Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Lol. Well ...deary....I kind of had a few sips already, but that's all! I feel wide awake still and it's 5am. I'm going to make it till 9pm tonight.
    tut tut. you must reists. alternatively, i've heard rumours about propping eyes open with matchsticks. now, i must warn you it could result in scratching your eye or even (in sever cases) blindness, but perhaps give it a try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArisGreenleaf)
    Lol. Well ...deary....I kind of had a few sips already, but that's all! I feel wide awake still and it's 5am. I'm going to make it till 9pm tonight.

They're great! I sent my mommy one too and now she thinks I'm so thoughtful.
    if you're in America atm, doesn't it mean it's something like 4/5am? don't you have school/work to go to later...

ReputationRep:
    OK- here's the thing:

I am doing A level psychology in a year this year- AS on tuesday evening and A2 on thursday evening. we used to have the same teacher for both but from christmas we only had him for AS and had a new teacher for A2. Anyway, i have really enjoyed psychology with our AS teacher, but the problem is that college have made him leave- 2 weeks before our first exam becuase there have apparently been some complaints. Anyway, I never got the chance to thank him in person for all the hard work he has done, and I also wanted to tell him that he has really inspired me to take psychology further and as a result i am going to be studying it a birmingham uni next year! The question is- do you think it would be appropriate for me to send him a thank-you card? Either just an email, an e-card or an actual card....? Do you think college would give me the address to send an actual card to- i know where he lives but it is flats and i don't know what number...would the postman put it in the right flat for me?

I really want to do something- just to let him know that his work was appreciated- even if college didn't appreciate it.

Any comments would be welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    My teachers have sent me e-cards before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    if you're in America atm, doesn't it mean it's something like 4/5am? don't you have school/work to go to later...
    On summer vacation. I'm visiting my older sisters before I go abroad next year. I wont start working until next month when I go to visit my mom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    OK- here's the thing:

I am doing A level psychology in a year this year- AS on tuesday evening and A2 on thursday evening. we used to have the same teacher for both but from christmas we only had him for AS and had a new teacher for A2. Anyway, i have really enjoyed psychology with our AS teacher, but the problem is that college have made him leave- 2 weeks before our first exam becuase there have apparently been some complaints. Anyway, I never got the chance to thank him in person for all the hard work he has done, and I also wanted to tell him that he has really inspired me to take psychology further and as a result i am going to be studying it a birmingham uni next year! The question is- do you think it would be appropriate for me to send him a thank-you card? Either just an email, an e-card or an actual card....? Do you think college would give me the address to send an actual card to- i know where he lives but it is flats and i don't know what number...would the postman put it in the right flat for me?

I really want to do something- just to let him know that his work was appreciated- even if college didn't appreciate it.

Any comments would be welcomed.
    i think an e-card would be better because sending a card to his actual address means you've gone out of your way to find out where he lives and he might get a little frightened. an e-card is casual but you can tell him what you want. either that or an e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    i think an e-card would be better because sending a card to his actual address means you've gone out of your way to find out where he lives and he might get a little frightened. an e-card is casual but you can tell him what you want. either that or an e-mail.
    yeah i think you are right- anyone know any good e-card sites for thank-you cards??

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think you are right- anyone know any good e-card sites for thank-you cards??
    Try this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Try this
    thank you Cate!!

ReputationRep:
    actually ruthie, i still think that proper cards feel more significant, since you have to spend money buying one.

just send the card care of (c/o) the school, and it will be put into his pigeonhole, so he will read it when he returns from holiday, etc.

ecards are quite an informal thing (i only send it to friends/family etc), and I don't think it is a decent substitute for a proper thank you letter or card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    actually ruthie, i still think that proper cards feel more significant, since you have to spend money buying one.

just send the card care of (c/o) the school, and it will be put into his pigeonhole, so he will read it when he returns from holiday, etc.

ecards are quite an informal thing (i only send it to friends/family etc), and I don't think it is a decent substitute for a proper thank you letter or card.
    the problem is that he isn't coming back......he doesn't have a job anymore
    otherwise i would give it to him in person.....

what do you suggest?

ReputationRep:

what do you suggest?
    oh sorry, i didn't read your post completely.

I'm sure your college would be more than happy to forward correspondance to him, if you send it to the school. yours can't be an isolated case - plenty of people have wanted to send cards to teachers who have left, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:

what do you suggest?
    Some guy once wrote a letter to a teacher that he fancied, and all he wrote on the envelope was the person's initials, then posted it. It turned up at her house a week later
    Might not be the best idea though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Some guy once wrote a letter to a teacher that he fancied, and all he wrote on the envelope was the person's initials, then posted it. It turned up at her house a week later
    Might not be the best idea though
    if you know what block of flats he lives in, if you wrote his name on the envelope too it'd probably get to him or at least to his building where it's sure to find him eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    if you know what block of flats he lives in, if you wrote his name on the envelope too it'd probably get to him or at least to his building where it's sure to find him eventually.
    but the contact gets too informal if you find someone's address. if ruthie and her teacher want to stay in contact after college (no implications meant btw ) then the teacher should release his address/email to her, and then things can go on from there.

i think it would break the etiquette if ruthie went and dug up her teacher's address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    but the contact gets too informal if you find someone's address. if ruthie and her teacher want to stay in contact after college (no implications meant btw ) then the teacher should release his address/email to her, and then things can go on from there.

i think it would break the etiquette if ruthie went and dug up her teacher's address.
    that's what i was afraid of....
    he has given the class his email so i know that...but i only know where he lives cos i dropped him home once!

i think i will just email it to him- in case he thinks im stalking him!!

ReputationRep:
    cant be bothered to send an e-mail.. ill just TXT...

ReputationRep:
    I tried it. Unfortunately, i had no idea who it was too, as i just found their e-mail address in my address book.
    Apparently the last time i mailed them i was less than sober, shall we say, and said some things that.....
    Well, that i shouldn't have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I tried it. Unfortunately, i had no idea who it was too, as i just found their e-mail address in my address book.
    Apparently the last time i mailed them i was less than sober, shall we say, and said some things that.....
    Well, that i shouldn't have
    Hey ive done that! but added people to MSN. They werent too impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penthesilia)
    Hey ive done that! but added people to MSN. They werent too impressed.
    I'm now trying to find out what exactly i said to them.
    I apparently wasn't so drunk that i didn't forget to delete it from my outbox, and the reply from my inbox somehow.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.