Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I go for head boy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So right now my school's going through head boy nominations and I've been dropped a hint I'm on the top of the student management team's list for nominees. There's a general consensus that if I'm invited to apply for head boy I'll get it.
    However I'm not sure if I should accept the invitation and essentially become head boy next year.
    I'm interested in doing politics and/or international relations at uni (to move on to journalism as a career), and next year I'm worried I'll be too busy doing my a-levels (english lit, drama, history, psychology) to be doing all the activities I'm planning to do.
    I'm planning to do the school musical, because it's my last year and I definitely want to do a last one before I leave.
    I love MUN and I want to do a lot of conferences (+relevant for politics, international relations).
    I'm going to be editor-in-chief of the school magazine and head of the committee for the magazine (relevant for journalism)
    AND I write for a proper magazine on the side as well, and I submit articles every or every other week (also relevant).

I love doing all these things, but when it comes to head boy I'm really not sure if I would even vaguely enjoy it. I mean, I love public speaking, but when it comes to organising events and dealing with SMT and their bs I really dread taking the role on. But then people tell me I should go for it because I'd definitely get it (I get good grades, good at public speaking, people 'respect me'), it'll look good on my CV and it's good for politics. Also I want to apply to a top uni, so people are saying that'd help.

WHAT DO I DO?

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore became Head Boy, as well as a Prefect, all whilst completing exams for over 8 subjects, and he went on to be the greatest Wizard that ever lived.

I think that if you prioritise what is and isn't important in your life and maybe give up something that seems trivial, you can balance all these things. You are clearly performing better than any other rivals/students/candidates and you shouldn't miss this opportunity. It will definitely look great on your UCAS form as it gives you the edge of looking like an active member of the school community, which goes hand in hands with Politics and Public relations. Go for it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WinterCoffee)
    Dumbledore became Head Boy, as well as a Prefect, all whilst completing exams for over 8 subjects, and he went on to be the greatest Wizard that ever lived.

I think that if you prioritise what is and isn't important in your life and maybe give up something that seems trivial, you can balance all these things. You are clearly performing better than any other rivals/students/candidates and you shouldn't miss this opportunity. It will definitely look great on your UCAS form as it gives you the edge of looking like an active member of the school community, which goes hand in hands with Politics and Public relations. Go for it!!!
    I'm going for it 😊
    Thanks for your help!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.