Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am crashing history this year and I am unsure of how to revise because there is so much you need to know for History. It would be great if any one could share their methods to revise for History. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I am doing higher history too. I find it best that after each issue to go through the course notes and just taking short bullet point notes of things you need to know. As you probably already know there is many notes that you get so leaving it until the exam to revise won't work. Just try and see if that works. If not, I also find making spider diagrams easy to use and colours and highlighting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oh okay, I will try that method out, thank you so much :-)

ReputationRep:
    I crashed higher history last year and got an A. I would practice writing out my essays with notes, then see if I could bullet point the main ideas from each paragraph, then re-write the essay with notes again, then see if I could write more detailed bullet points, then keep doing this until you're able to write out the whole essay without notes. And for the source questions, I wrote important dates and events on post-it notes and put them all over my house and they soon stuck in my mind! Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semplem)
    I crashed higher history last year and got an A. I would practice writing out my essays with notes, then see if I could bullet point the main ideas from each paragraph, then re-write the essay with notes again, then see if I could write more detailed bullet points, then keep doing this until you're able to write out the whole essay without notes. And for the source questions, I wrote important dates and events on post-it notes and put them all over my house and they soon stuck in my mind! Hope that helps.
    That's amazing and thank you so much for the advice! Btw how many essays did you learn for each section?

ReputationRep:
    My teachers recommended that I learn four from each topic as that way at least one essay I revised from each topic would come up. But I know you're not supposed to do this and it isn't reliable but I had a look at the essay questions that had been asked the last few years and eliminated the ones from my revision list that probably wouldn't come up. I revised two essays - one from each topic - really well as I thought they would probably come up and I did some quick revision of the other essays just in case. I was lucky though, and the two essays I thought would be asked, were asked.

ReputationRep:
    Flashcards.

-Good for avoiding "waffling" as you have to express things concisely.
    -Great for rote learning which is crucial to History due to the amount of dates, acts, statistics, treaties... etc.
    -Allows you to find out exactly what you know and what you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Did higher last year and got an A.

For the essays:

• learn four essays from each topic (I didn't do this, but I guessed right what questions would come up. This year you won't be able to do that.)
    • you don't need to have your notes just like your text book, instead style your notes for your essays.
    • annotate your notes with what factor they fit into. begin to analyse the KU as you go, this will make the exam easier.
    • don't try to learn entire essay's off by heart, instead figure out the essays you want to learn and write down briefly the KU for each essay under factor headings
    • practice writing the essays and get your teacher to mark them
    • once you get the essay up to scratch and you've learnt the KU and how to analyse it you're fine.
    • know your concluding factor for each essay before you sit the exam. this means no matter what title you are given, you know how your essay will end. this will help your argument be in your favour
    • there's no point trying to learn multiple titles for each essay, you just need to change the first sentence, your line of argument, your conclusion and how you end your analysis. make sure that the factor in your title is always your first paragraph
    • write two conclusions, one summing up your arguments and one deciding what the most important factor is
    • you can manipulate the KU with your analysis however you like, it is your argument that helps get you your marks

for paper 2/section 1 you just need to learn the KU. try to break down the KU into source recall questions (how far/how fully), even though you have more than this type of question, learning the KU and styling it towards this question will be easy. for the other types of questions (how useful and comparison) the marks are essentially given to you once you have the stye down. if you learn the ku for the how far/fully then you can manipulate it to be used for the other question types.

if you want examples of essays I'm more than willing to let you see the ones I have typed up. obviously you can't copy me, especially as one is my extended essay question for last year, and they might not even be for the topics you're studying, but it might help you get the structure down. ^^

(also please don't do what I did and cram your section 1/paper 2 KU right before the exam)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoldenAge)
    Did higher last year and got an A.

For the essays:

• learn four essays from each topic (I didn't do this, but I guessed right what questions would come up. This year you won't be able to do that.)
    • you don't need to have your notes just like your text book, instead style your notes for your essays.
    • annotate your notes with what factor they fit into. begin to analyse the KU as you go, this will make the exam easier.
    • don't try to learn entire essay's off by heart, instead figure out the essays you want to learn and write down briefly the KU for each essay under factor headings
    • practice writing the essays and get your teacher to mark them
    • once you get the essay up to scratch and you've learnt the KU and how to analyse it you're fine.
    • know your concluding factor for each essay before you sit the exam. this means no matter what title you are given, you know how your essay will end. this will help your argument be in your favour
    • there's no point trying to learn multiple titles for each essay, you just need to change the first sentence, your line of argument, your conclusion and how you end your analysis. make sure that the factor in your title is always your first paragraph
    • write two conclusions, one summing up your arguments and one deciding what the most important factor is
    • you can manipulate the KU with your analysis however you like, it is your argument that helps get you your marks

for paper 2/section 1 you just need to learn the KU. try to break down the KU into source recall questions (how far/how fully), even though you have more than this type of question, learning the KU and styling it towards this question will be easy. for the other types of questions (how useful and comparison) the marks are essentially given to you once you have the stye down. if you learn the ku for the how far/fully then you can manipulate it to be used for the other question types.

if you want examples of essays I'm more than willing to let you see the ones I have typed up. obviously you can't copy me, especially as one is my extended essay question for last year, and they might not even be for the topics you're studying, but it might help you get the structure down. ^^

(also please don't do what I did and cram your section 1/paper 2 KU right before the exam)
    wow, thanks for the amazing advice! This really helps, and yeah it would be fabulous if you could let me see your essay? Recently for my munich essay I got 14 where-as for my essay for the reasons for the aggressiveness of Italy and Germany in their foreign policy I got 13 which is good I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahmed998)
    Hi I am crashing history this year and I am unsure of how to revise because there is so much you need to know for History. It would be great if any one could share their methods to revise for History. Thanks in advance
    Get essay plans and memorise each factor and bullet points for each factor. Learn them in chunks so eventually you can write out the factors and bullet points off by heart.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.