The Student Room Group

OXBRIDGE REJECTS! What university are you going to go to now?

What college and course were you unsuccessful in receiving an offer from and what offers do you hold currently?
What university do you hope to be going to now?

Name:
Predicted Grades:
Unsuccessful College and Course:
Offers held currently:
Ideal University:

Scroll to see replies

Oooh I'm first and 4 days late!

Name: hippoposthumous
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A (AS UMS scores were 99, 98, 96, 96 & 92 for Maths, F. Maths, Phys, Chem & Bio)
Unsuccessful College and Course: PhysNatSci at Fitzwilliam, Cambridge
Offers held currently: York, UCL, Exeter and Southampton
Ideal University: York or UCL maybe, not sure
:s-smilie: possibly Southampton too
Name: Damien_Dalgaard
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*
Offers held currently: The University of Durham
Ideal University: Oxford University

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
gnathaniel1:
Predicted grades: 4A*
Unsuccessful college: Gonville and Caius, Modern and medieval languages
Offers held currently: UCL, Durham
Ideal university: Edinburgh (am I making the right choice)?
Reply 4
Original post by hippoposthumous
Oooh I'm first and 4 days late!

Name: hippoposthumous
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A (AS UMS scores were 99, 98, 96, 96 & 92 for Maths, F. Maths, Phys, Chem & Bio)
Unsuccessful College and Course: PhysNatSci at Fitzwilliam, Cambridge
Offers held currently: York, UCL, Exeter and Southampton
Ideal University: York or UCL maybe, not sure
:s-smilie: possibly Southampton too

Holy crap those UMS are amazing. I'm really surprised you didn't get in with that, commiserations.
Original post by TVIO
Holy crap those UMS are amazing. I'm really surprised you didn't get in with that, commiserations.

My mate was at Cambridge, and he got 100% in maths and physics and was 3 marks off 100% with further maths.
He said that 100% were quite common.
Reply 6
Finally I found the perfect thread!
Reply 7
Name: Bishoy
predicted grades: A*A*AA (one A is already achieved)
unsuccessful for: Engineering@ Sidney Sussex, Cambridge
Offers I hold:
Southampton - MEng in Aeronautics&Astronautics, a semester in industry
Surrey- AeroSpace engineering with a year in industry
Sheffield- Aerospace engineering with a year in industry
Ideal Uni: Imperial College (if I ever hear from them..) if not the Southampton
Original post by TVIO

Thanks, I haven't had the feedback yet but I think it's safe to assume that I didn't impress them at interview!
Name: Gnathaniel1
predicted grades:A*A*A*A* (A* already achieved in maths)
unsuccessful for: MML (portuguese and russian) Cambridge at Gonville and Caius UMS: (Russian 95%, Maths 98%, Classics 88%, Physics 91% Ancient History 96%)..... awkward thing is... MML has an acceptance rate of 49%....not sure how disastrous my interview was.... I thought it went ok)
Offers I hold:
Bristol and UCL
Ideal Uni: Edinburgh (unless it's worth reapplying?... I dunno)
Reply 10
Name: nhtw
Unsuccessful College and Course: Engineering at University College Oxford
Offers held currently: Manchester AAA, UCL AAA, Bath AAA
Ideal University: If I don't get an offer from Imperial I'm going to consider reapplying, I don't want to go to a uni where I don't have to push myself to get in. If anyone's been in this situation I would really appreciate some advice.
Reply 11
Original post by nhtw
Name: nhtw
Unsuccessful College and Course: Engineering at University College Oxford
Offers held currently: Manchester AAA, UCL AAA, Bath AAA
Ideal University: If I don't get an offer from Imperial I'm going to consider reapplying, I don't want to go to a uni where I don't have to push myself to get in. If anyone's been in this situation I would really appreciate some advice.

Commiserations on your application this year; I totally understand your feelings about needing to push yourself. After striving and striving all through school, what's the point of coasting into university rather than pushing on to the 'next level up' again right? This is exactly the position I was in last year. I had several good offers but I knew what I'd really wanted; I think to an extent if you are that kind of person you won't rest until you really feel you've exhausted every option to get what you want. To be fair I was already planning a gap year, and there is the very real possibility that reapplying could yield the same result, however if you really feel you could have done better I would recommend trying again. I'm now very glad I did. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by AdamY
Commiserations on your application this year; I totally understand your feelings about needing to push yourself. After striving and striving all through school, what's the point of coasting into university rather than pushing on to the 'next level up' again right? This is exactly the position I was in last year. I had several good offers but I knew what I'd really wanted; I think to an extent if you are that kind of person you won't rest until you really feel you've exhausted every option to get what you want. To be fair I was already planning a gap year, and there is the very real possibility that reapplying could yield the same result, however if you really feel you could have done better I would recommend trying again. I'm now very glad I did. :smile:

Hey thanks for replying. Yeah that's pretty much exactly how i feel haha, nice to know someone with a similar thought process :smile:. May I ask which subject you are studying and what final grades did you get for your A levels? They must have been pretty high for a re-application to Oxbridge. Also how did you find having to write another Personal Statement? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to be as informed as I can be before making a decision. Thanks.
Name: whatacrydonnie
Predicted grades: 4a*
Unsuccessful college and course: Biological Natural Sciences at Christ's, Cambridge
Offers currently held: A*AA UCL, A*AA Bath, AAB Surrey
Ideal university: Cambridge or Imperial but I was rejected from both :'( absolutely messed up the Imperial interview, I'm so annoyed at myself :angry: I don't really want to go to any of my current offers, so I might apply to Imperial via UCAS Extra. Fingers crossed they give me an offer...
Reply 14
Original post by nhtw
Hey thanks for replying. Yeah that's pretty much exactly how i feel haha, nice to know someone with a similar thought process :smile:. May I ask which subject you are studying and what final grades did you get for your A levels? They must have been pretty high for a re-application to Oxbridge. Also how did you find having to write another Personal Statement? Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to be as informed as I can be before making a decision. Thanks.

Glad to know I'm not crazy as well! I will be studying English; final grades were A* A* A A in English Lit, Geography, Gov/Pol and Drama respectively. I found the PS was fine - I expected to struggle to make it different, but you change so much during a year and also read and learn so many new things that you'll have plenty to write about. Just make sure that you use the time wisely if you do decide to reapply - don't find yourself approaching the end of August and suddenly realising that you're no further advanced than you were the same time the previous year. You can gain so much knowledge during this time without the pressures of doing school work at the same time; find some specific areas within your subject which interest you and delve into them.
(edited 9 years ago)
name: Luceflower
predicted grades: 5A*
Unsuccessful university, college and course: Oxford; applied to Brasenose, pooled to LMH for interview; History
Offers currently held: Durham, Bristol York, currently waiting on UCL
Ideal University: depending on how A levels go I'm really keen on reapplying, maybe Cambridge next time around (I think I'd need a fresh start when doing the whole Oxbridge thing again). I'm going to see Durham and if I'm honest it's the only one of my offers that I'm even a bit interested in - I've had my heart set on Oxbridge (well, Oxford) for years, plus I want to go into academia as a career - I can't think of a better place to study History than within the Oxbridge tutorial system (not to mention the history of the universities themselves).
Still absolutely gutted even after a few weeks since getting rejected. If anyone's feeling the same feel free to reply, it would be nice to hear from others in the same situation!
Original post by Luceflower
name: Luceflower
predicted grades: 5A*
Unsuccessful university, college and course: Oxford; applied to Brasenose, pooled to LMH for interview; History
Offers currently held: Durham, Bristol York, currently waiting on UCL
Ideal University: depending on how A levels go I'm really keen on reapplying, maybe Cambridge next time around (I think I'd need a fresh start when doing the whole Oxbridge thing again). I'm going to see Durham and if I'm honest it's the only one of my offers that I'm even a bit interested in - I've had my heart set on Oxbridge (well, Oxford) for years, plus I want to go into academia as a career - I can't think of a better place to study History than within the Oxbridge tutorial system (not to mention the history of the universities themselves).
Still absolutely gutted even after a few weeks since getting rejected. If anyone's feeling the same feel free to reply, it would be nice to hear from others in the same situation!

I feel the same as you!! I got rejected from Peterhouse, Cambridge for History, with a 95.8% UMS average in my top 3. They must have really hated me at interview! :/
What makes it worse is that everyone at my college (including my teachers) thought I was an absolute dead cert to get in, so I just felt so disgustingly humiliated and ashamed :frown:
I feel exactly the same as you.. I keep trying to convince myself that Manchester and King's are great unis, and I know they are, but meh, it's not Oxbridge! I had my heart set on it for years and it still feels like such a blow :frown: :frown:

Hope you're okay :smile: Feel free to pm me, it seems as if we are in a similar position xx
Original post by subjunctivehistorian
I feel the same as you!! I got rejected from Peterhouse, Cambridge for History, with a 95.8% UMS average in my top 3. They must have really hated me at interview! :/
What makes it worse is that everyone at my college (including my teachers) thought I was an absolute dead cert to get in, so I just felt so disgustingly humiliated and ashamed :frown:
I feel exactly the same as you.. I keep trying to convince myself that Manchester and King's are great unis, and I know they are, but meh, it's not Oxbridge! I had my heart set on it for years and it still feels like such a blow :frown: :frown:

Hope you're okay :smile: Feel free to pm me, it seems as if we are in a similar position xx

Seems like we are in exactly the same position! I didn't feel like my interview went amazingly nor badly...I suppose looking at threads you could be forgiven for thinking if you felt you completely flunked it then you probably got an offer 9sweeping statement I know). I will definitely pm you, it's nice that someone else is on the same page!!
xx
Original post by Luceflower
Seems like we are in exactly the same position! I didn't feel like my interview went amazingly nor badly...I suppose looking at threads you could be forgiven for thinking if you felt you completely flunked it then you probably got an offer 9sweeping statement I know). I will definitely pm you, it's nice that someone else is on the same page!!
xx

Yeah I feel the same... like, it was kinda okay but I don't really know what they were looking for so :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by subjunctivehistorian

Haha I think anyone whos on this thread is probably in that boat. Very able, high expectations from ourselves and those around us, probably our first major failure after a history of academic success which makes the fall all the worse.
Personally, I never took the idea of not making it in seriously which I know seems very naive and arrogant but I really believed I had the qualifying abilities. So the rejection really did hit me hard. It felt like somebody I'd known since childhood had died. This dream of making it into oxbridge ripped away from beneath my feet. It left me questioning whether I was ever good enough, was I fooling myself all these years? I've since spent countless minutes trying to find something to blame for my failure. What would have happened had this gone differently, had I chosen a different college, if the interview had been on a different day. But all for nothing. It is what it is. This makes no ****ing sense

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending