Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've been offered a place at Bournemouth to study Adult Nursing (Bsc). I was told that my placement areas would be in and around Bournemouth, but I'm not too sure whether to apply for uni halls, or hospital accomodation. On the website they pointed it out that its much more convenient to live in hospital accomodations as its closer to placements and stuff, but I dont see it applying to me, as my placement is based around Bournemouth anyway. What do you guys think? I'm really confused. I thought they place undergraduate nursing students all in one building or something, but clearly not which is better I think. Anyway, can someone give me any tips and more information please as I live no where near Bournemouth, the place is unknown to me. Thanks! I'd greatly appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi ql_xo,

Firstly - Congratulations on your offer - you must be so pleased!! I am in my thirs year at Bournemouth and doing social work so I know how important your housing choice can be when thinking about placement.

I think you can look at this two ways - firstly you might find it easier living nearer the hospital you are going to be based in for when you are doing shifts - as I am sure this is going to be pretty tough at times. Secondly - if you are only in one location for the duration of your degree halls would also (in the first year anyway) be a suitable location for you in terms of distance to the local hospital.

However if I can give you some honest advice you might want to consider hospital accommodation first as halls, while excellent fun, can be quite full on and may impact on your ability to sleep at times - especially during those shift patterns! Also if you are going to be using a car to get about to your placements you won't be able to have this near your halls as none of them offer parking for people (other than Blue Badge holders).

The important thing to realise is that even though hospital accommodation might not seem as fun, you will be around like minded people who are going to be going through the same course as you and that kind of support is going to be really important. This is not to say that you won't be able to get involved in all the fun social activities that your first year at Uni has to offer but that it won't impact on you when you have had a hard day on placement and just need to chill out.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask - or you wil have had contact details of your admissions tutor on the offer you have receieved.

Good Luck and I hope this helps

What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.