Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    So a short summery when I finished my GCSE's I had no idea what I wanted to do at college or University, I ended up being pigeonholed by my parents into an electrics course that I disliked and gave up on after it finished.

    From there I worked for a few years in a mediocre retail job before I decided to travel to Taiwan and Japan (I had been flirting with the idea of learning a language) with some of the money I had saved. While in Taiwan I met some Leeds students that were studying Chinese there for the year but one of them was like me and did not study for A-Levels. Instead he said he went on an "Access" course and was accepted into Uni to study the language that way.

    Personally I would like to Study Chinese or Japanese language at University, with a hope of working in Translation. So just a few questions:

    1. I finished High school with GCSE C's in most important subjects (Maths, Science etc) apart from English which I received a D in, should I do a retake before I apply to Access?

    2. If I want to study Language at Uni, would I be correct in picking a humanities Access diploma?

    3. The Access website says application ends after January, but I can't find any courses on the webpage within 50 miles of my town. But my local college (Chichester) say they have access courses, anyone know why this is?

    4. Does anyone here have any personal experience with Access? would you recommend it for my situation?

    Thank you for reading and for any help/advice in advance
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    1. Yes. You can either do the English GCSE before you start an Access course or do it alongside the Access course, but you must do it.

    2. Yes.

    3. The Access course website is rubbish and out of date, if your local college says they do it then they do it.

    4. I don't, but there are a lot of people in the mature section of the forum who do have Access experience.

    I will also say that you should probably start learning a language now (it need not be Chinese or Japanese), but admissions staff like to see a demonstrated ability to learn languages.

    I'm going on to do Scandinavian Studies with swedish from an access course. The course is great but a lot of work, and I have also been learning a language in my free time for the past year to the extent that I can speak it conversationally. You can do gcse English alongside the access course but try and do a fast track language gcse or at least self teach.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.