Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 now, but I'm restarting sixth form elsewhere.
    My head of year said that I should stay and finish this year anyway and get the AS grades, but I'm concerned that if I get an AS level in Psychology & RE, I won't be able to take them at the new sixth form and I want a fresh start. So, I was thinking of quitting this sixth form so I don't take the exams, but between now and September are there any options, like getting a job, or legally do I have to stay at sixth form? - I'm 17.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by faketales)
    I'm in year 12 now, but I'm restarting sixth form elsewhere.
    My head of year said that I should stay and finish this year anyway and get the AS grades, but I'm concerned that if I get an AS level in Psychology & RE, I won't be able to take them at the new sixth form and I want a fresh start. So, I was thinking of quitting this sixth form so I don't take the exams, but between now and September are there any options, like getting a job, or legally do I have to stay at sixth form? - I'm 17.
    As outlined here, https://www.gov.uk/school-attendance-absence/overview you must stay in school until the age of 16 - therefore you can go out and work! Bear in mind minimum wage for under-18 is pretty low, and so it may not hurt to stay in school... If you're concerned about not being able to take the course as you've got the AS, then I'd say you should contact your new school and check...

Otherwise, a few extra £££ sounds nice!

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure the law now is you must stay in education until you are 18. But I would say you might as well stick it out, if you are planning on starting again anyway the best job you are looking at getting is probably part time which you could do as well as college and then more so over the summer anyway. If you get good AS levels then you could carry them on at a different college as they are certainly not as strict as they make out in who they let in, particularly now you have to stay in school until 18 anyway. And then if you don't do well in them you could even start them again like you wanted or chose completely different subjects.

Trust me it would not be an issue with a new college or sixth form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.