The Student Room Group

Quick partial derivatives question

I've got a quick question: for a function f(x,y)f(x,y) does dydx=fyfx\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{f_y}{f_x}?
Original post by Monaa123
I've got a quick question: for a function f(x,y)f(x,y) does dydx=fyfx\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{f_y}{f_x}?

I have very little experience with partial derivatives but I swear I recall dydx=fxfy\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{f_x}{f_y} in this context. I could be wrong though.
Reply 2
Original post by alex2100x
I have very little experience with partial derivatives but I swear I recall dydx=fxfy\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{f_x}{f_y} in this context. I could be wrong though.

It might be? I know that the contours at f = constant have a slope dydx=fxfy\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{f_x}{f_y} I don't really understand the relationship between contours and derivatives though.
Reply 3
Let z=f(x,y)=0z = f(x,y) = 0

δz=zxδx+zyδy \delta z = \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial x} \delta x + \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y} \delta y

Divide through by δx\delta x and let δx0 \delta x \rightarrow 0

dzdx=zx+zydydx \dfrac{dz}{dx} = \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y} \dfrac{dy}{dx}

Our initial statement z=f(x,y)=0z = f(x,y) = 0 means that dzdx=0 \dfrac{dz}{dx} = 0

Thus:

0=zx+zydydx 0 = \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y} \dfrac{dy}{dx}

dydx=fxfy \dfrac{dy}{dx} = -\dfrac{f_x}{f_y}
Reply 4
Original post by Phichi
Let z=f(x,y)=0z = f(x,y) = 0

δz=zxδx+zyδy \delta z = \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial x} \delta x + \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y} \delta y

Divide through by δx\delta x and let δx0 \delta x \rightarrow 0

dzdx=zx+zydydx \dfrac{dz}{dx} = \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y} \dfrac{dy}{dx}

Our initial statement z=f(x,y)=0z = f(x,y) = 0 means that dzdx=0 \dfrac{dz}{dx} = 0

Thus:

0=zx+zydydx 0 = \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial x} + \dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y} \dfrac{dy}{dx}

dydx=fxfy \dfrac{dy}{dx} = -\dfrac{f_x}{f_y}

Ohh, that makes sense. Thank you!

So the gradient of the plane is the same as the gradient of the contour? But then what is the gradient vector f\bigtriangledown f and why is that orthogonal to the contours?
Reply 5
So I was going over it. And the line perpendicular to the contour has the slope 1fx/fy=fyfx \frac{-1}{f_x/f_y} = \frac{f_y}{f_x} so to be orthogonal it has to be parallel to f=(fx,fy)\nabla f = (f_x,f_y) but I don't understand how it's parallel? It's probably something really obvious but I just can't see it :/

Quick Reply

Latest