Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be living there next year (Flat 2, room 7!) and the uni site doesn't have much information available at all, I managed to find some pics on here but the post mentioned that the rooms vary a lot

Does anyone live here or lived there in the past? Pictures and information would be really appreciated, especially flat 2

I assume it's mixed sex but how many people live in each flat? I know it's pretty central so is noise a problem? Who mostly lives there (undergrads/postgrads/mature students?)

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am a current student just going into my third year, which will be abroad but planning to live at St George's flats for my final year in 2016, hopefully, so already started looking into what it's like.

I assume you found the pictures in this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...17395&page=194 (scroll down) and the virtual tour on the accommodation website, which shows the kitchen and one room. Just choose 'St George's' from the dropdown menu. http://360degreevirtualtours.group.s...aduate/ensuite

Yes, this building is mixed sex. One flat has 14 rooms and one has 15, but I'm not sure which is which. You can view the brochure for St George's here. http://returners.group.shef.ac.uk/as...s/stgeorge.pdf and it says there are three kitchens in each flat, as well as a communal toilet, although all rooms are en-suite anyway. It mentions the room sizes but it doesn't seem a huge difference to me. Kitchens look really modern. I can't wait as I was at Jonas Court the past 2 years (catered, one kitchen between 30). It wasn't great.

I've only been in St George's for lectures but noise didn't seem to be an issue. Although it's really central, close to West Street, with all the shops and everything, I don't think it will be excessively noisy. There's quite a bit of land around it, formerly a graveyard, although the graves are empty now. I'm sure Endcliffe village was noisier than St George's will be as it's full of Fresher's.

St George's is one of the properties marketed on the accommodation site for returning students, so undergraduates who are not first year, mature students and post-grads. The Uni set aside some properties for returners as they believe living with Fresher's can be noisier and more distracting and academically things get harder in second year. I certainly found that living in the same room I had as a Fresher with all new first year housemates, as a second year, I had more work on and yet I wanted to party with them. Noise wasn't bad though. You'll probably be with second years or above or mature students but not necessarily. Depends on demand and there may be first years too. Doesn't mean it'll be all quiet and no fun but probably a bit calmer than the student villages.

Let me know how you like it. I can't wait to live there. Think it will be a great place for 4th year as is so central and a bit quirky as well. They have nesting peregrines in the roof.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.