Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Throwing in the towel watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I have almost completed my first semester in my first year after embarking on a degree in International Politics and Conflict studies. I started off with such good momentum and spent alot of time in the library, determined to impressed myself.
    But about halfway through I realised that no matter how hard I was working and how strict my routine was, I was always a bit behind and I found that I was bored alot of the time. Every time I caught myself doing something other than studying, I would feel guilty, and every time I studied, I felt like I was wasting my time. So after I handed in my coursework, I didn't do any work (apart from going to lectures and taking notes) and so far, I still haven't regained motivation.
    That's when I started questioning why I came to uni to start off with... and what I will get from a degree anyway.
    I came back early from Christmas Holidays to do a spot of revision before the exams but so far I have done less than a half hour of half assed note reading after being back for 2 days so far. I have lost all momentum and I am considering leaving uni and was wondering if this was part and parcel of being at university? does everyone get this sort of whiplash effect? and how do you pick yourself up?
    and advice much appreciated.
    Thanks,

A bewildered student

ReputationRep:
    I know your feeling, last year I work solid and got really stressed. This year since starting year 2, I lacked motivation and it is hard to crack. Keep going it's worth it. A couple of hours revising is better than none and don't over work yourself. Do your best but give yourself down time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same i lacked all motivation because I don't like the course but at the same time don't know what career path i should take or what else i'd like to study. I would like to say stick with it (thats what everyone says) but i'm half way through my second year and have hated every minute.. so not sure i could honestly sit and tell you that it'll get better. Uni isn't for everyone but theres just so much pressure these days to stick with uni and get a degree so who knows! I doubt this helps in any way ha but sometimes its just good to talk to someone in the same boat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true that. I'm not even sure trees something for everyone. But the pressure makes everything harder.. the worst can be from your parents! And you feel pretty lost. I admit I did what I thought I should do, not what I really wanted to do as a passion, because I though that doing a degree would make you hate your favourite subject.. But in actual fact it seems that you need to be passionate about your subject enough to get you through the **** times I suppose one way around it is to get motivated and speak to someone about careers. If you have an end goal then it makes life easier. If you aren't enjoying it now, then chances are you won't enjoy a job in it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the pressure is too much sometimes. Ahh yeah i only really went to uni because it was expected not because i was passionate about anything.. if you have a passion i would say you're really lucky & i woild do something involving it because it'll make you happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I can't remember actually deciding to go, I just was part of education haha ! I'm considering jumping ship, as opposed to turning the ship around if you catch the metaphor. Just do a different degree. But uni is a good experience whatever degree you surface with and if you don't know what you want to do, you can always go travelling or something and you might bump into something that you want to do for the rest of your life whether it requires a degree or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Baseline mild depression. Apathy. You need to view your core beliefs values, and check that your goals reflect those. There is no pint studying if you don't value studying or a degree.

ReputationRep:
    You are lucky in that you are in your first year and if I am right, as long as you pass you are through with no detrimental effect to your overall degree classification at the end (or very little.) You go to lectures. You take notes. You hand in coursework. Trust me, there are plenty of students right now after their first semester that have not managed that!
    I think where you might be struggling is knowing exactly what and how to work on. If you have impending exams, get hold of all the past papers for each of your modules. With some, you may be able to identify patterns in what is asked (or if you are really lucky the same question(s) every year if the lecturer is lazy!) Get revising what has come up previously first!
    If you are enjoying uni socially, I think this is just a blip to ride out (the fact you claimed you were 'behind' even when you studied hard shows deep down you are conscientious.)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.