Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So I have been looking around at all the major investment banks and it appears that all of their work experience schemes are full!

I need to find work experience this year but I am not sure what to do!

Can someone please advice me what I should to because I am really worried that not finding work experience will impact my career in the future and getting into university!

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEBen)
    Hi everyone,

So I have been looking around at all the major investment banks and it appears that all of their work experience schemes are full!

I need to find work experience this year but I am not sure what to do!

Can someone please advice me what I should to because I am really worried that not finding work experience will impact my career in the future and getting into university!

Many thanks in advance,

Ben
    If you are pre-university, I don't think you need to panic / worry about this.

Normal route => Spring Week => hope to convert Summer Internship => hope to convert to grad job

even a spring week isn't an essential, it's definitely easier to convert to a summer internship if you have completed the SW, but many people don't succeed in SW apps but are successful in summer internship applications.

Pre university, the best thing you can be doing is to strengthen your CV ... charity work, leadership positions, trading/investing with real/dummy accounts etc.

If you can't get relevant work experience down the official channels (although not sure there is that much available for pre-uni students tbh...) then try family/friends who work in the industry

General advice: you're better off trying to improve your CV, so when you get into university you can apply for SW's with a strong application

find work exp if you can, but don't panic if you can't find any

ReputationRep:
    http://www.studentladder.co.uk/6thform/banking.html

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.