Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad to graduate uni then choose to go into an apprenticeship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My degree is a vocational degree in building surveying, lots of the graduate roles are oversubscribed to and make you do all sorts of psychometric tests, and end up in a boring office job earning little over 20k.

There's an apprenticeship in railway engineering for the Metro system here open and starts in September, it's a year and a half of college followed by a hear and a half working the job as an apprentice, then you're guaranteed a job at the end as either a track engineer, signal engineer, or buildings and infrastructure worker. These sound way more interesting to me as a career as I've always been interested in railways but the apprenticeship only pays 8k a year and eventually goes up to a better wage once done.

I'd feel like I'd wasted uni money because I could have done this apprenticeship four years ago but at the same time I have zero interest in the career the degree relates to and it never hurts to have one under the belt for moving up the company in the future right?

I'm totally stuck on this decision, at the minute I'm thinking of applying and I can always turn it down if I do change my mind on it.

Help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with applying for it. As you've said, you can turn it down if you change your mind.

Only thing to be aware of is that a lot of apprenticeships won't take applicants with a degree as they won't get the government funding. As long as you've checked this and it's not the case in this situation you may as well go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you demean yourself by working for 8k a year? Especially when you have a degree.

Hell, how do you even survive on 8k a year in the UK??

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I have had a number of graduates on apprenticeship programmes I have had responsibility for.

They are particularly good for those who want to join a industry where to join a graduate programme you would need a relevant/vocational degree directly related to the career, but haven't got those qualifications.

But I would suggest seeing if there are opportunities for you at a graduate level with similar/other employers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.