Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, i just had one of the worst days of my life and i found out that i failed maths for a third time. Unlike the first and second time, i really worked hard and still failed. I missed out on 4 marks to get a grade c, the closest I have come to getting a grade C. Prior to taking this exam, I got and D and E, but i really felt that I was gonna pass this time round. I honestly feel really down and disappointed with myself as i should have got that C. The next re-take is in June, do you think i have a good chance passing? I need some advice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Johnny 17)
    Hi guys, i just had one of the worst days of my life and i found out that i failed maths for a third time. Unlike the first and second time, i really worked hard and still failed. I missed out on 4 marks to get a grade c, the closest I have come to getting a grade C. Prior to taking this exam, I got and D and E, but i really felt that I was gonna pass this time round. I honestly feel really down and disappointed with myself as i should have got that C. The next re-take is in June, do you think i have a good chance passing? I need some advice.
    Pretty dodgy behaviour by your school - Results Day is tomorrow!

It sounds like you are making good progress towards your goal. You should be pretty confident of success in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    I know its hard but you should take things cool Its is not the end of the world. I know some people at my sixthform who are resitting and some have done it more than 3 times. You should not lose hope or give up but be realistic and not pessimistic.

ReputationRep:
    <br>
    I know its hard but you should take things cool. Its is not the end of the world. I know some people at my sixthform who are resitting and some have done it more than 3 times. You should not lose hope or give up but be realistic and not pessimistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    I know its hard but you should take things cool Its is not the end of the world. I know some people at my sixthform who are resitting and some have done it more than 3 times. You should not lose hope or give up but be realistic and not pessimistic.
    what exam board are you all with?

ReputationRep:
    Winners are too busy to be sad,
    too positive to be doubtful,
    too optimistic to be fearful,
    and too determined to be defeated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by An_xox)
    what exam board are you all with?
    My secondary school do maths with Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    My secondary school do maths with Edexcel.

well I'm with the WJEC and I'm getting my results tomorrow i know the boundaries for my exam as they were released today and i want a B which is 84 marks but i don't think I'm going to get it

ReputationRep:
    well I'm with the WJEC and I'm getting my results tomorrow i know the boundaries for my exam as they were released today and i want a B which is 84 marks but i don't think I'm going to get it
    Since you want/ are aiming for a B i am assuming you already have your C grade which is a good thing as i know a couple of people who do not. Getting a C is like 30% so a B would be like 40-45%. Anyway stressing is not going to do anyone any favour as there is nothing much you can do. Last year a B was like 95 marks if i am correct from Edexcel. I know that there are times were revision is not enough but seriously most of the time revision does pay off. The good thing about this whole thing is that you can resit if you are not happy with your grade.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Since you want/ are aiming for a B i am assuming you already have your C grade which is a good thing as i know a couple of people who do not. Getting a C is like 30% so a B would be like 40-45%. Anyway stressing is not going to do anyone any favour as there is nothing much you can do. Last year a B was like 95 marks if i am correct from Edexcel. I know that there are times were revision is not enough but seriously most of the time revision does pay off. The good thing about this whole thing is that you can resit if you are not happy with your grade.

Good luck
    thankyou i actually don't have any maths grade yet as its my first time doing it i will be extremely happy to even get a c as i know many people try a couple of times to get it but i need a B as i want to be a teacher and go to uni in 2 years
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I need a B as i want to be a teacher and go to uni in 2 years
    (Sadly) the minimum grade for teaching is a C.

Edit: B in Wales for Primary teaching is correct.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth do you expect yourself to pass with this attitude? Maths is all about practice so say if you dont get that grade C i suggest you do one past paper a week and mark it. Also you should use Mathswatch(online maths titurial) or get the CD if you have not already. Getting a GCSE in maths is crucial as it will enable you to further your education etc. Most of all you should take every bit of help you are given for example at my school we had boosters to help us achieve our grade and plus for me i had a sibling who was good at maths and that helped me since Circle theorems always messed me up. To sum this all up get someone to help you or self teach yourself some stuff as your teacher may not be able to cover everything between now and June. Your best bet will be hiring a maths tutor.

ReputationRep:
    yeah as i live in wales i have to have a B as i want to be a primary teacher so fingers crossed i will get it in the summer if not tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys, German 123 in particular. I am starting to feel upbeat and ready to go again. Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou i actually don't have any maths grade yet as its my first time doing it i will be extremely happy to even get a c as i know many people try a couple of times to get it but i need a B as i want to be a teacher and go to uni in 2 years
    Well the good thing thing about what you said is that you only need a C grade as a minimum requirement unless you want to be a maths teacher which i am assuming you dont. C is the benchmark.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys, German 123 in particular. I am starting to feel upbeat and ready to go again. Thanks a lot.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    yeah as i live in wales i have to have a B as i want to be a primary teacher so fingers crossed i will get it in the summer if not tomorrow
    I thought to be a teacher you only need a C grade as the minimum requirement? Is that different in Wales or are they pushing/changing the maths requirement?

ReputationRep:
    I thought to be a teacher you only need a C grade as the minimum requirement? Is that different in Wales or are they pushing/changing the maths requirement?

its different in wales it has just recently change in the last 3 years to try and improve young childrens maths skills
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not if you train in England!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Not if you train in England!
    i don't really want to leave wales as my nan hasn't been well for the last few years and my brother is older and isn't very well and won't be ok for at least a few years

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.