Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently writing an essay for my business law module as well as revising for the upcoming exam. I am starting to over think here (I am actually an accounting student, so its my first time doing law), so I just want help to clarify that my ideas are correct. As I believe that this case has something to do with Acceptance of partial performance & sales of goods act since she asked for another builder for help, but can she claim parts of the previous instalments back for the work he had done, base on Sumpter v Hedges (1898)? I know that he cant claim any money from her anymore....

Ben, a builder, who agreed to convert the bookshop for £25,000. Ben agreed to start work on 1 September and said the job would take about six weeks. Clare agreed to pay Ben £5,000 on signing the contract, with the balance payable in two instalments of £10,000 due on 1 October and on completion of the work.

Ben started work on the conversion but shortly after receiving the second instalment on 1 October, he told Clare that he was currently working on too many other building projects and that he would not be able to complete the job. Clare engaged another builder who finished the work for £14,000. She wants to know if she can claim compensation from Ben and whether Ben can recover any more money from her.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.