Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If homosexuals can get married why can't heteros have civil partnerships? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Seems fair to me...

ReputationRep:
    To the best of my knowledge there isn't really any meaningful difference between the two (bar the name), though I'd be happy for some people more knowledgable on the law to correct me.

ReputationRep:
    You can have a civil ceremony, how that compares to a civil partnership i don't know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :banghead:

You do realise people can get a non-religious wedding, which is literally all a civil partnership is?

They can get married now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    Seems fair to me...
    Because no one has campaigned for it, so the law has never changed. There's literally no advantage to it, so no one really cares about it.

I guess if you wanted to be totally fair then they should be able to, but I don't think anyone is willing to waste that much time and effort on changing such a trivial thing.

ReputationRep:
    There's no need for it. The only reason civil partnerships exist at all is because until recently gay people couldn't get married, and civil partnerships were introduced as an alternative probably because gay marriage would have had even more opposition back then than it gets today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    Seems fair to me...
    They can if they marry have it with someone of the same sex....

So its perfectly fair.

ReputationRep:
    I say get rid of marriage for everyone and only have civil partnerships for everyone. And that includes polyamorous people as well.

ReputationRep:
    I think it makes sense to use civil partnerships as a lower tier of marriage. It'd just involve two people signing a form, and all the legislative benefits of marriage, but without the cultural impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BefuddledPenguin)
    I think it makes sense to use civil partnerships as a lower tier of marriage. It'd just involve two people signing a form, and all the legislative benefits of marriage, but without the cultural impact.
    What does that even mean?

Wouldn't a marriage at a registry office without witnesses do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What does that even mean?

Wouldn't a marriage at a registry office without witnesses do that?
    By cultural impact I was referring to the whole wedding culture, this refers to big ceremonies and the fact that many people don't see you as a legitimate couple until marriage.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Because no one has campaigned for it
    ummm

yes they have:
    http://equallove.org.uk/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30586950

ReputationRep:
    I stand corrected then.
    Although there's nowhere near the same amount of pressure on same sex civil partnerships as there is on gay marriage

ReputationRep:
    maybe because there's 0 demand from heteros for civil partnerships ?

ReputationRep:
    By cultural impact I was referring to the whole wedding culture, this refers to big ceremonies and the fact that many people don't see you as a legitimate couple until marriage.
    Don't have a big ceremoney then?

Would many people see you as a legitimate couple if you'd had a civil partnership?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Don't have a big ceremoney then?

Would many people see you as a legitimate couple if you'd had a civil partnership?
    No, it'd be like cohabiting, only more official in legislative terms.

ReputationRep:
    No, it'd be like cohabiting, only more official in legislative terms.
    By 'more' you mean 'entirely'?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.