Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys question in title really, do you think someone who scraped an A* ie it wasn't a comfortable A* would be able to manage the D1/S3 course?

Replies much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    Hi guys question in title really, do you think someone who scraped an A* ie it wasn't a comfortable A* would be able to manage the D1/S3 course?

Replies much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You could do D1 successfully with a B in GCSE maths. S3 is a bit more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on a number of factors really. I only just got an A* at GCSE but ended up getting 100 in S3 and 80 something in D1. D1 is easy but you need to practice the algorithms in order to secure top marks I never really found it engaging though.

I would say most likely you are capable of it.

FP2 is harder than S3 in my opinion and you would need to do that to get the a-level in FM but it is also more interesting.

If you have an interest in maths and are thinking about maths or similar at uni then I'd say go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how the modules work?? I don't really get it and what's the easiest module combination for A level FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can someone explain how the modules work?? I don't really get it and what's the easiest module combination for A level FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You take 6 modules for maths and 6 modules for FM. They are equally weighted.

Maths has to contain C1, C2, C3, C4 and two others (only certain combinations are permissible).

FM has to contain FP1 and at least one of FP2 / FP3 plus four others.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Easiest combination is probably C1-4, FP1-2, D1-2, S1-2, M1-2. The applied and further pure modules get harder 3 onwards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.