Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Title.

Admittedly, I hadn't done anywhere near enough revision, so I couldn't have honestly expected better but what I had done didn't seem to be effective at all. Oh and there's also the problem in me making a mess of things that were relatively simple.

Nevertheless, how do you revise for A-Level Maths?

I think it's time I got it together as I don't see my way of studying leading to success, and If I continue at this rate, I'm more than definitely going to underachieve.

So I suppose I'm going to have to reinvent and rewire my method of working and understanding, because I appreciate that it is inefficient and a half effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MindArchitect)
    Title.

Admittedly, I hadn't done anywhere near enough revision, so I couldn't have honestly expected better but what I had done didn't seem to be effective at all. Oh and there's also the problem in me making a mess of things that were relatively simple.

I think it's time I got it together as I don't see my way of studying leading to success, and If I continue at this rate, I'm more than definitely going to underachieve.

So I suppose I'm going to have to reinvent and rewire my method of working and understanding, because I appreciate that it is inefficient and a half effort.

I revise using m4ths.com's Alevel videos, theyre quite long so not for last minute revision but theyre really good
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Title.

Do as many past papers as you can and compare your solutions with the officiaL mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    Title.

1. Ensure you fully understand every topic as you study it in class. Ask teachers or class mates for help if you need it. Actually look at your text book, it should have many worked examples to clarify the topic. Use web sites such examsolutions for alternative explanations. NEVER tell yourself you will sort something out later when you do your revision.

2. Do loads of practice as you learn each topic. Do everything set by your teacher and do more of the exercises if you find a topic difficult. If your text book has chapter or topic review exercises do every question.

3. You shouldn't need a revision guide for maths as your text book really should have adequate review sections for each chapter. If you feel you might benefit from one, then state your examiner and ask here for suggestions. There are some good ones for edexcel AS and the CGP one is ok.

4. A big problem for many students is that they can't connect what they have learnt and understood in class with how the examiners word their questions. For revision, do as many past papers as you can lay your hands on. Mark them using the mark scheme and then sort out what you couldn't do or got wrong. If your examiner is Edexcel, Examsolutions has worked answers to most past papers. Keep a log of formulae or methods you regularly forget and of mistakes you are prone to making. Think about things you could do to check your answers as you work (e.g. Simple things like adding up to check a subtraction, multiplying to check a divide, expanding to check a factorisation, putting solutions back into original functions to check they work). Start early because there are loads of papers. If you are on edexcel think about using the gold/silver/bronze collections to increase your efficiency.

5. When you are regularly getting 80+ UMS on papers, come back and ask for advice on how to stretch yourself and prepare for unusual questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 10, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.