Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just want to know if you English speaking people are interested in foreigners or not. Would you mind if their English being poor? Would you laugh at them when they speak? What about them will attract you more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinesegirl)
    Hi, just want to know if you English speaking people are interested in foreigners or not. Would you mind if their English being poor? Would you laugh at them when they speak? What about them will attract you more?
    Personally I love it when people speak disjointed english, it proves that the language does not completley domiante the world

ReputationRep:
    i think that being able to speak another language (even if just a little) is an amazing trait to have and I have the up most repect for bilingual peeps. I dont really like americans very much tho

ReputationRep:
    There will always be people that initially laugh at a foreigner's accent. Like myself, for example, I'll even imitate, but that's part of my sense of humour. I'll get along really well with someone who can laugh along though. I can laugh at myself, and I make friends with people who do likewise.

ReputationRep:
    i do not mind people from other countries touring England as it adds some flavour to the place!!!!!

it would be pretty boring having 100 % people with a British Nationality living in england all the time!

ReputationRep:
    In the cities Britain is very varied, foreign accents are all around you all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Anyone that can speak another language gets my respect, as we are a nation of monolinguists.
    exactly, whenever brits go abroad, we always expect the locals to speak english - not good :mad:

A good percentage of the people on my course are international students. One guy is from china and he doesnt think his english is as good as other chinese students at the uni, but he sounds fluent to me

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, that sounds interesting and encouraging. But you do have to learn a second language, don't you? In China, English is a have-to-learn subject, what do you have to learn at school? Or what foreign language do you speak?

ReputationRep:
    Ummm, that sounds interesting and encouraging. But you do have to learn a second language, don't you? In China, English is a have-to-learn subject, what do you have to learn at school? Or what foreign language do you speak?
    At my school you have to have two years of a foreign language to qualify for honors graduate. I took two years of spanish. The thing that I don't like about people with accents or disjointed english is that they are hard to understand.

ReputationRep:
    I like how Claudio Ranieri speaks

ReputationRep:
    Well for one thing I tend to encourage those who try and learn a new language because it's not easy!! Those who speak bad english are just learning, so I just try and help them with english grammer!!! Laughing is cruel and uncalled for!! I only hope for the same curtisy when I speak mandarin... Because as stated on an earlier post(I don't like americans)! Not all will have patients!!

ReputationRep:
    if you are talking about chinese people talking disjointed english, I probably wouldn't mind.

I guess I would talk to them in chinese,
    using 3 dialects
    In Cantonese: Gong dong wa, gok yi, chiew joww wa
    In Mandarin: guong dong hua, guo yi/ han yu, ciao jou
    i wont go into ciao jou
    which one are u Chinesegirl?

ni jiang shen me zhong wen?

ReputationRep:
    I like foreigners. They really make me laugh when they try and speak English but they make excellent chawallas. Every home should have one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mun)
    if you are talking about chinese people talking disjointed english, I probably wouldn't mind.

I guess I would talk to them in chinese,
    using 3 dialects
    In Cantonese: Gong dong wa, gok yi, chiew joww wa
    In Mandarin: guong dong hua, guo yi/ han yu, ciao jou
    i wont go into ciao jou
    which one are u Chinesegirl?

ni jiang shen me zhong wen?
    Interesting. Are you a Chinese? BBC? You seem in Australia now, no?
    I speak Mandarine, I'm from Northeast of China

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I like foreigners. They really make me laugh when they try and speak English but they make excellent chawallas. Every home should have one.
    what is "chawalla"?

ReputationRep:
    what is "chawalla"?
    Somebody that makes tea. It's an Indian word.

ReputationRep:
    We ( in the Czech republic )have to learn two languages at school...
    english and another one, mostly french or german....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    We ( in the Czech republic )have to learn two languages at school...
    english and another one, mostly french or german....
    How is Praha? I love that city!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Somebody that makes tea. It's an Indian word.
    Ah indian tea - miss it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Ah indian tea - miss it now
    Have you been to India?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.