The Student Room Group

does anyone here use 'namely' in their work?

Or does it make you sound like a pretentious snob if you use it? For example:

There are three dimensions in this Universe, namely the first, second and third dimensions.

There are four banks on the this high street, namely Halifax, TSB, Nat West and HSBC.

Does it just sound ridiculous?
Looks and sound fine.
Yes I have used it and I don't think it's any more pretentious than using latin phrases (other than common ones like 'et cetera' and 'vice versa').

I say this in full knowledge that I still have a latin quote in my signature. Apparently it means "that which is said in latin sounds profound"
It doesn't sound pretentious in the slightest.
Reply 4
Your first example sounds stupid, but generally the word "namely" doesn't sound pretentious or silly. Not that I would know, seeing as I write in an incredibly pretentious style when I'm writing essays.
there is an important reason why you should not use the n word in essays; namely, it is a plagiarism marker; similarly the semi-colon should be avoided.
It doesn't sound right in those particular examples, but I could be wrong. (I have exam brain atm. :getmecoat:) I use the word all the time in essays and things. I don't think twice about sound pretentious because it's just a word. If it sounds right in a sentence then use it.
(edited 9 years ago)
You've used the word in the most stupid fashion imaginable. Namely does not replace for example. Namely would be used in a way such as the example given below:

This trebd has been found in many studies, namely the Oswald Report of 1997, which provided clear evidence of misdirecrion in modern preschools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the bear
there is an important reason why you should not use the n word in essays; namely, it is a plagiarism marker; similarly the semi-colon should be avoided.

PRSOM. Did you write that yourself? :ahee:
Original post by Manitude
PRSOM. Did you write that yourself? :ahee:

hehehe it is my own wurk; namely i did it orl miself.

[scrollr]:yay:[/scrollr]
Original post by Obiejess
You've used the word in the most stupid fashion imaginable. Namely does not replace for example. Namely would be used in a way such as the example given below:

This trebd has been found in many studies, namely the Oswald Report of 1997, which provided clear evidence of misdirecrion in modern preschools.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're always so aggressive, even when you're completely wrong. The OP's usage is fine.
Original post by Birkenhead
You're always so aggressive, even when you're completely wrong. The OP's usage is fine.

If you look at zee thread, I am not the only one who thinks he's used it in a rather odd fashion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually think 'for example' would have been better in the example you gave; 'namely' sounds a bit weird to me, in that construction.

OP: 'namely' should be used in situations where 'specifically' would also work. For example:

Certain fractures are seen more commonly in the elderly: namely, neck of femur and Colles' fractures.

Both the examples you gave were fine IMO.
If you look at zee thread, I am not the only one who thinks he's used it in a rather odd fashion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you're as wrong as anyone else for saying so. His use is fine.
Yes but it's pretty important you use it in the right context.
All the time, namely because I'm a pretentious little **** like that

Quick Reply

Latest