Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was diagnosed with migraines a few years ago (not a bad headache but attacks where I partially lose my vision and go very dizzy, can't read, write, speak or understand anything anyone says to me, lost feeling in my hands/ lower arms and feet and feel trapped in my own body which is then followed by about a week of horrible headache) and back then I used to get them only every three to four months or so. There isn't a great deal of knowledge about migraines or headaches in general so I'm told, and when I have an attack I was told to take painkillers and rest. This was fine back then but now they're increasing in frequency and I'm getting headaches every single day (if anyone's experienced ice pick headaches the intensity of pain is similar only it's more like a drilling into the side of head than a stabbing sensation) as well as feeling constantly tired (as soon as I get in I go to bed and sleep, and I can't concentrate at school) as well as getting dizzy and breathless when I get up and being really light sensitive (I'm wearing sunglasses in school in winter and look and feel like an absolute numpty). I can't keep taking time off (I'm currently taking at least a day off a week and sometimes huge chunks) and it's affecting my school work as well as my ability to do things out of school because getting through the day with it is so exhausting. I dont know what to do, I'd talk to my head of sixth form but other than moan about my medical problem there's nothing I can think of that she can do so how do I cope with this?!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    What has your GP done so far? Have you been referred to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You should tell your school the situation as soon as possible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You may also be entitled to some exam arrangments. Although, I can't think off the top of my head what would help you.

ReputationRep:
    My GP gave me more migraine tablets and told me to go home and just rest when I get them

Are you drinking enough water and pacing yourself..in between study lying in a dark room with no blue light technology!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is your diet like?

I used to get migraines once a week (I would get flashing lights in both my eyes, I can't see for like 10 minutes then I will get a sharp stabbing pain on one side of my head and that would last for hours) I now get them once every 2 months. My GP told me to stop eating chocolate and cheese. You should get them less and less as you get older.

Do you wear glasses? What about when you watch tv?

ReputationRep:
    Keep going back to your doctor, there are lots of treatment options, starting with triptans, which work to get rid of the migraine, and also medications you can take every day to prevent them. It can be a trial and error process, but you can get treatment.

I've suffered with them all my life, but in the past 3 years they've increased in frequency and I get around 10 a month, sumatriptan (imigran) works for me to take away the pain, but I do feel tired and achey from it.

My GP has also tried me on a couple of things to prevent them (sanomigran and propranolol - a GP can also prescribe amitryptiline as a preventative) but as these haven't worked, I've been referred to see a neurologist, who may look into why I'm getting so many and try different medication that the GP won't prescribe first hand.

What might be helpful for you is to keep a migrain and food/activity diary, to see if you can spot any patterns or triggers for your migraines, if you're female, keep a period calendar too... you might find hormones have a part to play (I know I get most of mine leading up to ovulation) Stress and lack of sleep can also be causes. Have you had your eyes tested recently?

You should also speak to the school college and your doctor about how your migraines are affecting your studies, you should be able to look into getting some help, like extra considerations in exams if your migraines limit your general study/revision/the exams themselves.

It sounds like the doctor you've been seeing really hasn't been as helpful as they could be. You're perfectly entitled to ask to see a different doctor at your surgery, who might be more understanding and offer your more treatment options. Make sure you push the point that you're getting these every day, and its severely affecting your quality of life. Don't just accept your migraines,
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You have been given some really advice here. If you're not happy with what the GP has said to you, you are entitled to see another GP.

I have something different to you, which most doctors were treating as migraine. Because of other medication I'm on, I can't a lot of what is normally prescribed. I currently take Topamax, which with the exception of last week, has been wonderful. (I will ignore the lack of sleep and bloody weird dreams)

I did get migraines as a teenager and found I had various triggers, including light (I wear sunglasses as my normal glasses) and certain foods can sometimes be a trigger. I am also finding that periods are a trigger.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a girl....Do you use birth control?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.