cant tell the difference between trigonometry and pythagoras theorem! help!

Watch
Autumndream
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! Okay i know this is going to sound stupid but i know how to do trigonometry and pythagoras theorem but when it gets put in the question i can never remember which is which, so my question is does anyone have a way that i could try to remember how to tell them apart? Thank you!
steph0468
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Autumndream)
Hi! Okay i know this is going to sound stupid but i know how to do trigonometry and pythagoras theorem but when it gets put in the question i can never remember which is which, so my question is does anyone have a way that i could try to remember how to tell them apart? Thank you!
pythagoras is purely for finding ANOTHER SIDE in a right angled triangle. Trigonometry (sin cos and tan in the sohcahtoa rule) is if you want to find either the angle or a side of a right angled triangle. Look at the question and what you are given. If you are given an angle and a side, it's trig. If you are given 2 sides then it's pythagoras. The question should make it clear
steph0468
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://catman3000.hubpages.com/hub/P...our-math-exams

this page explains everything clearly
Autumndream
Rep:
?
Thank you!!!
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you know the lengths of two sides in a right angled triangle and want to know the length of the third side it's Pythagoras.
Autumndream
Rep:
?
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.93%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (55)
27.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (38)
18.91%

Watched Threads