The Student Room Group

Switching Courses

Hi everyone,

I'm new to TSR, and I'm a fresher at Cambridge: I just started as a Classics undergraduate at Pembroke in October.

Within the first term I've already become pretty disillusioned with my course: there are parts of it that interest me of course, but there are parts of it which I really dislike. Most importantly, the language side of the course, which is 50% (and affects the other 50% of the course) is something which I really hate. I find it difficult, but also my interest in it, and my effort to improve, has seriously declined. I find most lectures uninspiring and haven't felt able to connect with any of my supervisors - in a lot of my supervisions I have been pretty quiet, just because I have no genuine interest in contributing to the conversation.

I don't know whether it's the change from school to university that has caused me to feel so negatively towards my course, but I'm seriously considering switching courses. I find the reading and writing essays side of the course completely manageable (but i haven't necessarily been interested in the majority of the essay topics).

I'm considering changing to History of Art, which course-wise, shouldn't be too big a change. I enjoy reading and writing essays, and always have had an interest in art, but I've never studied History of Art as a subject before, so I'm uncertain. Studying Classics at university has been my mindset for the past four years so making such a big change scares me.

Does anyone know whether a change in such subjects/similar subjects has been made before?
If anyone at Pembroke/studying History of Art/studying Classics knows anything about switches and could help me, I'd be so grateful.

Also if any Art Historians could shed light on the workload/content of the course (because the website isn't that helpful) I'd appreciate it. Specifically, how much philosophy is part of the course, because I really hate philosophy. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending