Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Draw Muhammad Day be banned? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we ban Draw Muhammad Day?
    yes
    17.19%
    no
    82.81%

ReputationRep:
    should we reconsider our laws to protect us from the upcoming storm of reactions to "freedom of expression" warriors who want to make an example?

dont we have a duty to protect from harm first before anything else?

ReputationRep:
    We should not bow down to terrorism. We stand up proud of our freedom and we will express our freedom to show those who wish to oppress us.

The duty to protect our people should not come at the cost of our freedom of expression. They have guns? We have more.

ReputationRep:
    If you ban it, it'll make more people do it.
    Human behaviour is odd where if something is illegal we're more likely to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. If Muslims find it offensive that's their problem.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. Ironically, banning it would only demonstrate the very point of it. Freedom of expression and freedom of speech should be cherished.

Remember, the Muslims offended by depictions of Muhammad are only so because they are taught to be offended. Secondly, to react with such animosity and fury over cartoons demonstrates a high level of insecurity and spiritual feebleness. Why not roll one's eyes and wish them a pleasant time in hell, if that's where they're going? Get over it. The drawings and mockery would probably cease if this were the case.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    **** no - you don't negotiate with terrorists. you don't give them our freedom, you give them ideological humiliation, like these cartoons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    **** no - you don't negotiate with terrorists. you don't give them our freedom, you give them ideological humiliation, like these cartoons.
    Or better yet. Clamp down on our freedoms in the name of fighting terrorism :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I find 'Draw Muhammed Day' as an opportunity to goad Muslims unnecessarily. We should absolutely not have to give in freedom of speech/expression, but what gain is dedicating a day to deliberately piss off Muslims, which the majority are regular peaceful people? It's only going to make the extremist Muslims more hostile & violent.

ReputationRep:
    Jokes on Religion/Race/Sexuality should be banned, it is bullying only uneducated people and racists find it funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesuisunpoulet)
    Jokes on Religion/Race/Sexuality should be banned, it is bullying only uneducated people and racists find it funny.
    So by your logic the fact I have a degree and find sexuality jokes humorous means I must be racist

ReputationRep:
    All the world needs is for us to airdrop USB sticks on ISIS occupied areas, loaded with a few Brian Cox documentaries about the origins of the universe. The extremists will start to understand basic science, realise that the idea of some imaginary man creating the world is a load of crap and convert to atheism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    Islam should be banned.
    Banning a religion makes its members feel victimised, radicalising them and propagating acts of violence and terrorism. Banning Islam would be a terrible idea.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be banned, no - that takes away the right to freedom of expression.

I think any decent person would refrain from engaging in an action they know causes offence to a large number of people, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    It shouldn't be banned, no - that takes away the right to freedom of expression.

I think any decent person would refrain from engaging in an action they know causes offence to a large number of people, though.
    The problem isn't drawing Muhammad, the real issue is drawing him offensively. Even Muslims have been known to paint pictures of the Prophet dating back 200 years, some of these pictures were even commissioned by sultans or caliphs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Of course not. Ironically, banning it would only demonstrate the very point of it. Freedom of expression and freedom of speech should be cherished.

Remember, the Muslims offended by depictions of Muhammad are only so because they are taught to be offended. Secondly, to react with such animosity and fury over cartoons demonstrates a high level of insecurity and spiritual feebleness. Why not roll one's eyes and wish them a pleasant time in hell, if that's where they're going? Get over it. The drawings and mockery would probably cease if this were the case.
    I rarely pitch in on such matters however, freedom of speech is good but it doesnt make being offensive ok. These two things are easily confused

More importantly the muslims that advocate terrorism feel marginalised already, atagonising more muslims thus pushing then towards terrorism/ ant - west feelings seems like a bad idea

Overall it seems as if in the last through days unwarranted hatred towards muslims has become ok, turning into an attack on one group of people which judging by history never works out well

Ps. I reread what you wrote, how is hate speech = to cherishing freedom of speech ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    I rarely pitch in on such matters however, freedom of speech is good but it doesnt make being offensive ok. These two things are easily confused

More importantly the muslims that advocate terrorism feel marginalised already, atagonising more muslims thus pushing then towards terrorism/ ant - west feelings seems like a bad idea

Overall it seems as if in the last through days unwarranted hatred towards muslims has become ok, turning into an attack on one group of people which judging by history never works out well

Ps. I reread what you wrote, how is hate speech = to cherishing freedom of speech ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The individuals who carried out the attack did so because they felt it was their duty. It's their twisted ideology that's the problem here; not the mere act of illustrating cartoons. The crux of the issue is that a large number of people feel it's okay to go nuts - and become violent - in response to cartoons. Where are the riots, murders and embassy attacks when unflattering images of Christ, Buddha or L. Ron Hubbard appear? Why is it only one particular faith we have to worry about whenever religion becomes subject to ridicule?

Most depictions of Muhammad in the public sphere are drawn in protest of censorship. That's the whole reason Draw Muhammad Day got started - as a stance against censorship. Offending people this way can make people upset, yes, but it must always be allowed. Nobody has the right not to be offended, especially if what's being targeted are beliefs and ideas. Tragically, the only people being hurt for these cartoons are the victims of the revenge attacks; not the offendees. This is what's wrong, and it must stop. And it begins by upholding certain principles.

ReputationRep:
    There's a draw Muhammad day? That's sounds really stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    So by your logic the fact I have a degree and find sexuality jokes humorous means I must be racist
    I take my hat of to you, sir. :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.