Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Two questions:

1) What sort of work experience placements could I look for, which would be somewhat related to History or Politics?

2) Do universities really care about work experience, especially considering the course for which I am applying (History and Politics) is non-vocational? Do other universities care more than Oxbridge?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    You don't need work experience, altho relevant extra curriculars such as further reading are important

ReputationRep:
    For non-vocational courses such as yours, the work experience doesn't have to relate directly to the course. In this case, all universities want to see is the skills you learned and how they could be applied to your course/university experience. Any kind of work/volunteering experience would look great here if you manage to convincingly show how you benefited from it!

If you have a lot of extra curricular stuff going for you though, the work experience won't matter 'that' much to you (outside Oxbridge standard). It's more of an extra opportunity to show yourself in a positive light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014FHD)
    For non-vocational courses such as yours, the work experience doesn't have to relate directly to the course. In this case, all universities want to see is the skills you learned and how they could be applied to your course/university experience. Any kind of work/volunteering experience would look great here if you manage to convincingly show how you benefited from it!

If you have a lot of extra curricular stuff going for you though, the work experience won't matter 'that' much to you (outside Oxbridge standard). It's more of an extra opportunity to show yourself in a positive light.
    I'm sorry but this advice isn't correct at all. For academic courses, things that aren't relevant to the course won't really be considered when making a decision. Irrelevant work/volunteering/extra curriculars should take up less than 25% of the personal statement, the applicant doesn't need to waste characters discussing them. Having work experience or not will have no bearing on admission to uni for history or politics.

Instead, applicants should focus on reading around their subject and showing an interest in the subject beyond the school curriculum- for example by going to public lectures relevant to the subject.

ReputationRep:
    OP did you apply for 2015 or are you applying for 2016?

If you need help with politics books/work experience ideas I may be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    Prior to my application being sent off is never worked a day in my life and got 5 offers from mid-top universities, for chemistry.
    Only in subjects like medicine I think it's required.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.