Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

US Master degree after a 3-year UK Bachelor? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that in order to study a Masters in the US you need to have completed a FOUR year bachelors, since the bachelor degrees there have a length of four years. However, I also remember reading somewhere (at the site of some graduate school in the US) that they accept a THREE year HONOURS degree from the UK instead of a four year degree somewhere else. It this correct, or would I have to take a prep course before getting into the masters degree if I come from a UK uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boyski33)
    I have heard that in order to study a Masters in the US you need to have completed a FOUR year bachelors, since the bachelor degrees there have a length of four years. However, I also remember reading somewhere (at the site of some graduate school in the US) that they accept a THREE year HONOURS degree from the UK instead of a four year degree somewhere else. It this correct, or would I have to take a prep course before getting into the masters degree if I come from a UK uni?

If you've done a three year UK honours degree you should be fine. There are a few countries that the U.S. doesn't accept three year degrees from for PhD admissions (namely India), but generally speaking the UK is not one of them. However, an ordinary degree, I.e. without honours, or a Scottish three-year degree, without the honours year, will not be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick follow up. If I enroll in an honours degree, is it possible to not receive honours at the end of my studies? For instance, if I have a low GPA, or something like that. Or does the "honours" in the title of the degree means that I COULD earn honours if I EXCEED expectations? I'm not completely familiar with that matter...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if you get below the marks needed for third class, but still pass, you get an ordinary degree, without honours.
    Sometimes there will be special circumstances where you'd get an ordinary degree, e.g. you were supposed to do a dissertation but didn't.

But in any case, if you get a 2:2 or below you won't meet the departmental GPA requirements for most graduate programs so it becomes a moot point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.