Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are too many people applying to university? Watch

ReputationRep:
    'Overall, Ucas said 580,000 applied to study at higher education level this year...'
    ... In 2014.

Discuss...

Source:-
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...-ucas#comments

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Too many Mickey Mouse courses needing low ucas points to get in, everyone's applying for crap courses that they meet requirements for just so they can say they've been to uni. The majority of courses are a load of rubbish and the jobs you can get from them should be given via internships not degrees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physflop)
    Too many Mickey Mouse courses needing low ucas points to get in, everyone's applying for crap courses that they meet requirements for just so they can say they've been to uni. The majority of courses are a load of rubbish and the jobs you can get from them should be given via internships not degrees
    Agreed.

What should we be doing to stop these mickey - mouse courses?

ReputationRep:
    Apprenticeships should be encouraged more by the government and by teachers etc. for students who are less able.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)
    Agreed.

50k/year tuition fees

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)
    Agreed.

and whos to decide what constitutes a "mickey mouse course?" You? Or some other Joe Bloggs from down the road with a different opinion.

Personally no, I dont think there are too many - if 1000 or 10000 people applied and theres only 100 spots, only 100 spots will be filled. If you want a top course then work the hardest, get the points you need and prove your the best. Everyone has the right to an education and has the right to take that education as far as tehy wish/can/are willing to work for.

If a person is willing to do the work they have every right to be there as much as everyone else

(Original post by Up quark)
    50k/year tuition fees

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah great idea. Let only the wealthy go to university. Didnt you lot do all that already? And then the world changed and realised that the poor are not the stepping stones for the rich. Leave that idea back in the 19th century where it belongs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    and whos to decide what constitutes a "mickey mouse course?" You? Or some other Joe Bloggs from down the road with a different opinion.

Personally no, I dont think there are too many - if 1000 or 10000 people applied and theres only 100 spots, only 100 spots will be filled. If you want a top course then work the hardest, get the points you need and prove your the best. Everyone has the right to an education and has the right to take that education as far as tehy wish/can/are willing to work for.

If a person is willing to do the work they have every right to be there as much as everyone else

yeah great idea. Let only the wealthy go to university. Didnt you lot do all that already? And then the world changed and realised that the poor are not the stepping stones for the rich. Leave that idea back in the 19th century where it belongs
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...versities.html

There are unlimited places for students going to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...versities.html

There are unlimited places for students going to university.
    but what they dont point out is that there are only limited seats in a room, only so many rooms in a building etc etc etc. Places like Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham etc etc will still only accept the best applicant whether there is 50 500 or 5000 forms dropped on thier desk. As long as the quality remains good and the students work thier damndest then let it carry on.

ReputationRep:
    but what they dont point out is that there are only limited seats in a room, only so many rooms in a building etc etc etc. Places like Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham etc etc will still only accept the best applicant whether there is 50 500 or 5000 forms dropped on thier desk. As long as the quality remains good and the students work thier damndest then let it carry on.
    Obviously top universities such as Oxbridge, Birmingham, Exeter, Imperial, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester etc. Will still only accept the best candidates for a course at their universities. What do we do about the really bad - polys who will practically take anybody on one of their courses.

ReputationRep:
    Most people still don't go to university - the estimate figure is between 36% and 42%. So I wouldn't say too many go, no. Additionally, many of the 580k won't end up going due to bad results, reconsidering, etc.

On on a separate note, the article highlights how influential league tables are. A 35% increase in Surrey applicants because a well known bs table placed them 8th using random numbers? Do people even bother to research the quality of universities from sources that aren't domestic league tables?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhGod)
    Obviously top universities such as Oxbridge, Birmingham, Exeter, Imperial, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester etc. Will still only accept the best candidates for a course at their universities. What do we do about the really bad - polys who will practically take anybody on one of their courses.
    Improve the standards of the courses and the quality of the courses. The answer is NOT to stop applicants who certain people deem not suitable for college/uni from having the chance to gain a degree in what they choose

ReputationRep:

Firstly, employers can decide is honestly their employees need to be degree educated, so no need to jump on your high horse. Also, the poor are not stopped by tuition fees, in actual fact the fees and student finance impact the middle class working families a lot more! I've been **** on for 3 years because my parents earn enough that I barely got any loan, and yet they don't actually earn enough to fund my education. The poor get grants, loans, bursaries, and then never have to pay off their loan if they end up in a low paid job anyway!

ReputationRep:

not all wealthy people are the brightest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    Most people still don't go to university - the estimate figure is between 36% and 42%. So I wouldn't say too many go, no. Additionally, many of the 580k won't end up going due to bad results, reconsidering, etc.

On on a separate note, the article highlights how influential league tables are. A 35% increase in Surrey applicants because a well known bs table placed them 8th using random numbers? Do people even bother to research the quality of universities from sources that aren't domestic league tables?
    Apparently people don't check the quality of courses using anything other than league tables.

Perhaps a much better way to answer this question would be to find out how many people graduate rather than apply to university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)

What are acceptable sources in your opinion? League tables are dubious, the sources of league tables, the HESA and the NSS are also dubious. Lastly, uni pages have a high proportion of information and a higher proportion of marketing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    What are acceptable sources in your opinion? League tables are dubious, the sources of league tables, the HESA and the NSS are also dubious. Lastly, uni pages have a high proportion of information and a higher proportion of marketing.
    Well, in terms of the quality of a university I think there are two main sides to it: academic reputation and employer reputation.

For its academic reputation, the RAE is one part to it, but actually going to a university and asking professors where the good universities are would be best in my opinion.

For its employer reputation, looking at things like this: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/med...university.pdf and the high fliers research would give you a good indication of where the people you want to work for place your uni.

Domestic league tables are the equivalent to Wikipedia - they aren't reliable in any sense of the word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whoops - duplicated post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    So HESA statistics are dubious are they?

They are Official Statistics so why don't you present your evidence of this to the Director General of the UK Statistics Authority.

http://www.statisticsauthority.gov.u...ent/index.html

ReputationRep:
    I think we should have more apprenticeships. Because we need those professions, not because the people doing them are less valuable.

And I think employers should discourage mickey mouse degrees by favourising people who actually have a useful degree for a specific job. Like, you do 'David Beckham studies' - it's a thing!- and get a job in human resources. I didn't want to give another more relevant example because I don't want to offend anyone as my opinions about Mickey-Mouse degrees are very biased since I am a science oriented person.

After all, it doesn't matter how many apply - good for them - what matters is how many get in and graduate. Personally, I think there are too many unis in the UK in which you can get in very easily and get a degree while slacking and partying all the time - intelligent people can do this at good unis too, but they are only a few.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.