The Student Room Group

Are we all equal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
Equality does not mean the same. We are all equal, not the same.

3 + 4 = 9 - 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol. We are all human beings. We are not numbers or equations! We are not imaginations! So we aren't all equal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skunkboy
Lol. Of course. And there are also winners of four sexes( I can't forget homosexuals & transsexuals ). Both sexes are human beings as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ummmm, that's gender, not sex, and in fact, homosexual is neither, that's sexuality. And even if you go down that route, there are more than 4
Reply 62
When people ask for equality it doesn't mean they think everyone is equal, it means everyone should be afforded equal opportunity and judged on their own merits and failures. No not everyone is equal, but if you are being turned down for a job because of the colour of your skin rather than because you didn't measure up to the competition that is irrelevant.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I would say, depending on how you define equal, this to be trivially false. For example, is somebody who is born with a mental illness (or other illness, changing words from now on as necessary) which limits their brain function to the level that we would legally define them as retarded and who is condemned to die by the age of 10 even with the help of medical professionals really equal to a hypothetical "perfect" person with a correctly operating, high functional mind, with a "perfect" physical form?

I think you're on about mental disability/handicap/retardation. Mental illness is literally sod all to do with intelligence. Completely different. Not even remotely comparable.
Original post by Walt_14
I think you're on about mental disability/handicap/retardation. Mental illness is literally sod all to do with intelligence. Completely different. Not even remotely comparable.

That implies one had no impact on another, as far as retardation it, by definition, must.
no. I'm better. I can smoke and drink without getting ill.
That implies one had no impact on another, as far as retardation it, by definition, must.

Whatever but you still can't compare mental illness to mental disability. I think it's pretty clear what the difference is.

And mental retardation is not an illness.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Walt_14
Whatever but you still can't compare mental illness to mental disability. I think it's pretty clear what the difference is.

And mental retardation is not an illness.

It can be, or at least be the consequence of
It can be, or at least be the consequence of

It can't, though. Such terms as disability and handicap are not synonymous with the likes of disease, illness or sickness. Both states are conditions, yeah. But cognitively impaired people are not ill, even if it can lead to ill health.
Ummmm, that's gender, not sex, and in fact, homosexual is neither, that's sexuality. And even if you go down that route, there are more than 4

More than 4? Really? Lol. You can't be serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucaf
When people ask for equality it doesn't mean they think everyone is equal, it means everyone should be afforded equal opportunity and judged on their own merits and failures. No not everyone is equal, but if you are being turned down for a job because of the colour of your skin rather than because you didn't measure up to the competition that is irrelevant.

Let's be serious. If private business is free to make it's own decisions, and supposedly they act on their best interests for success: why is it the state who should intervene and prevent the private businessman from not hiring a gentleman or gentlemanwoman whom he wishes not to employ?
Original post by skunkboy
More than 4? Really? Lol. You can't be serious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a **** ton of genders and sexualities; not hard to have a lot of something when the concept itself is a social construct
a social construct

Ah, the magic word that sociologists jump on to show why there is discrimination and inequality. Gender is clearly a social construct, race is most definitely a social construct. Prove me wrong.

...oh wait
Reply 73
We are living in a hierarchal system. Equality's a myth.
Everyone obviously isn't equal. However, everyone should be given equal opportunities. A lot of the differences between people are because of social differences rather than any kind of innate difference, although people who are better off enjoy convincing themselves that they're successful because they're "special" or "hard-working" or just "better". This is generally either wrong or a massive exaggeration, yet it's the delusion that allows social and economic inequality to expand.
Original post by HigherMinion
Ah, the magic word that sociologists jump on to show why there is discrimination and inequality. Gender is clearly a social construct, race is most definitely a social construct. Prove me wrong.

...oh wait

Sex, no arguing about it, male or female (well, I suppose you get a slight ambiguity in there in a few instances, but not really)
Gender, as defined by WHO, is socially constructed. And if you don't believe that there are more than 4, I guess you go and look at the Facebook list of genders, among others; while many are synonymous to other options already there, we have 71 of them, because that's reflective of society.
Reply 76
Original post by Chlorophile
Everyone obviously isn't equal. However, everyone should be given equal opportunities. A lot of the differences between people are because of social differences rather than any kind of innate difference, although people who are better off enjoy convincing themselves that they're successful because they're "special" or "hard-working" or just "better". This is generally either wrong or a massive exaggeration, yet it's the delusion that allows social and economic inequality to expand.

Of course it is and of course we should. We need to understand why things are the way they are, in order to fix the problem. Why is there inequality?
Original post by NHM713
Of course it is and of course we should. We need to understand why things are the way they are, in order to fix the problem. Why is there inequality?

My question is why is it important to have no inequality as long as the majority aren't living in squaller?
Sex, no arguing about it, male or female (well, I suppose you get a slight ambiguity in there in a few instances, but not really)
Gender, as defined by WHO, is socially constructed. And if you don't believe that there are more than 4, I guess you go and look at the Facebook list of genders, among others; while many are synonymous to other options already there, we have 71 of them, because that's reflective of society.

They can claim the two are different or not linked, but WHO would be wrong. Gender, the way we perceive men and women and the way we live generally- is informed by biology. To claim otherwise is fantasy. Sex and gender is the same, however, you can still act slightly more or less feminine or masculine to varying degrees. That does_not_affect_your_gender.

All studies showing gender as a social construct has proven false. Notably the sexologist and sociologist John Money (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money) after trying to show that his patient Reimer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer) successfully was raised female. He was raised female since birth and still he committed suicide from severe depression. Great evidence.
Reply 79
Original post by HigherMinion
My question is why is it important to have no inequality as long as the majority aren't living in squaller?

So your saying, we don't need to have equality as long as the majority don't suffer? Why not just have equality? it's fair. We are all living beings, we are all going to die.

This whole hierarchal business is BS.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest