Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm doing a degree in English and Communication studies. My university contact times are between 6-8 hours a week. I have to pay for my textbooks like most students. The most recent research I have studied is at least 15 years old.

On the other hand, my friends are studying Pharmacology or Veterinary Science. Their contact hours are 25-30 hours a week. They also get free lab coats, as well as all their equipment and material for experiments paid for.

What I want to know is, is this fair?

Is it fair that I can receive just over a 5th of the contact time they receive and still pay £9000 per year? I always joke that I am funding my friends degrees, but am I? They seem to be getting better value for money.

I also think BSc degrees are much more valued than BA degrees. Is this fair?

I am now in my second year of university. If I knew how valued BSc degrees were I would have chosen different A Levels. I got A* in maths and science at GCSE so it would have been possible to attain good A Level grades. My worst subject was English yet I felt inspired by it so I pursued that in my A Levels instead, and subsequently am studying English at University. Sorry for making this post personal but I feel like chosen a path that has lead to a less valuable degree and with less help and support at university. Does anyone else feel the same?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I also feel like I am subsidising science based degrees; I'm doing french and feel like 9k a year is way extortionate for what I get, and yet there are those who get at least 3 times as many contact hours, and get to use expensive equipment and chemicals etc and pay exactly the same.
    That said, if arts degrees were significantly cheaper then people may opt not to do a science degree purely based on price.
    At the end of the day, never regret studying something you enjoy, pursuing something you enjoy has a lot more value than pursuing something based on 'prestige', unless you have a specific career in mind.

ReputationRep:
    I think some degrees are definitely worth the money e.g law, medicine, natural sciences
    But some aren'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaylaleigh)
    I also feel like I am subsidising science based degrees; I'm doing french and feel like 9k a year is way extortionate for what I get, and yet there are those who get at least 3 times as many contact hours, and get to use expensive equipment and chemicals etc and pay exactly the same.
    That said, if arts degrees were significantly cheaper then people may opt not to do a science degree purely based on price.
    At the end of the day, never regret studying something you enjoy, pursuing something you enjoy has a lot more value than pursuing something based on 'prestige', unless you have a specific career in mind.
    Yeah I understand, I obviously enjoy my course I just wish the price was more related to the contact hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    I think some degrees are definitely worth the money e.g law, medicine, natural sciences
    But some aren'.
    I don't this is fair

ReputationRep:
    No. Don't forget by doing English you are subsidising medical students, most of your fees go to paying for medical students' equipment.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.