Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

opinions on the implant? should i get it?(I'm 17 n have a bf)

ReputationRep:
    I have the implant. It's taken a long time for periods to get regular etc but I'm going to have another put in when the time comes. Ideal for me as a lot of stress was caused when I kept forgetting my pill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am now using my second implant, with both of them I have had irregular periods and I can go as long as 9 months without a period then get them none stop. The implant messes with your moods something terrible and I've had loads of fake pregnancies which make you feel ill! They aren't the best but I have no option but to have them as I wouldn't take the pill everyday and not ready to be a parent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there are loads of contraceptive options and I would thoroughly look into all your options before jumping straight to one. Its also important you know how your body, your menstrual cycle works and how any contraceptives will/can affect that, and also potential side effects. There are pills that have the same hormones as the implant, so it might be a good idea to try that to see how you react to the hormones before going for the implant. You can have the implant removed if you don't get on with it, but they will be reluctant to remove it and will encourage you to keep it in for a while for it to settle down, whereas if you really can't deal with the same hormones in pill form, they can't stop you from just stopping taking the pill.

May I suggest you use this to find out what your options are and work out what might be good options for you based on your situation

http://www.brook.org.uk/old/index.ph...raception-tool

ReputationRep:
    I had one until recently. I got on on with it, but I felt it was contributing to my low mood so swapped for mirena which in theory acts much more locally and has less systemic side effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessatkinsonx)
    I am now using my second implant, with both of them I have had irregular periods and I can go as long as 9 months without a period then get them none stop. The implant messes with your moods something terrible and I've had loads of fake pregnancies which make you feel ill! They aren't the best but I have no option but to have them as I wouldn't take the pill everyday and not ready to be a parent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are other options if you look into it... what about the patch or nuva ring which you change once a week rather than take every day, or the coil, hormonal or non hormonal, which lasts 5 - 10 years

(Original post by Anonymous)
    This is what my doctor told me when i recently spoke to them about the implant.
    firstly you'd be better off trying the progesterone only (aka mini pill) contraceptive pill as this uses the same hormones as the implant (different ones to your standard Pill). This way if you have any very bad side effects you can just stop taking it and not have to get it cut out of your arm which lets be honest is unecessary pain and hassle!
    The progesterone only pill and therefore the implant has a tendency to worsen skin in some people but there's no evidence to show it effects weight. You may also find that it causes spotting between periods, you may not get your period at all or you may have your period continuously for sometime until the hormones settle. This period side effects can go on for months, and in some cases up to a year.
    So I'd visit your doctor/ the clinic and talk about the mini pill and the possibility of the implant. They'll weigh you, measure you, do you bp etc and then give you advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have the. Implant some people it's ok some it's not my sister had it a bleed for 9 months none stop me well I can't really say if only had it 4 days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Are you talking about the Implanon or Nexplanon?

I had Implanon and it was awful..... Heavy and very irregular periods, I would have four in one month. My doctor kept saying it would take 3-9 months for my body to get used to it, but I finally gave up after ten months when I had an 18 day period (it was light, but still).
    I was using the nuvaring and liked it fine, period wasn't irregular. Stopped using it recently though because I'm single and don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    I have the implant and have never had a problem with it. No adverse side effects at all. I think everyone is different though. Sometimes I go months without a period sometimes I have one but when I do they usually last about a day and are extremely light.

ReputationRep:
    My experience of Implanon has been a nightmare.
    I got it inserted last year in July. Didn't have a period for 5 weeks, then for a couple of months I would get 2 periods a month, both for a week. The last 4 months It has been constant, first light bleeding every day and then every so often a few days of being heavy, now it is more heavy than light, and spots seem to be appearing on my skin too now.
    My mood has suffered too, I'm going to get it removed next week and can't wait!
    I'm going to give my body a break for a while, then try the injection.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.