Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm looking for information to decide in which universities to apply. I would be very grateful if you could tell me about your experiences in this university.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Felicia.L,

I'm Chris and while I don't study the course, I am a part of the media school and one of my current housemates actually studies Computer Animation Arts! We both started last September and she is really enjoying it so far! In particular Bournemouth's animation courses are some of the strongest offerings from the whole university (which is why the entry requirements are so high). Bournemouth Uni is the home to the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA).

If you haven't already, have a look at the BU/NCCA webpage here; http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/ - you can check out past students work and get more info about industry links and our animation courses.

The animation course at BU is part of our award winning media school, which has a great reputation and loads of connections to industry experts. You will undertake a 40 week placement year after two years of study in the media school, this will really enhance your CV while offering you an insight into industry! Being a part of the media school is great because lots of guest speakers come in!

My housemate was very busy the second week into the Freshers Fortnight as she became involved in BU/NCCA's annual BFX Festival, which all students can attend. You should also check out the BFX site here; http://www.bfxfestival.com/.

Sorry if you already knew any of that I got a bit carried away!!!

Life at BU is great, the student union offers loads of societies, including animation, the Harry Potter society and the murder mystery society! If you are into sports, SportBU offers a wide range of sports classes and clubs including zumba and even ultimate frisbee! Also the library is huge and covers so many aspects of each course that BU offers, it will become your new best friend! BU encourages student to get involved as much as possible! We have a large volunteering network - which employers love!

My personal experience at Bournemouth has been great so far, I started last September and everybody is really nice! The tutors and lecturers in particular are really kind and do care about you and how you are settling into uni life! There are also several loyal student support services, such as AskBU (where you can go and ask them anything - no matter how silly the question might seem - and they will get you the best answer possible). I have also been housed with similar, like-minded people to me and i'm sure we will all be friends for many years!

Speaking of accommodation, BU offers some accommodation on Talbot campus (which is where most of the learning happens) but offers much nicer accommodation on the Lansdowne campus (which is very close to the town centre). Uni buses run every 10 minutes between the two campuses which is really helpful! Also there is a safe bike route connecting the two campuses.

Again if this applies to you, the Nightlife in Bournemouth is great especially if you are based on the Lansdowne campus. The student nightclub is really popular as is Dylan's bar which is a pub/restaurant ran by the student union on the Talbot campus!

Sorry if you already knew any of this and that it turned out to be such a long reply! If there is anything else you wanted to know feel free to ask me!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the information! I didn't really know many of those things you said so it was very useful

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm Brian

I've applied to study Animation Arts at Bournemouth and got an interview for February 11! I'm a little nervous and I was wondering if you could ask your housemate for any advice - for instance what to expect at the interview like common questions, what to wear, what to bring, how she presented her portfolio and for her experience on the course so far?

Thanks

All the best,

-Brian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felicia.L)
    Thank you very much for the information! I didn't really know many of those things you said so it was very useful
    Hey Felicia.L,

That's okay glad to have helped! Is there anything else you wanted to know?

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brian.insua)
    Hi I'm Brian

I've applied to study Animation Arts at Bournemouth and got an interview for February 11! I'm a little nervous and I was wondering if you could ask your housemate for any advice - for instance what to expect at the interview like common questions, what to wear, what to bring, how she presented her portfolio and for her experience on the course so far?

Thanks

All the best,

-Brian
    Hi Brian

I will find out about common questions and get back to you! Your portfolio should be presented professionally, make sure that nothing is going to fall out and obviously make sure that you best works are the key focal points of the portfolio. Try and show off as much range and experience as possible!

In terms of clothing you should always go to interviews in a smart suit, I absolutely hate wearing suits but it gives off the best impression and people often take you more seriously!

So far she has been working very very hard! She is often going out to the uni labs which are open until midnight on weeknights. For her going to the labs is a social activity as she gets together with some friends and they share snacks etc.

She has lots of lectures and seminars, but always has Thursday off, which she really enjoys. She has had a few problems with programming but her PAL leader has helped her identify where she is going wrong. (PAL = peer assisted learning, a second year student will help you with coursework/revision techniques).

I hope this has helped and I will get back to you with interview tips!

Thanks

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Hi Chris

Thanks for all your help! I've had one mock interview with my head of sixth and it went quite well Although he asked me very general questions, he said that he could tell I was very passionate but was a little worried I was a little too modest and that I might undersell myself. So I guess I have to work on being more confident

Thanks for the portfolio tips too! I will definitely make sure that my portfolio shows off my photography, life drawing and animation skills

The insight you gave me into the course and what entails is most helpful. Thanks again Chris! I look forward to your reply

All the best,

-Brian

ReputationRep:
    Hello brian, i am going to apply for computer animation arts next year and come from an art background but am a little confused in what to include in my portfolio and how the interview process went like what was on the maths and logic test and is the life drawing hard, also, what was your experience like on the interview day and what to wear. Any info would be extremely helpfull thank you

Kind regards
    Rahul

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rahul

That's great that you come from an art background - based on my experiences, Bournemouth look for strong art skills (one of the guys I made friends with on the Animation Interview Day was not offered a place despite having a strong 3D animation portfolio because he didn't have enough drawings and the drawings he did have were rushed and consequently not up to their standard [they told him to go and do an art foundation year before reapplying]).

Personally, I brought a dozen or so of my best life drawings showing a range of different skills and presented them in an A3 portfolio folder. My interviewer chose to focus on my life drawings and we spent a good five minutes or so just talking about them. I'm big on photography and so I brought my A-level photography books and that really peaked her interest and we talked a lot about them. I also brought some 3D work - she chose to focus on a Minecraft character I modelled, rigged and textured. She was interested to know my experience in creating it and offered some constructive criticism on the rigging of the character.

My advice for you: Bring work that defines you - work that you can talk about or work that interests you or even work that isn't your best but taught you things through the experience of making it. Put your best foot forward but also show development.

The interview itself lasted about half an hour or so and was quite informal. They just want to find out what kind of person you are and whether you'd be a snug fit to be an animation student at the Bournemouth. In terms of some of the questions, I was asked why I wanted to go to Bournemouth so I would suggest practicing what to say to that. I was also asked about any artists who inspire me so some research into that would be beneficial. (Side note - prepare some questions to ask your interviewer [Personally, I asked about the details and process of the placement year - which led to an in-depth discussion - plus it shows your interested])

The Maths test was primarily GCSE Maths so hop onto BBC Bitesize and browse the Maths topics on there - in particular, focus on the trigonometry and algebra topics. The Logic test was pretty tough :P It focused on some complicated sequences and your understanding of complex circumstances/situations/problems - I'm afraid I can't point you to any resources for that :/ Finally, the Life Drawing test was a series of quick poses on pencil so best practice some quick poses.

The interview day itself was awesome Made some new friends, met some current students and had an opportunity to ask them questions and just chat in general whilst waiting for my interview - I even got to have a one-on-one chat with one of the current 3rd year students - Jack - he was awesome - so friendly and extremely helpful.

In terms of attire, I emailed the admissions tutor (his name is Ben Ellis if you want to get in touch with him) about it and he said wear what you feel comfortable in. I suggest smart casual - DO NOT wear a suit - animation is not that kind of industry.

I wish you the best of luck for your application

All the best,

-Brian

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rahul

That's great that you come from an art background - based on my experiences, Bournemouth look for strong art skills (one of the guys I made friends with on the Animation Interview Day was not offered a place despite having a strong 3D animation portfolio because he didn't have enough drawings and the drawings he did have were rushed and consequently not up to their standard [they told him to go and do an art foundation year before reapplying]).

Personally, I brought a dozen or so of my best life drawings showing a range of different skills and presented them in an A3 portfolio folder. My interviewer chose to focus on my life drawings and we spent a good five minutes or so just talking about them. I'm big on photography and so I brought my A-level photography books and that really peaked her interest and we talked a lot about them. I also brought some 3D work - she chose to focus on a Minecraft character I modelled, rigged and textured. She was interested to know my experience in creating it and offered some constructive criticism on the rigging of the character.

My advice for you: Bring work that defines you - work that you can talk about or work that interests you or even work that isn't your best but taught you things through the experience of making it. Put your best foot forward but also show development.

The interview itself lasted about half an hour or so and was quite informal. They just want to find out what kind of person you are and whether you'd be a snug fit to be an animation student at the Bournemouth. In terms of some of the questions, I was asked why I wanted to go to Bournemouth so I would suggest practicing what to say to that. I was also asked about any artists who inspire me so some research into that would be beneficial. (Side note - prepare some questions to ask your interviewer [Personally, I asked about the details and process of the placement year - which led to an in-depth discussion - plus it shows your interested])

The Maths test was primarily GCSE Maths so hop onto BBC Bitesize and browse the Maths topics on there - in particular, focus on the trigonometry and algebra topics. The Logic test was pretty tough :P It focused on some complicated sequences and your understanding of complex circumstances/situations/problems - I'm afraid I can't point you to any resources for that :/ Finally, the Life Drawing test was a series of quick poses on pencil so best practice some quick poses.

The interview day itself was awesome Made some new friends, met some current students and had an opportunity to ask them questions and just chat in general whilst waiting for my interview - I even got to have a one-on-one chat with one of the current 3rd year students - Jack - he was awesome - so friendly and extremely helpful.

In terms of attire, I emailed the admissions tutor (his name is Ben Ellis if you want to get in touch with him) about it and he said wear what you feel comfortable in. I suggest smart casual - DO NOT wear a suit - animation is not that kind of industry.

I wish you the best of luck for your application

All the best,

-Brian
    i have an interview to Bournemouth later this month, this was so useful, thankyou! Do I need a strong understanding of the software and examples of 3d animation? I have a bit of 2d but only in the last month or so have I had the laptop and software to try 3d. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of life drawing, I'm revising maths and I'm trying to prepare for the logic. But worried about my portfolio though.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ceebz

I'm glad you found my previous post helpful - I know how difficult it is to find information :P

In regards to your question, if you are applying to Computer Animation Arts at Bournemouth then, from my experiences as well as some of the other applicants I met on the Animation Interview Day, a strong understanding of Autodesk Maya would be very beneficial but the emphasis is more on your portfolio - in particular, your life drawing portfolio. Based on my experiences and the experiences of the other guys, it seems that they look for strong art skills and artistic knowledge over expertise in Maya. The same advice applies if your applying for Computer Visualisation and Animation as well.

Well done for giving it a go but my advice would be to not put too much emphasis on it - by all means make some stuff and animate some stuff and bring that to your interview - but focus on your life drawing skills and portfolio. It's great that you have some 2D work you could show and you should absolutely bring that - I know that one of the current 3rd years I spoke to had a lot of stop-motion in his portfolio. According to him, they were more interested in his creativity, vision and artistic skills over what medium he had used.

For your portfolio, bring your best Life Drawings - and practice, practice, practice before your interview! You will be judged heavily on this so focus on it. I can send you a link to my portfolio if you'd like to have a look

Let me know if you need any more help

Good luck!

All the best,

-Brian

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ceebz

I'm glad you found my previous post helpful - I know how difficult it is to find information :P

In regards to your question, if you are applying to Computer Animation Arts at Bournemouth then, from my experiences as well as some of the other applicants I met on the Animation Interview Day, a strong understanding of Autodesk Maya would be very beneficial but the emphasis is more on your portfolio - in particular, your life drawing portfolio. Based on my experiences and the experiences of the other guys, it seems that they look for strong art skills and artistic knowledge over expertise in Maya. The same advice applies if your applying for Computer Visualisation and Animation as well.

Well done for giving it a go but my advice would be to not put too much emphasis on it - by all means make some stuff and animate some stuff and bring that to your interview - but focus on your life drawing skills and portfolio. It's great that you have some 2D work you could show and you should absolutely bring that - I know that one of the current 3rd years I spoke to had a lot of stop-motion in his portfolio. According to him, they were more interested in his creativity, vision and artistic skills over what medium he had used.

For your portfolio, bring your best Life Drawings - and practice, practice, practice before your interview! You will be judged heavily on this so focus on it. I can send you a link to my portfolio if you'd like to have a look

Let me know if you need any more help

Good luck!

All the best,

-Brian
    Thankyou so much, I feel loads better. My creativity is probably my strongest point so that makes me feel so much better. I'm having a very panicky night thinking about uni and stuff. Seeing your portfolio would be really helpful thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ceebz

Happy to help

Don't panic - use the pressure and stress as fuel/motivation to succeed You've got to be better than everyone else so make sure you present the absolute best work you can show them and be the most interested, enthusiastic and passionate version of you (without overdoing it, of course)

My portfolio website isn't finished but I'll PM you the link anyway so you can have a look

Good luck!

All the best,

-Brian

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ceebz

Happy to help

Don't panic - use the pressure and stress as fuel/motivation to succeed You've got to be better than everyone else so make sure you present the absolute best work you can show them and be the most interested, enthusiastic and passionate version of you (without overdoing it, of course)

My portfolio website isn't finished but I'll PM you the link anyway so you can have a look

Good luck!

All the best,

-Brian
    Hi Brian, I'm looking to apply for Bournemouth this year and have found all your previous posts really helpful!

Would it be possible for me to also have a look at your portfolio website just to get a good understanding of the things they're looking for?
    Also I know a decent understanding of programmes such as Maya are really useful. If you cant afford the full package (also i highly doubt my computer would be able to run it) are there any other programmes you recommend? I know things like Cinema 4D is useful but are there any others?

Thanks,
    Sam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamDBarnes)
    Hi Brian, I'm looking to apply for Bournemouth this year and have found all your previous posts really helpful!

Would it be possible for me to also have a look at your portfolio website just to get a good understanding of the things they're looking for?
    Also I know a decent understanding of programmes such as Maya are really useful. If you cant afford the full package (also i highly doubt my computer would be able to run it) are there any other programmes you recommend? I know things like Cinema 4D is useful but are there any others?

Thanks,
    Sam
    Hi Sam,

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on here in a while :P Thanks for the positive response to my previous posts

Now, down to business, your choice of university: Awesome! Bournemouth is an amazing university - I'm a first year student on the CVA course And I am absolutely loving it so far

With regards to my portfolio website, I'd be happy to private message you the link to my website Like I said in previous posts, your portfolio should show YOUR best work - play to your strengths! Depending on which course you're applying for, you should show a range of work. I applied to CVA so I had a mix of photography, life drawings and some animation work

For Maya, there's a free educational version that you can get from the Autodesk Education - which is super useful and a definite if you're thinking of applying here 3D Animation programmes all do the same things so it doesn't really matter which one you learn but we use Maya at BU so I highly recommend you get one foot through the door and learn Maya

Hope this helps

-Brian

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CBowditch)
    Hi there Felicia.L,

I'm Chris and while I don't study the course, I am a part of the media school and one of my current housemates actually studies Computer Animation Arts! We both started last September and she is really enjoying it so far! In particular Bournemouth's animation courses are some of the strongest offerings from the whole university (which is why the entry requirements are so high). Bournemouth Uni is the home to the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA).

If you haven't already, have a look at the BU/NCCA webpage here; http://ncca.bournemouth.ac.uk/ - you can check out past students work and get more info about industry links and our animation courses.

The animation course at BU is part of our award winning media school, which has a great reputation and loads of connections to industry experts. You will undertake a 40 week placement year after two years of study in the media school, this will really enhance your CV while offering you an insight into industry! Being a part of the media school is great because lots of guest speakers come in!

My housemate was very busy the second week into the Freshers Fortnight as she became involved in BU/NCCA's annual BFX Festival, which all students can attend. You should also check out the BFX site here; http://www.bfxfestival.com/.

Sorry if you already knew any of that I got a bit carried away!!!

Life at BU is great, the student union offers loads of societies, including animation, the Harry Potter society and the murder mystery society! If you are into sports, SportBU offers a wide range of sports classes and clubs including zumba and even ultimate frisbee! Also the library is huge and covers so many aspects of each course that BU offers, it will become your new best friend! BU encourages student to get involved as much as possible! We have a large volunteering network - which employers love!

My personal experience at Bournemouth has been great so far, I started last September and everybody is really nice! The tutors and lecturers in particular are really kind and do care about you and how you are settling into uni life! There are also several loyal student support services, such as AskBU (where you can go and ask them anything - no matter how silly the question might seem - and they will get you the best answer possible). I have also been housed with similar, like-minded people to me and i'm sure we will all be friends for many years!

Speaking of accommodation, BU offers some accommodation on Talbot campus (which is where most of the learning happens) but offers much nicer accommodation on the Lansdowne campus (which is very close to the town centre). Uni buses run every 10 minutes between the two campuses which is really helpful! Also there is a safe bike route connecting the two campuses.

Again if this applies to you, the Nightlife in Bournemouth is great especially if you are based on the Lansdowne campus. The student nightclub is really popular as is Dylan's bar which is a pub/restaurant ran by the student union on the Talbot campus!

Sorry if you already knew any of this and that it turned out to be such a long reply! If there is anything else you wanted to know feel free to ask me!

Chris
    I am thinking to apply for Computer visual animation next year this info its grat! thanks

ReputationRep:
    I havent done any 3D modelling before, should I try it an add it to my portafolio? Any software recomnded?
    Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ximena Roldan)
    I havent done any 3D modelling before, should I try it an add it to my portafolio? Any software recomnded?
    Thanks!
    Hello,

Someone else asked a question the other day about what to put in their portfolio, so I'll share the same information with you and anyone else who could do with some help.

You should show a keen interest in areas of moving image, animation and visual effects. Your portfolio should include, but not be limited to:

- Observational studies in any medium. This could include still life, environments (interior, exterior, architectural studies, perspective studies), lighting studies, colour studies, anatomy studies

- Sketchbook and works demonstrating self-motivated study and research. We need to see work that you have done outside of your studies and courses, and can discuss with keen interest and enthusiasm

- Life drawing

- The portfolio should display an appropriate application of detail. Adding detail to artwork should not be at the expense of strong form and structure (i.e. there's no point having an exquisitely detailed face if the eyes are in the wrong place!)

- Work that demonstrates creativity and proficiency in composition, form, structure, colour and design, in both 2D or 3D. For example character design, environment design, illustration, graphic design, product design, media design, photography, sculpture

- You can also bring a showreel of moving image work if you wish (but this is not essential).

I hope that helps you, it's tough to know where to start! Is there anything else you'd like to know?

Katie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ximena Roldan)
    Thanks!
    Hi Ximena

It's great to hear that you're applying to CVA It's challenging and a lot of hard work (typically other courses have about 16 hours of lectures and seminars a week whereas we get 25-27 hours a week) but you're gonna love it! I certainly do

As I said previously, your portfolio should focus on your strengths - for instance, I had life drawings, photography and a 3D modelled and rigged Minecraft character in mine I also had a website so that they could see my work whenever they wanted/needed to (despite not being amazing at life drawing or 3D work, I think I got in because of my determination and passion so if you can make a website, that'll look great but it's not necessary - it'll just make you stand out).

I think you should absolutely have a go at modelling things in 3D - and if you make something you're really proud of or had an challenging experience trying to model something, I would bring that too - because it becomes a talking point for you and your interviewer

We use Maya here at the NCCA so I would suggest heading over to the Autodesk Education website and downloading a free copy

Make sure that your portfolio shows off the best version of you and the best of what you can do!

Quality over Quantity!

Good luck!

All the best,

Brian

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bournemouth University)
    Hello,

Someone else asked a question the other day about what to put in their portfolio, so I'll share the same information with you and anyone else who could do with some help.

You should show a keen interest in areas of moving image, animation and visual effects. Your portfolio should include, but not be limited to:

- Observational studies in any medium. This could include still life, environments (interior, exterior, architectural studies, perspective studies), lighting studies, colour studies, anatomy studies

- Sketchbook and works demonstrating self-motivated study and research. We need to see work that you have done outside of your studies and courses, and can discuss with keen interest and enthusiasm

- Life drawing

- The portfolio should display an appropriate application of detail. Adding detail to artwork should not be at the expense of strong form and structure (i.e. there's no point having an exquisitely detailed face if the eyes are in the wrong place!)

- Work that demonstrates creativity and proficiency in composition, form, structure, colour and design, in both 2D or 3D. For example character design, environment design, illustration, graphic design, product design, media design, photography, sculpture

- You can also bring a showreel of moving image work if you wish (but this is not essential).

I hope that helps you, it's tough to know where to start! Is there anything else you'd like to know?

Katie
    thanks! i will start to prepare my portafolio very soon!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.