Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am international student and I am interested in applying in one of the wrote above courses (I think it doesn't matter if I don't concretize because the entry requirements probably are the same).
    However I send a message to the university to ask them for the requirements and they told me that they want BBB. But I am really confused because this university is ranked at 11 place in thecompleteuniversityguide league table.I think there is something wrong because the requirements are too low. Am I right ? And is it worth to apply if I got BBB (I mean what is the chance to receive an offer) ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes your rights its ranked 11th place overall, but for Computer Science its ranked 33rd. It said that on the Subject table performance thing on the website.
    As the course itself, you will probably get an offer, because it’s the most boring, mind numbing, and overly priced Computer Science course in the UK.
    So it kinda makes me question the legitimacy of their overall ranking.....

ReputationRep:
    Yes your rights its ranked 11th place overall, but for Computer Science its ranked 33rd. Its saids that on the Subject table performance thing on the website.
    As for the course itself, you will propbaly get an offer, because its the most boring, mind numbing, and overally priced Computer Science course in the UK.
    So it kinda makes me question the legitimacy of their overall ranking.....

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply. Could you explain me why do you think that this course is boring. I mean what is the difference between this course and another courses related with comp science/ soft eng. My other 4 choices are Aberystwyth; Stirling; Edinburgh Napier; Royal Holloway. Isn't Lancaster better than my other choices.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Dimitar, I'm a 2nd year student at Lancaster studying Computer Science (Masters with Industrial Experience)

My offer (2 years ago) was ABB, but they let people who get BBB in because the applicant numbers are down from a few years ago.

As for the course, it's pretty good. It's not boring (No idea what Fgh23wqer thinks that). In first year, we had modules on Introduction to programming - If you are already proficient this might be slightly dull as we start from scratch (literally!!) and then move onto C and Java, doing an intro to the core concepts of OO along the way.
    We also do Discrete maths (which I liked), and forms an important basis for 2nd year with things like Set Theory, and then also we study Databases (a bit) and learn some MySQL, as well as some lower-level architectural stuff focusing on MIPS and other key concepts (binary, hex, ect)

Second year has more programming, databases, networking, HCI and much more.

The campus is gorgeous, so nice to work at, the facilities are top-tier and the location is fine (if not a bit windy!)

All in all, I made an excellent decision to come to Lancaster. Looking forward to (potentially) seeing you next year

-- Harry

And yes, Lancaster is significantly better than Aberystwyth; Stirling; Edinburgh Napier; Royal Holloway and has a really good reputation with people in industry across the country, and is ranked in the top 100 unis in the world as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! Your reply was very helpful for me.If they send me an offer i think it's going to be my first choice.Could you tell me are there any opportunities for part time jobs in Lancaster.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.