The Student Room Group

MRes with 2.2 undergrad

Hello everyone,

I'm in my third year of Biochemistry in York and my marks aren't so great whatsoever. I'm working on improving them but I'm worried about my career perspectives having a 2.2. My original plan was doing a MRes somewhere in London but I'm aware that it's unrealistic at the moment.

Second year marks are 40% of my degree mark so I would need something like an average of 65 this year to make it up to a 2.1 and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it (and yet I would only have a 2.1!). I do have some research experience (a summer internship and took part in a synthetic biology competition twice during my degree).

Any advice or experiences on the matter? What can I do if I don't find a master at all?
I'm pretty much worried so any help is welcome.
Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
That's okay. My advice is not to worry too much about the end result and just do your best with your third year assignments and exams. Don't think ahead too much, there will be some time after your exams to apply for masters degrees. As long as you are organised, and do a certain number of hours of work per week, you will be fine.
Original post by Ric_94
Hello everyone,

I'm in my third year of Biochemistry in York and my marks aren't so great whatsoever. I'm working on improving them but I'm worried about my career perspectives having a 2.2. My original plan was doing a MRes somewhere in London but I'm aware that it's unrealistic at the moment.

Second year marks are 40% of my degree mark so I would need something like an average of 65 this year to make it up to a 2.1 and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it (and yet I would only have a 2.1!). I do have some research experience (a summer internship and took part in a synthetic biology competition twice during my degree).

Any advice or experiences on the matter? What can I do if I don't find a master at all?
I'm pretty much worried so any help is welcome.
Thanks.

Sorry to sound a little harsh but if your struggling to average 65% on an undergraduate degree, how will you manage at masters level? It is a whole new step up. Go and see your tutors to identify where you are going wrong.
just do your work. You have no excuses really, because your screwing yourself over if you get a 2.2.
Reply 4
Hello again,

Thanks everyone for your replies. I understand I'm already screwed so thanks for your honesty. However, I think I'm dedicated to the lab work and doing reading for my experiments, etc and I'm also good at it!; maybe I'm too naïf but being good at passing exams doesn't have to correlate with being good at a research or wet lab level.

Again, thank you very much. I'll keep working and try my best.
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ric_94
Hello again,

Thanks everyone for your replies. I understand I'm already screwed so thanks for your honesty. However, I think I'm dedicated to the lab work and doing reading for my experiments, etc and I'm also good at it!; maybe I'm too naïf but being good at passing exams doesn't have to correlate with being good at a research or wet lab level.

Again, thank you very much. I'll keep working and try my best.
:smile:

No but the masters has to be assessed somehow and exams can't contribute to your entire undergraduate grade
It is possible to get on a postgraduate degree with a 2:2. Not ALL postgraduate degrees will be open to you but a number of them still will and you only need one yes.

Stay positive and try your best. Keep calm and carry on and all that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending