: 240 points (excluding General Studies)
English and Theology & Religious Studies at St. Mary's College: 160-200 points
English Literature and Theology & Religious Studies at York St. John: 160 points
English and Theology & Religious Studies at Winchester: 220 points (including C in English)
English Language and Theology & Religious Studies at Liverpool Hope: 220 points
English and Theology & Religious Studies at Chester: 240 points (icluding C in English)

I don't know whether you'd consider any of those because of location, but they're just some ideas based on entry requirements.

Latest

Trending

Trending