Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MacBook Air or Pro for Uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will make this as short as i possibly can. I'm NOT a huge Mac fan, i've been a PC user my entire life and i've used an iMac for my last year of college and was really not a massive fan, but due to my uni course i'm literally forced to get one but i'm going in blind. Here are my needs and i would really really appreciate advice as i'm completely unfamiliar with Macs in terms of what i need (all the techie stuff) My course is Film and TV Production, of which the editing software being used is Final Cut Pro. (so i guess you can see my predicament) 8gb of ram is enough for what i want (i think)

Editing video and photo (i will be handling large files and condensing them to edit. Needs a clear HD screen as it will be high profile editing)
    General use (browsing, word documents etc.)
    Streaming (i watch a lot of netflix and youtube)
    Casual gaming (so dont need a crazy graphics card)

The whole space issue isn't a massive deal for me as i just plan on getting an external hard drive (i would rather do that than spend an extra £150 or so for bigger storage)

Based on this which would be better? Any Media students advice would be really really helpful too as i would like to know which laptops are best to use

ReputationRep:
    if you're using software like Final Cut Pro i suggest you buy the pro

ReputationRep:
    Pro hands down.

The Airs are underpowered, don't come with 8GB by default and have a much worse screen.

I did Digital Media and yes Macs are generally the default choice in these subjects.

Kind of odd your using Final Cut though. Thought most places had moved on to Premiere Pro since Final Cut X came out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca sharp)
    I will make this as short as i possibly can. I'm NOT a huge Mac fan, i've been a PC user my entire life and i've used an iMac for my last year of college and was really not a massive fan, but due to my uni course i'm literally forced to get one but i'm going in blind. Here are my needs and i would really really appreciate advice as i'm completely unfamiliar with Macs in terms of what i need (all the techie stuff) My course is Film and TV Production, of which the editing software being used is Final Cut Pro. (so i guess you can see my predicament) 8gb of ram is enough for what i want (i think)

Editing video and photo (i will be handling large files and condensing them to edit. Needs a clear HD screen as it will be high profile editing)

The whole space issue isn't a massive deal for me as i just plan on getting an external hard drive (i would rather do that than spend an extra £150 or so for bigger storage)

Based on this which would be better? Any Media students advice would be really really helpful too as i would like to know which laptops are best to use
    Based on your needs.........the Pro Retina.
    Gaming, depends on the games and which Mac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca sharp)

Hi Becca

I am currently studying TV production at Bournemouth University and I know a lot of people have got Macs on my course and most of us have the pro, so I would suggest buying that one

Don't worry I felt the same before I got a Mac as I was always a Windows girl! But you soon get use to it.. I now prefer Macs!

Gemma

ReputationRep:
    MacBook Pro comes with Retina display which gives high screen resolution and eye candy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.