Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you registered to vote? Will you? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you registered to vote?
    Yes!
    81.25%
    No and I don't plan to
    18.75%
    Not yet but I will be registering
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Only 44% of 18-24 year olds voted in the last General Election.

Have you registered to vote or will you be doing so before the election?

The media claim that the election lies in the hands of the student voters this time around so will you be participating?

Anyone out there want to register but not sure how?

Here's a good link to take you through it: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter

ReputationRep:
    Always get my polling card through the front door so I must be registered :lol:

I will be voting in the general election. Please vote, even if you spoil the ballot. Stay at home and the only message the establishment get is that you are apathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I registered last night will be voting for green party

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Always get my polling card through the front door so I must be registered :lol:

I will be voting in the general election. Please vote, even if you spoil the ballot. Stay at home and the only message the establishment get is that you are apathetic.
    Make sure you are still registered. You're generally asked to confirm it every year and this time around, there is a move from household registration to individual voter registration.

From the experience in my house, I've got very confused over the individual voter registration too. Both me and my wife have had at least three letters each, with several more addressed to the 'occupier' saying we need to register, made all the more confusing as half the instructions were blanked out, saying certain registration options were not yet operative. I think we've registered at least twice, but since we've received additional letters after each time we have registered telling us we still need to, I'm really not sure what is going on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Make sure you are still registered. You're generally asked to confirm it every year and this time around, there is a move from household registration to individual voter registration.

From the experience in my house, I've got very confused over the individual voter registration too. Both me and my wife have had at least three letters each, with several more addressed to the 'occupier' saying we need to register, made all the more confusing as half the instructions were blanked out, saying certain registration options were not yet operative. I think we've registered at least twice, but since we've received additional letters after each time we have registered telling us we still need to, I'm really not sure what is going on...
    They make it so confusing. I'll see if I'm registered to vote though, better safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Only 44% of 18-24 year olds voted in the last General Election.

Have you registered to vote or will you be doing so before the election?

The media claim that the election lies in the hands of the student voters this time around so will you be participating?

Anyone out there want to register but not sure how?

Here's a good link to take you through it: http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter
    I want to vote; although, can't yet

ReputationRep:
    Registered. How can I complain about the actions of those who represent me if I didn't have a say in their election by voting/spoiling my ballot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kitty-meaw)
    I want to vote; although, can't yet
    Because you're not the right age?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Because you're not the right age?
    Yes, you have to be 18 to apply.

ReputationRep:
    While I would love to vote, I cannot vote for the party I support, so I feel my vote would be wasted regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Registered. How can I complain about the actions of those who represent me if I didn't have a say in their election by voting/spoiling my ballot?
    Because it doesn't make any difference

ReputationRep:
    Yes and yes. Have done so since turning 18 and have voted in everything from the general elections to local police commissioner. How can you complain about things if you don't bother going to vote?

Im on our local council and am always reading people complaining about decisions we make etc on Facebook and yet none of them actually bother to come along to the meeting we held to debate the issue in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    No I will not be voting. I believe the system is inherently flawed to only serve the elite and whoever, out of the options available, get into power will not make any difference whatsoever. If UKIP or the Green Party get into power, because of the flaws in the system, nothing would change. This is why it is the norm to see politicians drift between parties because true values do not matter. All they are interested in is protecting number one and ensuring that they remain a part of the system as opposed to becoming an outsider.

The only thing I'll support is a revolution.

(Original post by Reue)
    Yes and yes. Have done so since turning 18 and have voted in everything from the general elections to local police commissioner. How can you complain about things if you don't bother going to vote?
    1. Why should I participate in a system I don't believe in?
    2. Why should I vote for an option when I believe it will deliver no real change?

People who don't vote for the options available have as much right to complain as those who do vote. Just because some are disillusioned with the state of politics in a country to the extent whereby they do not even wish to vote, it does not mean they have no right to complain.

In fact, people like Russell Brand who complains regularly and does not vote has got more people talking about issues than many of those who just conform, tick a box and then return home thinking they've served a purpose. I'm a firm believer that those who do vote are sheep being led to polling stations by politicians only serving their own interests. To me, voting is the easy option and one taken by those who are often disillusioned with the system themselves but are too afraid to break free of the system out of fear of another party being in control. To me, there is no difference with Labour, the Conservatives, UKIP, the Green Party or the Liberal Democrats in power. If anyone truly believes that any of those parties in power would invoke real change and improve the lives of those at the bottom for the better overall they're deluded.

They serve themselves and the very small percentile of the rich elite. To me voting is me showing my approval of the system and one of the parties in it. That is a wasted vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Das Auto)
    People who don't vote for the options available have as much right to complain as those who do vote.
    Not when they don't vote, complain.. and then do nothing productive. If you don't like the options available then put yourself forward for election. I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Not when they don't vote, complain.. and then do nothing productive. If you don't like the options available then put yourself forward for election. I have.
    So you're suggesting you have to provide the solution to identify the initial problem? No, that is illogical. Many people identify problems only for the solutions to be presented or formed by others. That has happened throughout history time and time again in different areas from technology to politics. You couldn't be more wrong. I am well within my rights, just like any other person who is disillusioned with the current system, to complain and identify the problems of that system, without having to provide the solution to those problems. There is a difference between identifying problems and solving problems.

It is great that you've put yourself forward for election but you have done that within the system as it currently stands. How is that showing discontent with the system? You are becoming part of the system. Again, I stated the only thing I would support is a revolution and completely changing and overhauling the system. I do not believe the system can be revolutionised from within because it is full of people who are only intent on serving themselves and the elite, like a niche club of people protecting their own interests.

If anything, we have more reason to complain than those who do vote.

ReputationRep:
    How is that showing discontent with the system? You are becoming part of the system. Again, I stated the only thing I would support is a revolution and completely changing and overhauling the system.
    I didn't say that I was discontented with the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I didn't say that I was discontented with the system.
    You said that people who do not vote do not have a right to complain. This is wrong. In fact, we have more right to complain. We have a right to complain about the system, the people that make up that system and people who continuously vote like sheep to keep that system going.

ReputationRep:
    You said that people who do not vote do not have a right to complain. This is wrong. In fact, we have more right to complain. We have a right to complain about the system, the people that make up that system and people who continuously vote like sheep to keep that system going.
    Ok, great. Well best of luck with the non-voting. Infact I'll actively support it in your case as I suspect if you had voted it would have been against the way I'd vote

Makes it all the more easier for the capitalist pigs such as myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Ok, great. Well best of luck with the non-voting. Infact I'll actively support it in your case as I suspect if you had voted it would have been against the way I'd vote

Makes it all the more easier for the capitalist pigs such as myself
    It doesn't matter who you vote for. You will get the same capitalist supporting elitist government regardless. They do not wish to serve you but to serve the economic elite. That is why big corporations get tax reliefs whereas people like yourself would be put behind bars if you decided you weren't going to pay tax.

People who vote are just sheep showing their support for a system and the politicians in power that show nothing more than utter contempt for the average person like you and I. If you honestly think the likes of Cameron, Miliband, Clegg, Farage or Bennett have the interests of the common person at heart then my God I am lost for words. They, like the vast majority of politicians, are only interested in serving themselves and the richest percentile that will happily fund them to keep them in power. It's all an act to make it seem as if your vote matters when really it doesn't.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.