Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into research in diseases and just illnesses to try and find the cures. I just really want to help people though.

I'm applying to my school for sixth form and I can only do 4 A-levels but A-level maths is compulsory so I only have 3 choices and after talking to my teacher I'm going to choose Biology, Chemistry and either Further Maths or Physics and I was wondering which is more relevant to what I want to do?
    BTW I could also pick PE, Product Design, French, Business Studies, English and maybe Computer Science since I think my school is going to add it (Instead of the options I'm picking).

ReputationRep:
    Maths, biology and chemistry which you seem fairly firm on taking are good. Why will the school only let you do four? Most are fine with people taking five, at least at first to try them out.
    If you have to do four: For your interests it doesn't matter which one of the two you take and they are very similar subjects. Do your prefer maths or physics? If you prefer one over the other, pick that one. Further maths is harder if that influences your decision.

I can't comment on your other potential choices as I don't take them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VuDoomer)
    I want to go into research in diseases and just illnesses to try and find the cures. I just really want to help people though.

I'm applying to my school for sixth form and I can only do 4 A-levels but A-level maths is compulsory so I only have 3 choices and after talking to my teacher I'm going to choose Biology, Chemistry and either Further Maths or Physics and I was wondering which is more relevant to what I want to do?
    BTW I could also pick PE, Product Design, French, Business Studies, English and maybe Computer Science since I think my school is going to add it (Instead of the options I'm picking).
    it will probably make no difference but further maths might be more suitable because you would study 3 modules of statistics which may prove useful in a future job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Maths, biology and chemistry which you seem fairly firm on taking are good. Why will the school only let you do four? Most are fine with people taking five, at least at first to try them out.
    If you have to do four: For your interests it doesn't matter which one of the two you take and they are very similar subjects. Do your prefer maths or physics? If you prefer one over the other, pick that one. Further maths is harder if that influences your decision.

I can't comment on your other potential choices as I don't take them.
    Thank you for the help it was very useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    it will probably make no difference but further maths might be more suitable because you would study 3 modules of statistics which may prove useful in a future job
    Thank you for the help and the time you took out to give advice, it was useful.

ReputationRep:
    You would only take 3-4 modules of statistics if you opted to. Most schools/colleges don't teach past S2, so you may have to self study some modules if you took that route. Statistics is probably the most useful module type for you, but decision would probably be next most relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VuDoomer)

Biology/Chemistry/Maths is fine for studying whatever you want related to diseases. As for F Maths or Physics, both are equally as unimportant as the other in what you want to do, so pick whichever you like between the two. Also look up "bioinformatics", it's basically biology + computers moulded into one subject and it's being used a lot in genetics today. So computer science might be useful in that regard. Either way it doesn't matter what subject you pick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.