Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i'm looking at applying to BU for the September 2015 start.. Is anybody else? What are you studying and where are you hoping to live?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there GpaigeG,

I'm Chris and I started at BU last september, studying Marketing Communications as a part of the media school! I am loving it here at BU!! If you have any questions for current students, feel free to send them my way!

Chris
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by GpaigeG)
    i'm looking at applying to BU for the September 2015 start.. Is anybody else? What are you studying and where are you hoping to live?
    Hey

The applicant thread for 2015 link is below

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2854341

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm hoping to study media production and to live in dorchester house! what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tracy_Baby)
    Hey, i'm hoping to study media production and to live in dorchester house! what about you?
    Hi Tracy,

I study at Bournemouth University doing Television Production (We do similar stuff to media production!) and I also live in Dorchester house! So if you have any questions feel free to ask me

Gemma

ReputationRep:
    Hey Gemma! I was meant to go Bournemouth uni this year but ended up at Uca which I regret! I've been considering transferring to a uni in london but I'm not sure as I live here and quite fancy a change of scenery ..

Could you show me some pictures of Dorchester house pls as I know it's the most expensive accommodation so I'd like to see if it's worth the money or not.

Also, how are you finding the course and uni so far ? What's the nightlife like and the facilities and societies like ?

I have a friend at Bournemouth but haven't been able to visit yet although I did attend the open day in March last year.

Thanks and sorry for the essay! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey Gemma! I was meant to go Bournemouth uni this year but ended up at Uca which I regret! I've been considering transferring to a uni in london but I'm not sure as I live here and quite fancy a change of scenery ..

Could you show me some pictures of Dorchester house pls as I know it's the most expensive accommodation so I'd like to see if it's worth the money or not.

Also, how are you finding the course and uni so far ? What's the nightlife like and the facilities and societies like ?

I have a friend at Bournemouth but haven't been able to visit yet although I did attend the open day in March last year.

Thanks and sorry for the essay! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to hear that you regret going to your University!

Yes sure, I will send you a link to the Bournemouth Uni Undergrads Facebook page: www.bournemouth.ac.uk/ug-facebook

If you go on photo albums, there’s one called Bournemouth University Student Accommodation – all the photos have got a description of which they are.

There’s also info about Dorchester House on our website: http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommo...ter_house.html

Also I love the course/uni. My course is very practical and means we get to go out filming most weeks. We also produce lots of live studio shows which has been a whole new experience for me! I think all the staff in the media school are extremely friendly. There all bubbly and passionate about media.. not the stereotypical lecturers at all!

The nightlife is also a great in Bournemouth, especially if you stay in halls in town in your first year. Being close to town means no taxis and your able to pre-drink at different flats.

Bournemouth has lots of clubs and all offer a different student night every week. The main clubs are Halo, Cameo, BarMe, Yates, Sakura, Bonsi, Walkabout, O2 Academy, Lost Gardens and also the Firestation which is Bournemouth Universities own club.

In terms of societies theres over 100 to choice from so i'm sure your find something you enjoy! Bournemouth have lots of sports teams and as your interested in media, they also have things like 'Jump TV' which is Bournemouth own TV Channel and 'Nerve Media' which includes a radio station, magazine and news. There is also lots of charity events you can get involved with such as 'Legit' which is a 48 hour challenge to hitchhike has far as you possibly can.

How did you find the open day? Definitely try and come visit your friend, will be an excuse to have a great night out

Hope this has helped and if you have any more questions just let me know Gemma

ReputationRep:
    I doubt I'll have any time to visit this year but I'll definitely try! In terms of the course , media production offers 4yr with a 40 week placement or 3yrs with a 4 week placement .. Which one would you recommend? I know the 40 week one may seem obvious. But with the current year now having been wasted kinda .. I just don't wanna do another year of uni if you get what I mean. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when the next open/applicant day at BU is ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know when the next open/applicant day at BU is ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Tracy,

There was one yesterday! But all is not lost
    There is one on the 4th Feb, and a couple more to come later in the year. Check out the link here: http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/futures...open-days.html
    I hope that helps, and that you find the time to come to Bournemouth. It's a really lovely town

Alice

ReputationRep:
    Omg ! I wasn't even at uni yesterday! I so could've gone when is the applicant day ? Like the one specifically for media production courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Omg ! I wasn't even at uni yesterday! I so could've gone when is the applicant day ? Like the one specifically for media production courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Tracy,

Alice is right, there are more opportunities coming up to visit BU. As you've already applied, you might want to come to an Applicant Open Day. If you receive an offer from BU, we'll send you details of how to book on to one of these, so don't worry! In the meantime, there's some more information on our website.

Hope that helps,
    Katie

ReputationRep:
    what you planning to do for your 5 things about me?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Omg the way that's stressed me. Last yr I applied for the same course and wasn't asked to do this! I think I'll mention stuff to do with the course (like 3 things) then 2 personal things.. What about you ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I doubt I'll have any time to visit this year but I'll definitely try! In terms of the course , media production offers 4yr with a 40 week placement or 3yrs with a 4 week placement .. Which one would you recommend? I know the 40 week one may seem obvious. But with the current year now having been wasted kinda .. I just don't wanna do another year of uni if you get what I mean. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Tracy,

I guess it comes down to personal preference and you don' t have to make a decision right away. I believe if you apply to do a 4 week placement and then change your mind, it is fine to do so. I am only in my first year and they haven't spoke about what people want to do yet, so there's no need to rush a decision

I personally think I am more swayed to do the 4 week placement rather than the whole year. I would prefer to do 4 weeks work experience, finish my degree in 3 years and then try to get into the industry. However, this is my personal preference and I may be swayed to do 4 weeks because I already took a gap year and like you said, would rather not spend an extra year at University. I already have experience in the industry from my gap year and believe if I try really hard, could hopefully get more over summers and build my CV that way.

However, I have spoke to many people who would disagree with me and rather do the 40 week placement. I completely see why they would want to do that, as a whole year in industry will get a head start. I guess everyone is different and you should just see how you feel nearer the time

I hope this helps!
    Gemma

ReputationRep:
    I've got an interview on 5th March for operating department practice. Hoping to stay at home in Portsmouth and maybe commute. I attended bournemouth university in 2009 studying adult nursing but left after a year due to personal difficulties.
    Hope everyone is well.

sammy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.