Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi everyone. I'm graduating from Royal Holloway soon, MSci in physics. I'm on track for a first, and that's what I'm working on achieving. I want to get into finance, but I'm concerned that I'll struggle given that A) I didn't do any internships in the field and B) Royal Holloway isn't exactly a "big name" (although I should mention it has a rather highly rated physics department, but nobody knows that so it may as well not!).

Given these two issues, is it worth doing an MSc in Finance to better my chances? On top of this, given how expensive these masters are, and the fact I came from a "crap" university, I'm looking at the top unis for my MSc. Firstly, would it really help to do a masters after my MSci in physics, and what are my chances of getting admitted? I really want to work/live abroad at some point in my future, I don't want to just live in London for the rest of my life. I know MSc's are more valued abroad due to differing attitudes towards education, so that is also making me consider an MSc.

I got A*AA at A-level (I know it might sound stupid to include this here but I do know that A-levels still matter when it comes to a graduate getting a job). A* in maths, A's in physics and chemistry.

I feel like I'd be cut out for it, I've done stats as part of my degree and I'm generally quite good as maths (although nothing special).

So I guess my two questions are: Do I need to do a masters, that is to say would I struggle coming from RHUL to get into finance? And what are my chances of getting onto a top masters course given that I'll have an MSci in physics, first class (hopefully!), but it'll be from Royal Holloway?

Actually, one last question, is Financial engineering worthwhile in exploring over straight Finance? I can program in C++ and python, and I'm working on LHC simulation as my final year project, but I'm not sure if programming is the life I want. I thought about going down the Quant path, but I'm worried about specializing too early, and I'm worried about whether I'll struggle to get a job.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice offered. The whole "life after university" thing is making my life Hell at the moment! I don't know what to do!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.