Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm a mature student applying to medical school for 2015. I've got a BA 2:1 Hons degree and three A-levels etc. I am currently studying towards my AS-level in Biology and Chemistry in June which would take my UCAS Tariff to 450. If I take the full A-level, my predicted tariff would be between 530 - 570.

My question is this. Once you've taken the UKCAT & GAMSAT etc, how does your degree affect your tariff score? The university I really want to go to has started interviewing and I find all the posts about tariffs + UKCAT scores so confusing if you also have a degree.

Does any one have any pearls or experience they could shed light with?

Thanks and good luck to all,
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ed Erasmus)
    Hello all,

I'm a mature student applying to medical school for 2015. I've got a BA 2:1 Hons degree and three A-levels etc. I am currently studying towards my AS-level in Biology and Chemistry in June which would take my UCAS Tariff to 450. If I take the full A-level, my predicted tariff would be between 530 - 570.

My question is this. Once you've taken the UKCAT & GAMSAT etc, how does your degree affect your tariff score? The university I really want to go to has started interviewing and I find all the posts about tariffs + UKCAT scores so confusing if you also have a degree.

Does any one have any pearls or experience they could shed light with?

Thanks and good luck to all,
    Graduate entry doesn't use tariffs. It's based on your degree, (to some extent) your a levels and (a few use) gcses plus ukcat/bmat/gamsat as applicable.

If you have a degree you're classed as a graduate applicant not a mature applicant btw and this has funding implications.

Deadline for applications for starting the following September is always October 15.

Head over to the medicine forums, have a read of the wiki and the graduate entry threads for more of an idea what to do (would link but I'm on my phone).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. Thanks so much for your help. Will head over there and do some investigating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Graduate entry doesn't use tariffs. It's based on your degree, (to some extent) your a levels and (a few use) gcses plus ukcat/bmat/gamsat as applicable.

If you have a degree you're classed as a graduate applicant not a mature applicant btw and this has funding implications.

Deadline for applications for starting the following September is always October 15.

Head over to the medicine forums, have a read of the wiki and the graduate entry threads for more of an idea what to do (would link but I'm on my phone).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apologies, one last thing. I've applied for x2 GEP programs and x2 5yr programs to start Sept 2015. Do the 5yr programs use a tariff or does all the info in your post still apply to both types of course?

Thanks again
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Apologies, one last thing. I've applied for x2 GEP programs and x2 5yr programs to start Sept 2015. Do the 5yr programs use a tariff or does all the info in your post still apply to both types of course?

Thanks again
    Doesn't use tarriff either. They also base it on degree and have specific a level requirements for graduates (except Bristol I think who still require AAA).

I assume you are aware about the lack of funding for the 5 year programme?

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. Thank you so much. Incredibly helpful.

Yes - I'm aware of the money side of things and would have to get a maintenance loan or something of that nature to cover me. It's quite a large bill to stomach but one I'm prepared to take.

The GEPs are great and applied to Kings and St Georges but didn't get high enough on the UKCAT compared to others and just missed the GAMSAT score. The 5yr uni I've applied to would be great as I live nearby so could live at home.

Are you in medical school or similarly applying?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't use tarriff either. They also base it on degree and have specific a level requirements for graduates (except Bristol I think who still require AAA).

I assume you are aware about the lack of funding for the 5 year programme?
    I should add that I need to be London based or as close to it as my partner works in London - which narrows my choice a little!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Brilliant. Thank you so much. Incredibly helpful.

Yes - I'm aware of the money side of things and would have to get a maintenance loan or something of that nature to cover me. It's quite a large bill to stomach but one I'm prepared to take.

The GEPs are great and applied to Kings and St Georges but didn't get high enough on the UKCAT compared to others and just missed the GAMSAT score. The 5yr uni I've applied to would be great as I live nearby so could live at home.

Are you in medical school or similarly applying?
    You know there are no tuition fee loans for grads on the five year so you would need to be the £9000 fee up front for the first four years? You still get the maintenance loan IIRC

I'm a first year grad at Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    Embarrassingly I thought I got some assistance. That's really good to know and I have got my research all wrong. I thought I was eligible for at least part of a student loan but would have to front quite a lot of it myself. Having just looked it up again it's quite clearly not that.

I think the chances of me getting into this Uni, although it would be great geographically, are slim. Perhaps next year I should look at squarely GEP programs.

Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it. How are you enjoying Leicester?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Embarrassingly I thought I got some assistance. That's really good to know and I have got my research all wrong. I thought I was eligible for at least part of a student loan but would have to front quite a lot of it myself. Having just looked it up again it's quite clearly not that.

I think the chances of me getting into this Uni, although it would be great geographically, are slim. Perhaps next year I should look at squarely GEP programs.

Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it. How are you enjoying Leicester?
    No problem. Like I said the wiki and the threads on here are very useful (although the wiki may be slightly out of date so check with on uni websites as well) and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Leicester is fairly heavy going, in the middle of exam prep atm which is not going so well

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Like I said the wiki and the threads on here are very useful (although the wiki may be slightly out of date so check with on uni websites as well) and i you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Leicester is fairly heavy going, in the middle of exam prep atm which is not going so well
    A few are out of date but I'll keep trawling and see what I can find.

Good luck with it all. I'm sure you'll do grand and thanks so much once again for all your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.