Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who of you have parents that smoke and are worried about the damage its doing them? My mum has smoked since she was about 14 and has been smoking about 30 cigarettes a day since then, shes now 42 which means she been smoking for almost 30 years. Ive noticed that her health is deteriating quite badly, I can regularly hear her coughing and the other day she managed to wake me up in the middle of the night because of the coughing..obviously I dont wish anything bad on my mum but I realise now that she is getting to the age where some smokers start experiencing real problems(emphysema) and I kind of feel that its inevitable now. Sometimes I find myself thinking about just how much longer shes going to go without having some SERIOUS smoking related illness.

Anyone else in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    Mum- She started smoking when she went to live in France as a teen. Smoked for 25 odd years and then stopped one day. No patches. Just will power. She's a strong woman.

Dad- Started smoking when he was 12. :eek: Apparently it was "normal" where he grew up. Anyways, after several attempts to quit...he is still smoking He has ZERO will power ...odd match my parents

ReputationRep:
    neither of my parents smoke, but my grandparents did. my grandma had emphasema (but i was only about 8 when she died, and we were just told it was like my asthma, it's only years later i realised what it actually was) + it really frustrates me that i can only remember her as an ill old lady... i'm not quite sure how this is constructive, i think i'm just trying to say that watching someone with an illness like that is absalutely devastating and because i've seen that i know i won't smoke (i have occasionally, but only when v drunk + upset and someone's just given me a cigarette)... have you tried talking to your mum? your gp should have smoking ceasation consulatayions (usually with a nurse) and these can really help + your mum would get all the best advice on how to stop.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Mum- She started smoking when she went to live in France as a teen. Smoked for 25 odd years and then stopped one day. No patches. Just will power. She's a strong woman.

Dad- Started smoking when he was 12. :eek: Apparently it was "normal" where he grew up. Anyways, after several attempts to quit...he is still smoking He has ZERO will power ...odd match my parents
    And, hows your dad? No midnight coughing fits? My mums actually been coughing for the last 5 minutes now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    lol, that's like my dad- he went away for business in his early 30s and knew he wouldn't be able to smoke in the buildings (it was a power plant) and he had a long train journey there and back and he didn't have enough cigarettes anyway. so before he got on the train he threw away the few he had left and never bought any again.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    ...Sorry must add...The doctor makes dad blow in one of those inhaler thingy-ma-bobs...anyways apparently his lungs are as healthy as a 20yr old :confused: The doctor was confuzzled, asked whether dad really smoked (dad smokes at least 20 a day)

ReputationRep:
    Apparently my dad smoked for a few years before I was born, but he stopped (on christmas day) and I am glad of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    neither of my parents smoke, but my grandparents did. my grandma had emphasema (but i was only about 8 when she died, and we were just told it was like my asthma, it's only years later i realised what it actually was) + it really frustrates me that i can only remember her as an ill old lady... i'm not quite sure how this is constructive, i think i'm just trying to say that watching someone with an illness like that is absalutely devastating and because i've seen that i know i won't smoke (i have occasionally, but only when v drunk + upset and someone's just given me a cigarette)... have you tried talking to your mum? your gp should have smoking ceasation consulatayions (usually with a nurse) and these can really help + your mum would get all the best advice on how to stop.

lou xxx
    Ive realised now shes never going to stop, shes had a few half hearted attempts at stopping(a few hours without a cigarette) and after seeing her without one for a few hours its plainly obvious that shes going to be smoking till the day she dies(which I fear may come way too soon)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    And, hows your dad? No midnight coughing fits? My mums actually been coughing for the last 5 minutes now
    No, touch wood he has been fine- However, when mum was giving up (over 6years ago or so) for the first month she coughed a lot- think it was just getting all the shite out or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    No, touch wood he has been fine- However, when mum was giving up (over 6years ago or so) for the first month she coughed a lot- think it was just getting all the shite out or something?
    yeah- apparently when you 1st give up most people get chest infections (ironic really). and put on weight (but that's cos they fidget and don't know what to do with their hands so eat)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    yeah- apparently when you 1st give up most people get chest infections (ironic really). and put on weight (but that's cos they fidget and don't know what to do with their hands so eat)

lou xxx
    Putting on abit of weight is alot better than smoking a cigarette though..

ReputationRep:
    Putting on abit of weight is alot better than smoking a cigarette though..
    yeh of course it is (although supermodels etc. seem to disagree :rolleyes:). oh and apparently some people get the runs when they give up (probably cos they're eating crap)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    My mum started smoking from the age of around 15 to piss off her mum (who is satan), and has smoked since then...she's had a shitload of problems. it happens very gradually but very suddenly. We have a nebuliser here at home on permenant loan from the hospital due to them having her come in 4 times last summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    My mum started smoking from the age of around 15 to piss off her mum (who is satan), and has smoked since then...she's had a shitload of problems. it happens very gradually but very suddenly. We have a nebuliser here at home on permenant loan from the hospital due to them having her come in 4 times last summer
    So she still smokes?

ReputationRep:
    Ive realised now shes never going to stop, shes had a few half hearted attempts at stopping(a few hours without a cigarette) and after seeing her without one for a few hours its plainly obvious that shes going to be smoking till the day she dies(which I fear may come way too soon)
    My mum gave up loads of times, I smoke myself but not in the house anymore.
    Anyway when she'd "given up" i'd find she'd gone into my handbag and smoked half my ****ing cigarettes.

So dad went out and bought her a packet threw it at her and said, go on then have another. He always says that when she has her coughing fits.

ReputationRep:
    My mum has never smoked, but my Dad has for, like, ever. He stopped once when I was a kid, but then started again in secret and I'll never forget how betrayed I felt when I first saw him do it.

He "quit" about 4/5 years ago, but has actually been doing it again secretly for at least the last 3. Everyone in our family knows, but he still acts like we don't. I'm happy for it to stay this way because it means he can't smoke in the house and make the whole place smell.

ReputationRep:
    Still smoking 30+ a day and still blaming it on me saying I smoke more.

her catchphrase is, in a really pretentious, hyacinth bucket voice "I don't inhale you know!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Still smoking 30+ a day and still blaming it on me saying I smoke more.

her catchphrase is, in a really pretentious, hyacinth bucket voice "I don't inhale you know!"
    So, after seeing the problems its causing your mum why do you still smoke?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my family smokes except me. Some are in the process of 'quitting' but still having some. Even my 14 yo cousin (lad) smokes, and pot and he gets pissed. I don't smoke anything because its disgusting and very sad, a waste of many resources. I used to get pissed when I was 13 but I was never as ****ed as he is (all the time). So when I see him out, he gets a beating and dragged home. He will learn...

ReputationRep:
    So, after seeing the problems its causing your mum why do you still smoke?
    I know, I know I get lectured about it all the time. I don't know, when I started the smoking wasn't the issue. She's also an alcoholic. And it was a way of relieving tension. I know I'm addicted. I'd like to stop for moneys sake. But the ironic thing was that since I started smoking, my asthma cleared up. The 6 months I quit once, It came back with a vengance and after i started smoking again it was gone...

I think I don't breathe properly or something

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.