How do you react to your family not knowing much about fitness? Watch

Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For example, I have been advised by my dad today that banana and cranberry sandwiches might be good fuel for a workout-as far as I know, this is pure sugar. My mum also thinks this is 'healthy'.

They also do not understand that you need to lift more than once a week, to make decent gains.

Basically, I'm the only fitness buff in the family, and it sucks. Mum actually calls it my 'food thing' (yes that is code for eating disorder). How did you get around it-assuming you still live at home? (Or when you visit)

Lift from p. 2:
To put my dietary issues in context, this is the current stash of Christmas sweets we have left to go through, between myself and my dad. I estimate this will take us until Easter, when we accumulate MORE chocolate :face palm:

Entries bolded are my personal chocolates

2 shortbread tins (1kg)
1 biscuit tin (1kg)
1 Quality Street tub (800g apx.)
1 Haribo tub (800g apx.)

2 boxes of chocolate truffles
1 box of Celebrations
1 box of Lint
2 boxes of cherry chocolate (edit: 1 box, in 3 days I have gone through this, totalled apx. 500cal each so nothing really but in context)
1 Christmas pudding
1 Christmas cake (800g)
1 Thorntons chocolate Santa (250g so not a big issue)
Extra thick clotted cream

On top of this Dad has bought
Custard
Squidgee malt loaf
Mince pies
Jam/marmalade
hermitthefrog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't take any notice of my parents because I'm a grown up capable of making my own decisions?

To be fair to them I agree that sandwhich sounds like good workout fuel. I quite often eat banana on toast before working out. Am I doing it wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by hermitthefrog)
I don't take any notice of my parents because I'm a grown up capable of making my own decisions?

To be fair to them I agree that sandwhich sounds like good workout fuel. I quite often eat banana on toast before working out. Am I doing it wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
drm it doesn't have much protein and apparently I am being anal about protein
iamu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
drm it doesn't have much protein and apparently I am being anal about protein
You don't need protein before a workout. They're right.

but in regards to question, i deadlift and that means i have impressive fighting skills so i just fight them when they sprout their nonsense
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I call my eating disorder "my food thing" purely because my siblings can't accept that eating disorders/mental illnesses are real. When they comment on my relationship with nutrition/fitness I just say "I don't want to end up like mum when I'm older and be in and out of hospital every other month" and they go quiet. It's not the real reason to explain why I do what I do, but it's a reason that gets them to shut up.

If you have any ill family/cousins whose illnesses can be fixed/improved by a better lifestyle then use them to justify what you're doing. Or just openly talk about things like constipation and say that you have it really bad which is why you have to eat well. If they get disgusted by that stuff they'll stop there and not take it further. I've used the constipation thing. It makes food shopping with them so much easier because I pretend I'm looking at the fibre content of foods when I'm actually comparing macros/calories.

If you don't want to lie to them then don't react when they talk about that kind of stuff. Either ignore it or brush it off somehow. My siblings make ignorant comments about food all the time and I've learnt to ignore it because they're only saying it to sound like they know things - they don't say it because they genuinely think that they're right.
dohdaws
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't worry about it... if fitness is your thing then do it and get on with it! It sounds like you're family is supportive and there's loads of fitness advice around

Posted from TSR Mobile
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You've just posted a near exact replica of yesterdays thread
TornadoGR4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
For example, I have been advised by my dad today that banana and cranberry sandwiches might be good fuel for a workout-as far as I know, this is pure sugar. My mum also thinks this is 'healthy'.

They also do not understand that you need to lift more than once a week, to make decent gains.

Basically, I'm the only fitness buff in the family, and it sucks. Mum actually calls it my 'food thing' (yes that is code for eating disorder). How did you get around it-assuming you still live at home? (Or when you visit)
Fitness buff seems like an overstatement.

Having seen a few of your threads, it's quite clear you don't have a firm grasp on reality. Be an adult. Show them you're not a kid.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My parents dont allow me gym protein shakes as it will get me cancer apparently:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
J_T_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by elhm1800)
My parents dont allow me gym protein shakes as it will get me cancer apparently:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then tell them not to drink milk as well because whey is extracted from it.
CatnipGlows
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're an adult, make your own decisions.

If they don't understand your way of doing things, then just accept that they won't understand. If you don't want to take their advice, carry on doing it your own way anyways.
taeyangie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by elhm1800)

Posted from TSR Mobile
My dad doesn't let me either because apparently it's "not natural"
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J_T_)
Then tell them not to drink milk as well because whey is extracted from it.
lol no milk from now on

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Trying to explain the concept of bulking and cutting to your parent is one of the most futile conversations/debates you'll ever have. Typically goes something like this:

"You should stop following all these new fad diets."
"It's a concept that's been around since before you were born mum. It's been the done thing by bodybuilders for decades."
"Well... you don't need those muscle shakes, they're no good for you, nothing but chemicals that force your body to grow unnaturally..." (she said they contain "steroids" once)
"Mum, they're a food supplement, they're just food extracts. They're not magic."
"Why don't you just eat food then?"
"Cheaper. Easier to keep the calories up. More convenient."
"It isn't cheaper..."
"Per gram of protein, yes, penny for penny it's one of the cheapest sources you can get. I've done the maths".
"Well, you don't need to keep eating protein anyway."

I normally change the subject at around this point. In fact, I actively avoid all kinds of "fitness" conversation in general with my mum. She's also of the "Yes you CAN spot reduce fat/get abs by doing situps" train of thought, and just can't quite grasp the whole calories in vs calories out for weight loss thing. Oh, and you mustn't count calories or you'll eventually develop an eating disorder
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
Oh, and you mustn't count calories or you'll eventually develop an eating disorder
Haha, I regularly have similar conversations.

It feels like you can't do things to improve your body without being accused of being somehow abnormal!
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
Haha, I regularly have similar conversations.

It feels like you can't do things to improve your body without being accused of being somehow abnormal!
Honestly, because it is abnormal in this day and age. 2/3rds of British adults (those 16+) are overweight, including 25% obese. We barely have a majority of adults meeting their minimum physical activity recommendations, and the methods used to measure that data is very dodgy! May well be less than what we think it is.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Honestly, because it is abnormal in this day and age. 2/3rds of British adults (those 16+) are overweight, including 25% obese. We barely have a majority of adults meeting their minimum physical activity recommendations, and the methods used to measure that data is very dodgy! May well be less than what we think it is.
Theres a primary school just down the road from uni, I walked past it a few months ago

It was unreal, the number of obese kids

Jaw dropping

WHho knows what the parents look like!
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
Trying to explain the concept of bulking and cutting to your parent is one of the most futile conversations/debates you'll ever have. Typically goes something like this:

"You should stop following all these new fad diets."
"It's a concept that's been around since before you were born mum. It's been the done thing by bodybuilders for decades."
"Well... you don't need those muscle shakes, they're no good for you, nothing but chemicals that force your body to grow unnaturally..." (she said they contain "steroids" once)
"Mum, they're a food supplement, they're just food extracts. They're not magic."
"Why don't you just eat food then?"
"Cheaper. Easier to keep the calories up. More convenient."
"It isn't cheaper..."
"Per gram of protein, yes, penny for penny it's one of the cheapest sources you can get. I've done the maths".
"Well, you don't need to keep eating protein anyway."

I normally change the subject at around this point. In fact, I actively avoid all kinds of "fitness" conversation in general with my mum. She's also of the "Yes you CAN spot reduce fat/get abs by doing situps" train of thought, and just can't quite grasp the whole calories in vs calories out for weight loss thing. Oh, and you mustn't count calories or you'll eventually develop an eating disorder
**** bulking mate, Dad thinks a banana and jam butty is high protein and a quarter a can of beans with mince pies is a wholesome diet for grown men
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatnipGlows)
You're an adult, make your own decisions.

If they don't understand your way of doing things, then just accept that they won't understand. If you don't want to take their advice, carry on doing it your own way anyways.
Changed your name?

Psychologically it must be apparent by now that I am not an adult
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
True! I get told constantly I'm too thin, when in actual fact I still have plenty of flab, and a BMI mid way into the 'healthy' section. I could lose 2 stone and still be a healthy BMI (although I don't plan to). Just because I'm thinner than most doesn't mean I'm too thin. Yet when I was 20 stone nobody said a thing! Now THAT was unhealthy!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads